Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Safehold Humor or lack thereof

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Safehold Humor or lack thereof
Post by pokermind   » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

rocket_scientist wrote:
[Snip quotes]

Ok! OK! You win Mange! I promise to never again expand in vain the name of the creator of all tree cats! Please spare my while there are still large enough parts of my epidermis for the Pasqualites to find and stitch together back into something resembling a human being.

Oh, and what is that over there in what used to be by back pocket? Some fresh celery stalks? Would you like to share some with me?

<Somebody said Celery.> Art by DeepChrome

Mange
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by pokermind   » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:22 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Space Cat First Mangy Fur, <Paging Rocket Scientist you let Safehold jokes get on page two, shame!>

Chief, "Mellow Mange, he gave you so much celery your were constipated all last week."

<That was last week, what's he done for me this week.>

"Typical treecat attitude no gratitude, well at least Space Kiwi saved our bacon, here's his joke from another thead:

Spacekiwi wrote:
BarryKirk wrote:A man should live forever or die trying...

:)

lifes a joke, and the punchlines a killer.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Quite a wit our Spacekiwi."

<A halfwit!> Image "Bleek, bleek, bleek,...bleek." Image

"Be nice Mange you're just visiting from the Honorverse here."

Poker & Mange

Post by pokermind   » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Chief, "What are you doing in Safehold Mange?"

Mange, <Looking for you. You have been gone a while. So what's going on outside the Honerverse?>

Chief, "I've been working on railroad drawings in the 1632verse, called Assitti Shards here on David's site. Want to see? Go here:

http://pokermind.deviantart.com/

<Nice, and all I thought you could draw was flies.>

Image "Bleek, bleek, bleek,...bleek." Image

"Speaking of flies, our good friend Namelessfly got hit with the Ban Hammer in the latest flame war in Free Range Topics... I eulogized him in the RIP Namelessfly thread thus:"

pokermind wrote:Hi all,

What happens when a topic gets too heated? it gets locked. What happens when you get too many warnings for violating the rules?

Duckk wrote:
Ok, that's it, topic over. And namelessfly, you earned yourself a ban for flaming.

Last entry http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3487&start=30

Some times in heated discussions we forget the rules, we flame, we use harsh language (not PG), and get personal with other posters. I'll miss the Fly and hope the ban is temporary not permanent. While Fly's sins aginst the rules were the worst we all share some blame, and I include myself. This is my first year here, and the fourth topic I've seen locked, this is the first non spammer bot I've seen hit with the Mighty Duckk's Ban Hammer, but I've seen him warn Fly on numerous occasions to cool it or get baned.

Let this be a warning, keep it civil.

This was Namelessfly's last PM to me I'll bleep the non PG stuff, he deserves an epitaph IMHO.

namelessfly wrote:I certainly cut loose yesterday. There is nothing that makes my blood boil more than European arrogance, conceit and pseudosophistication. They remind me of the Solarian League. By any rational standards [General religious reference deleted] are barbarians. The US has been fighting a loosing battle trying to prevent Islamic fundamentalists from getting nukes only to be betrayed by our alleged allies.

We have plenty of gas if Obama and his [expletive deleted] don't screw it up. This would be an opportunity to become isolationist. We should withdraw from Nato, cancel f-35 sales and declare open season on Europeans. I am almost angry enough to not care that Israel will be the first to be nuked then invaded. It will be interesting to see the reaction of all the American Jews who put Obama in office.

Last night's debate was pathetic. Romney's foreign policy is just as insane as Obama's. He is beating the drum for the Arab Spring too. With the exception of Ron and Rand Paul who are isolationists, the only prominent politician to oppose betraying our allies to bring Islamofascists to power was Gov Palin. I wish I knew what took the wind out of her sails. Aside from foreign policy, she has the best record on fiscal and energy policy. [description of her feminine attributes redacted.]

Of course miracles can happen. If RINO Romney wins the election then were to get assassinated, the election of the President gets real interesting.

My answer was:

"Hi Namelessfly,

I can only shake my head, Politicians of both parties have been buying votes with our tax money, then started borrowing money to give away more. They have been playing musical chairs with the debt so long that soon the music will stop and the current (who ever wins) administration will have a financial crisis that will make the Great Depression seem a cakewalk. You watch the big boys won't get hurt, but us little people will get crucified. As Will Rodgers said during the Depression, "The United States has the Best Government money can Buy. Unfortunately we're all Poor Folk." I fear for our country.

Poker

PS. As to the Europeans its like the old farmer joke, "You can't teach a pig sense. It frustrates you and, annoys the pig." Liked the joke in Honorverse Humor or lack thereof:

kenl511 wrote:Theme of the SL Bureacrats:

Pigs at the trough, what'll we do?
Skip to m'lou my darling.

Keep the slop flowing, that's what we'll do.
Skip to m'lou my darling.

Could be Obama's theme song!"

Poker

<That is terrible, what did the poor Fly do to cause the Duckk to use his flyswatter?>

"Got too passionate in the latest political flame war on the Middle East, and frankly use inappropriate non PG language I warned the other posters we might get this from the Duckk as things got out of hand:"

<Didn't the Duckk warn him?>

"The Duckk warned him several times in previous flame wars, but in this case he locked the thread and hit poor Fly with his mighty Ban Hammer."

<I'll miss the Fly's comments here. Is the banning permanent?>

"Don't know. Perhaps if enough of the Fly's friends comment in the thread http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3520 the Duckk or David may relent."

<I hope so who else can we kid about wanting shower scenes. And just think Chief you just became the Honorverse's semiofficial Dirty Old Man! Beware of the might Duckk's flyswatter!>

Image "Bleek, bleek, bleek,...bleek." Image

Poker & Mange

Post by pokermind   » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Happy Mayan Doomsday!

Image Image

Muerte Azteca and Ave End by ~Zerj19

http://zerj19.deviantart.com/gallery/25545539#/d235z78 and
http://zerj19.deviantart.com/gallery/25545539#/d235y5t

Mange, via a time-warp to our time, <Well ancient two legs it's Mayan Doomsday and you are still here. Goes to show the Great Prophet Runsforcelery was better at predicting the future than the more ancient Mayans don't it.>

:D Image "Bleek, bleek, bleek,...bleek." Image

<Well denizens of the Safholdianverse in the thread on railroads was the following joke> :

kbus888 wrote:Hi pokermind

You said in part
(Quote)
The gauge choice was economics, most railroads were standard gauge four feet eight and a half inches Thus standards were made for interchange with the most popular. The wider the gauge the more stable the car, think of a chair with slayed legs being more stable than one pigeon-toed. Wider large gauge cars can naturally carry wider cargoes. Of course the extremes of gauge broad and narrow gets ludicrous.
(EndQuote)

This reminded me of a joke I once heard:

Q-
Why a 4-foot 8-inch railroad guage ??

A -
The first railroad rolling stock was designed by English carriage builders.

The carriage wheels were typically 4'8" apart.

?? Why ??

Many of Britain's roads were build by the Romans and these used war chariots pulled by two horses.

This width was sufficient to accommodate the width of these two horses.

?? So ??

The Chariot wheels wore groves in the Roman built roads.

In order to avoid undue stress on carriages, their wheels worked best when they rode in these groves.

!! Ahhh !!

So Railroad Guages followed the trend !!

Yes, and as a consequence - - -

The Space shuttle program was built in various places in the U.S.A.

As a result, these rockets were transported (by rail) to the launching site.

The rail lines went through tunnels and gullys which had been constructed wide enough to accommodate the railway.

This meant the rocket sizes were limited by the width of these tunnels and could not be made too large in view of the requirement to transport them to the launch site.

- - SOOOOOO - -

Some design considerations for the space technology were influenced by the width considerations of a pair Roman war horses asses !!

*** CONCLUSION ***

Bureaucratic decisions LIVE FOREVER !!!

:lol:

R

<The above logic leads to one conclusion Safeholdian railroads will be broad gauge.>

Chief pokermind, "Why?"

<Dragon's asses are wider than horses' asses."

Mange Image "Tee Twang -- Twang - Twang

Poker & Mange

Post by pokermind   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

A visitor from the Honorverse, Space 'Cat First Mangy fur, <OK two-legs, David's new book is Like a Mighty Army or LAMA and not a Llama:>

Chief, "Will you ever learn to behave when you visit another Forum?"

Poker & Mange

Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by pokermind   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Runsforcelery's torture chamber views:

http://talpimado.deviantart.com/art/Alien-playful-344881644?q=gallery%3Atalpimado%2F1712718&qo=18

Must be David's wife Sharon being the consummate hostess offering coffee while David and minions torture the fans.

http://talpimado.deviantart.com/art/Paws-torture-play-355600437?q=gallery%3Atalpimado%2F1712718&qo=6

Even his cats git into the act!

Oh well just remember the magic words, "Please sir may I have another."

Poker

Post by pokermind   » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:41 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Ah Medievil cookery recipe for grilled unicorn:

Detail of a unicorn on the grill in Geoffrey Fule's cookbook, England, mid-14th century (London, British Library, MS Additional 142012, f. 137r).

"Taketh one unicorne". The recipe calls for the beast to be marinaded in cloves and garlic, and then roasted on a griddle. The cookbook's compiler, doubtless Geoffrey Fule himself, added pictures in its margins, depicting the unicorn being prepared and then served. Sarah J Biggs, a British Library expert on medieval decoration, commented that "the images are extraordinary, almost exactly as we'd expect them to be, if not better"

A lady bringing the unicorn's head to the table (London, British Library, MS Additional 142012, f. 137v).

The remains of the unicorn (London, British Library, MS Additional 142012, f. 138r).

- See more at: http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/04/unicorn-cookbook-found-at-the-british-library.html#sthash.sohPzTqE.dpuf

Grilled Unicorn yumm!

Poker

Post by RHWoodman   » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:00 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:Ah Medievil cookery recipe for grilled unicorn:

<snip for brevity>

Grilled Unicorn yumm!

Poker

This, of course, explains why no unicorns can be found today. They were all eaten during medieval times.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Well, i do know that some people like rare meat..... and a unicorn would defineately have been rare.....

:D

RHWoodman wrote:
pokermind wrote:Ah Medievil cookery recipe for grilled unicorn:

<snip for brevity>

Grilled Unicorn yumm!

Poker

This, of course, explains why no unicorns can be found today. They were all eaten during medieval times.
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D

Return to Safehold