Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #13

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #13
Post by USMA74   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:37 pm

USMA74
Commander

I remember all the discussion over a "fatal wound" for a certain EOC duke in the LAMA snippets. I will happily buy a virtual round at the bar if RFC is not pulling our collective chain. I bet he left his computer whistling happily to himself right after typing this bonus snippet. :lol:
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:39 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

USMA74 wrote:I remember all the discussion over a "fatal wound" for a certain EOC duke in the LAMA snippets. I will happily buy a virtual round at the bar if RFC is not pulling our collective chain. I bet he left his computer whistling happily to himself right after typing this bonus snippet. :lol:

So any wagers on how long it took him to decide that throw that particular edited snippet out? Not on whether or not he was chuckling evilly - that's a given.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by BrigadeΔ   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:26 am

BrigadeΔ
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So it's not "no child left behind" anymore it is now "no good character left alive"? Maybe I should give those zombie books that I have never read a chance, less corpses are around.
Last edited by BrigadeΔ on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:27 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

USMA74 wrote:I remember all the discussion over a "fatal wound" for a certain EOC duke in the LAMA snippets. I will happily buy a virtual round at the bar if RFC is not pulling our collective chain. I bet he left his computer whistling happily to himself right after typing this bonus snippet. :lol:

Ah, of course he's pulling our chains... :twisted:

The poser is which way our chain is being pulled. No fun to play the game if it were easy.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:12 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Ah, of course he's pulling our chains... :twisted:

The poser is which way our chain is being pulled. No fun to play the game if it were easy.

Don

Well if it was easy everybody could play - wait - everybody is playing :D
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:17 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Drak,

I hope and suspect you guys are right.

L

DrakBibliophile wrote:Nah, the Dallas gimmick would be if the open scene of the book following HFQ revealed that HFQ was just a dream. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Note, in Robert A Heinlein's Citizen Of The Galaxy, the main character wakes up from a dream where the villain was about to have him flogged.

So it's a long standing trick of the trade for authors to have scenes that quickly turn out to be a dream. :) :)

Annachie wrote:*quote="DrakBibliophile"*Thirsk wakes up in a cold sweat saying "What a nightmare". *quote*

As Bobby Ewing walks out of the shower in nothing but a towel? :)
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Drak,

I hope and suspect you guys are right.

L

Hi Lyonheart,

You know, I've been reading David's stuff for 20 years and I can't in all honesty say that I find him "tricky." He enjoys giving us the business up on the forums, of course. But although he can build tension with the best in terms of making the reader wonder what is going to happen next, he doesn't deceive his readers into believing one thing when something else is true. That's how I see it anyway.

It's been hillarious watcing the gang exclaim how tricky RFC is and then turn right around and assume they can predict wha's going to happen. :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Tonto Silerheels   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Tonto Silerheels
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:

You know, I've been reading David's stuff for 20 years and I can't in all honesty say that I find him "tricky."

Okay, here's a riddle: Q: What is it that's a plant, it grows in your lawn, and it's red? A: I don't know, what? Q: Grass. A: But...grass isn't red. Q: I know; I lied about the red part.

In the riddle we have two guys, Quincy and Abraham. Quincy is trying to surprise Abraham, and Abraham is trying to see through Quincy's deception. However, in riddles of this type Abraham should be able to depend on a certain amount of integrity, and it's this integrity that Quincy violates.

In a similar fashion Mr. Weber wants to surprise his audience, and they should be able to depend on a certain amount of integrity on his part. Mr. Weber has mentioned how difficult this can be to achieve at times. Unlike enemies on a battlefield, Mr. Weber's audience can read the minds of people on both sides of the conflict. That being so, how can Mr. Weber surprise his audience? One thing that he shouldn't do is to tell us the grass is red.

I would suggest that there are a number of ways to achieve surprise, and I would like to mention two. The first being that the audience is not told everything that the character knows. One example of this might be the parachute flares that both Eastshare and Hanth have used to such good effect. The other example is a bromide that has appeared in a number of Mr. Weber's novels. I can't remember the exact wording, but I'll put it this way: surprise is when something you've seen all along turns out to be something other than what you thought it was.

I would agree with your statement, n7axw, because of Mr. Weber's distinct lack of telling his audience that the grass is red.

~Tonto
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Tonto Silerheels wrote:n7axw wrote:

You know, I've been reading David's stuff for 20 years and I can't in all honesty say that I find him "tricky."

Okay, here's a riddle: Q: What is it that's a plant, it grows in your lawn, and it's red? A: I don't know, what? Q: Grass. A: But...grass isn't red. Q: I know; I lied about the red part.

In the riddle we have two guys, Quincy and Abraham. Quincy is trying to surprise Abraham, and Abraham is trying to see through Quincy's deception. However, in riddles of this type Abraham should be able to depend on a certain amount of integrity, and it's this integrity that Quincy violates.

In a similar fashion Mr. Weber wants to surprise his audience, and they should be able to depend on a certain amount of integrity on his part. Mr. Weber has mentioned how difficult this can be to achieve at times. Unlike enemies on a battlefield, Mr. Weber's audience can read the minds of people on both sides of the conflict. That being so, how can Mr. Weber surprise his audience? One thing that he shouldn't do is to tell us the grass is red.

I would suggest that there are a number of ways to achieve surprise, and I would like to mention two. The first being that the audience is not told everything that the character knows. One example of this might be the parachute flares that both Eastshare and Hanth have used to such good effect. The other example is a bromide that has appeared in a number of Mr. Weber's novels. I can't remember the exact wording, but I'll put it this way: surprise is when something you've seen all along turns out to be something other than what you thought it was.

I would agree with your statement, n7axw, because of Mr. Weber's distinct lack of telling his audience that the grass is red.

~Tonto

Hi Tonto,

Very nice post, Tonto. You've said it better than I. There is a difference in a plotline between not knowing what is going to happen and building suspense and being told something false. Sometimes though, the distinction gets pretty thin.

Don
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:59 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Something to think about.

In the random snippets that David Weber has given us (as opposed to regular in-order snippets), has David Weber ever actually shown us the death of a prominent character?

I don't remember him doing so therefore I'm thinking that this "death" is similar to the superhero comics where a character appears to be dead on the last page of an issue only for the character to be alive in the comic issue. :) :) :) :)
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold