Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #12

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #12
Post by anwi   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:10 am

anwi
Commander

runsforcelery wrote: “I have to admit it was probably wise of you not to tell me quite how far we’d have to travel for that explanation until we were in the air. I won’t guarantee I wouldn’t have backed out and run for my life, despite Saint Kohdy’s journal and his description of his hikousen, if you’d told me any sooner!”
(snip)
“A very deep one, as a matter of fact. In many ways, you remind me a great deal of Prince Nahrmahn.”

First, thanks for the snippet.
Then, I have to admit that RFC got me on that one. I wouldn't have thought that Merlin simply takes Aivah to the Cave without her (and Sandariah) knowing the truth. A daring move.
Other than that, few hard facts. We've to assume that Narmahn will be some surprise to Aivah very soon. And Nimue II is probably piloting the other skimmer.
Oh, and 90 minutes taking more than 10 days is a cruel, cruel fate.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:35 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

anwi wrote:
runsforcelery wrote: “I have to admit it was probably wise of you not to tell me quite how far we’d have to travel for that explanation until we were in the air. I won’t guarantee I wouldn’t have backed out and run for my life, despite Saint Kohdy’s journal and his description of his hikousen, if you’d told me any sooner!”
(snip)
“A very deep one, as a matter of fact. In many ways, you remind me a great deal of Prince Nahrmahn.”

First, thanks for the snippet.
Then, I have to admit that RFC got me on that one. I wouldn't have thought that Merlin simply takes Aivah to the Cave without her (and Sandariah) knowing the truth. A daring move.
Other than that, few hard facts. We've to assume that Narmahn will be some surprise to Aivah very soon. And Nimue II is probably piloting the other skimmer.
Oh, and 90 minutes taking more than 10 days is a cruel, cruel fate.

Thanks also RFC! I hope that that the great hardware update goes ok!!

There's one hard fact in your very quote snippet :-)
St Kohdy and his hikousen. To me there was some definite question as to the level of tech that Khhdy had access to. We knew that he had a 'magic' sword, as one of the warriors faithful to Langhorne/Schuhler. This shows a yet higher 'angelic' level of knowledge, I would say.

[Edit] PS something I'm really pleased to see is that:
a) Merlin is trusting her - treating her much like the others in the Inner Circle at time of their induction
b) she is a real flesh/blood person and leader of a set of real people, with more but limited knowledge that the average Safeholdian... but not a PICA
Last edited by isaac_newton on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:51 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Thank you RFC.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:59 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

"So much good in want the Church could accomplish". Should probably be "what"
But thankyou for the snippet. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:27 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

So, just to stir the pot, what if only one of them reacts well? Sandaria Josephine Buckley? I think if it were Aivah who reacted badly the ramifications of killing off such a fairly major character would have to take up more of the book than we really have time for at this stage in the series. On the other hand RFC doesn't really do red shirts, which suggests they probably take it well. However ....
Post by AirTech   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:31 am

AirTech
Captain of the List

Thanks RFC.
Turkey day doesn't rate very highly downunder but thanks anyway. (We have generally blown our cash on the ponies at the start of November and are saving up for the big mid summer bash - the Boxing Day Test...(and the Boxing Day Sales for the wives)(have someone explain this to you)). I'm hoping on at least a couple of snippets before then...

Sandaria's reactions may be illuminating as to that of the more general populous being exposed to a level of technology a half millennium beyond their current experience.
Post by kbus888   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:35 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/12/01=
I think the options Merlin is thinking of is that in Nimue's cave he has the option of slapping the ones who do not accept the truth in cryo storage rather than needing to kill them.

??Comments??

R

runsforcelery wrote:<SNIP> And how would he deal with what he’d have to do if she responded . . . poorly? The decision to take her and Sandaria to the cave would give him options he hadn’t had far too many other times, yet even so . . . .<SNIP>
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by BarryKirk   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:59 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Thank you for the snippet RFC
Hope your Thanksgiving gave you a lot to be thankful for.

Hope the hardware upgrade goes smoothly.
Post by chrisd   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:09 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

BarryKirk wrote:Hope the hardware upgrade goes smoothly.

"The triumph of Hope over Experience" ?
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:11 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

anwi wrote:Oh, and 90 minutes taking more than 10 days is a cruel, cruel fate.

Always supposing the next snippet doesn't shift to South March or the Temple! ;)

Return to Safehold