Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

TFT is NOT named correctly! **Possible Spoilers**

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
TFT is NOT named correctly! **Possible Spoilers**
Post by White Tallon   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am

White Tallon
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

This book should be titled:

"Through the Laws of Murphy"

I know the title mentions "Fiery Trials," but I think our dear MWW decided to play Murphy in this book. I have just reached Chapter 2 of October, Year of God 905, so I'm not even half way through the thing, but so far, everything that CAN go wrong, HAS gone wrong!

Did he dictate it while sitting under the Sword of Schueler (aka Damocles), with the words "Remember Murphy! ALWAYS Murphy!" posted on the wall across from him?
-

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937
Re: TFT is NOT named correctly! **Possible Spoilers**
Post by thanatos   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

White Tallon wrote:This book should be titled:

"Through the Laws of Murphy"

I know the title mentions "Fiery Trials," but I think our dear MWW decided to play Murphy in this book. I have just reached Chapter 2 of October, Year of God 905, so I'm not even half way through the thing, but so far, everything that CAN go wrong, HAS gone wrong!

Did he dictate it while sitting under the Sword of Schueler (aka Damocles), with the words "Remember Murphy! ALWAYS Murphy!" posted on the wall across from him?

Not so much Murphy's Law as it is a natural continuation of social, technological and economic processes. Siddarmark's economic troubles and the hostility towards the returning Temple Loyalists refugees are a natural continuation of the economic damage the Sword of Schueler. The speculators that screw so many things up are therefore equally a natural continuation due to human weakness. And as the book covers a time period of nearly 20 local years, many key players during the Jihad die, either peacefully or by violence, also as a consequence of the Jihad (mirroring real people in Earth history).

FDR had died of a stroke while in office but it was clear that his health was deteriorating (as seen in his unwillingness to fight the DNC over the choice of VP in the 1944 convention, which saw Truman replace Wallace). Winston Churchill also suffered a stroke during his tenure after WWII, though he didn't die of it. Joseph Stalin would eventually die of a cerebral hemorrhage 8 years after that same war. So the three great leaders of that war did not last long after it. During the course of this book, many of the older leaders die "off screen", like Cahnnyr and Qwentyn, even before the events of the book, while others, like Duchairn, Thirsk and Stohnahr die here - but all from natural causes brought about by stress. And all of their deaths left their successors with problems that could not easily be resolved without their gravitas or the faith the public had in them because of their action in the Jihad. The same was true of many of the leaders from that "greatest generation".
Re: TFT is NOT named correctly! **Possible Spoilers**
Post by ChaChaCharms   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pm

ChaChaCharms
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Personally I felt some emotional moments in the first half of the book but felt it really began to drag.. I know he is trying to keep the ball rolling, but it just seemed like there was a lot of death of big players throughout the first half of the book; that to me were discussed as matter of factly as saying that it rained yesterday.

The book finally had my heart racing during the hunting trip... and I hope there are a few more action packed scenes in the rest of the book.

Return to Safehold