Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

AtSoT Snippet #1 prayer

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: AtSoT Snippet #1 prayer
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:56 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Louis R wrote:No idea what software you're using, but normally you can switch off auto-correct without losing spell checking. It adds a bit of work to check the flagged words if you're not sure that that's what you wanted to write, but eliminates the less than useful assistance.

Charybdis wrote:What no 'snerk' collaring for days on end? :roll: (Anyone else ever so tired of browser auto-correct? Made 'snerk' into 'sneak' :!: :?: - Yet, the same tech has done well to fix my typing so as to be unwilling to forego its 'help'!)

With both MS Word and Word Perfect, the auto-correct list can be edited... The problem crops up when we are proof reading a lengthy document or at the end of a long day and spell check pops up a word that we "add to dictionary"
so we have to find the word... "snerk" and delete it or... we have to tell the spell check that "snerk" is the word we want and to add it. After that it will never flag it again while you use that computer and version of software
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Keith_w wrote:I just had a terrible thought. Have there been books in the past, since these forums opened, that have not been snippeted? Is it possible that we are not going to see snippets? On the other hand, would it be so bad, to be completely surprised by the content of the books? To bring a completely fresh eye to the reading? To not have to worry about spoilers sneaking into non-spoiler topics until after the publication?

YES! We discuss the snippets much more than we do the published book for the simple and obvious reason that if we are getting a couple of thousand words every week or ten days we have the time to read them, weigh them, and chew them over in much more detail than we are ever going to be able to do with the whole book (or previously the last 70% of it) handed to us at once. That kind of detailed discussion is what makes the forum attractive for me.
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:01 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Keith_w wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:I don't think Road to Hell was snippeted. Which is a bad sign, since it is the most recent release. :(

I just peeked and there were at least 3.

Ok. 3 snippets months before the release of the book. Followed by an abrupt halt which lasted all the way to the release. I'd still consider this a significant departure from the way previous books were snippeted. Hope it was an isolated case and not a sign of things to come.
Post by jeremyr   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

Henry Brown wrote:
Ok. 3 snippets months before the release of the book. Followed by an abrupt halt which lasted all the way to the release. I'd still consider this a significant departure from the way previous books were snippeted. Hope it was an isolated case and not a sign of things to come.

It's got to be fairly time consuming to post the snippets. So maybe that's why we're not seeing them. Or it could be that the really time consuming part is that RFC likes to follow the posts to the snippets and knows he doesn't have time for that. I'm sure he gets much amusement from all our theories.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:58 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

jeremyr wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:

It's got to be fairly time consuming to post the snippets. So maybe that's why we're not seeing them. Or it could be that the really time consuming part is that RFC likes to follow the posts to the snippets and knows he doesn't have time for that. I'm sure he gets much amusement from all our theories.

Not sure this holds water... if the material is already written, it is simply cut and paste and... David could hire one of his children to do that as a summer job ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by USMA74   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 am

USMA74
Commander

Agreed that if you want technology done, hire a teenager. However, I think the point previously made that RFC/MWW likes to read the threads growing out of his snippet posts is correct. I am projecting here because I enjoy reading responses to my posts. Reading those responses takes time away from other things which the author may feel is just a tad more important. This includes time with the family, especially after the several serious health events over the last several year. It is an old saying but at the end of one's life, only a horse's hind end says that he or she wishes he or she would have spent more time working.

If we get a snippet, I will be grateful. I am just happy that the publication date of AtSoT (Safehold #9) is still showing as the end of October of this year, less than five months away now. Cheers. :D
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

USMA74 wrote:Agreed that if you want technology done, hire a teenager. However, I think the point previously made that RFC/MWW likes to read the threads growing out of his snippet posts is correct. I am projecting here because I enjoy reading responses to my posts. Reading those responses takes time away from other things which the author may feel is just a tad more important. This includes time with the family, especially after the several serious health events over the last several year. It is an old saying but at the end of one's life, only a horse's hind end says that he or she wishes he or she would have spent more time working.

If we get a snippet, I will be grateful. I am just happy that the publication date of AtSoT (Safehold #9) is still showing as the end of October of this year, less than five months away now. Cheers. :D

Agree with your comment about hire a teenager. One of my nephews was recruited by Langley while still in high school. The "made him" finish his education but that is where he is working now.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by BarryKirk   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Delurking here.

Here is to hoping that the first snippet continues the scene between Merlin and Thirsk.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

BarryKirk wrote:Delurking here.

Here is to hoping that the first snippet continues the scene between Merlin and Thirsk.

agreed. just finished HFQ again today, and i still want to hunt RFC down and make him shown me what comes next :D

ah well have to be patient.
Post by saber964   » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:13 pm

saber964
Admiral

The closer we get the more groveling and begging and pleading and whining we shall see.

Return to Safehold