Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

The fate of the Dawn Star and the Archangels

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: The fate of the Dawn Star and the Archangels
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:57 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Joat42 wrote:
Louis R wrote:Wasn't one of them Blue?

quote="DMcCunney"
On that line, I was tickled by Fred Pohls "Heechee" novels. Humanity is traveling the stars using technology left behind by a long-vanished race called the HeeChee. We eventually learn where the HeeChee went. They detected a threat so enormous that they did did try to dive down a hole and pull it in after them, but the holes they dove into were black. :P
_______
Dennis
/quote
One of the navigation controls for the star you wanted to travel to was color coded, maybe that's why you think of the black hole as blue.

Isn't there a song "Don't you make my Black hole Blue"?
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

No. It's "brown eyes blue".
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:56 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

OrlandoNative wrote:No. It's "brown eyes blue".

Actually, it's "Don't it make my brown eyes blue" by Richard Leigh, sung by Chrystal Gayle, single certified gold. And yes I knew that, and yes, I was making a joke, and yes, I have read the Hee-Chee series.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:09 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

DMcCunney wrote:
n7axw wrote:If we take our hint from RFC's post, the Gbaba aren't sweeping out looking for potential threats. The possibility Safehold was guarding against by going bush was that of hot pursuit in search of escapees from the TF's destruction. Once the period had passed in which that would be a danger, Safehold would be free to rebuild, cautiously, of course. IIRC, that period was 500 years.

There would be no concern that radio or electric signals would get back to give Safehold away. By the time they could make the trip, they would have faded below the galactic noise floor.

I'm not concerned that electromagnetic radiation from Safehold would attract the Gbaba. Given the apparent distance, I agree it would be below the noise floor.

But the Gbaba encountered humanity, swatted every vessel they encountered, then went looking for the nests. One by one, they found every Earth colony and destroyed it, and finally found and destroyed Earth.

What I'm interested in is how they found and destroyed the colonies and finally Earth. What sort of trail were they following?
_______
Dennis

I am of the impression that the Federation was connected together by FTL communications, perhaps something like the hypercoms in the Duhak series. If I am right, that could have provided the spoor that led the Gbaba to their prey.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold