Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests

Copyright Problems?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Copyright Problems?
Post by SWM   » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:21 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
SWM wrote:Heh...that's where you need good metadata and a very user-friendly interface, or knowledgable assistance like yourself. There is an occasional joke on library mailing lists about people looking for "the blue book", and half-serious discussions about whether it would be useful for public libraries to make the color of the cover accessible in the catalog. My local library recently had a display of "blue books". :lol:

Is that blue as the color or blue as in off color :mrgreen:

:) That was blue as in blue colored book covers.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:33 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

The beauty of it is that there's an excellent chance that if you collected every book in the store with "Mercy" in the title, this alleged person would reject them all and complain loudly about not stocking the books people want. All because what she was really looking for was a Mercy Thompson book - none of which have the word in the title :)

SWM wrote:
Olegreyowl wrote:Oh yeah books can have the same title. :roll: I get people in the store (work at Barnes and Noble) all the time "I'm looking for a book called Mercy". Me "Sure, now there are several authors who have used that title. Do you know the authors name or would you recognize it if I read it to you?" Them "No, it's just called Mercy, my friend told me about it." Me "Ok, well what's it about maybe I can narrow down the category." Them getting angry now "I don't remember. Look just show me the section where all the Mercy books are and I'll go through them." Me "Well ma'am the books are organized by category and then by author so all the books called Mercy won't be shelved together. Is there any information about the book you can remember?" Them "You're no help I'll just go elsewhere." True story.... :| Working at a book store is good in a lot of ways but you really get to see a LOT of stupid.

Heh...that's where you need good metadata and a very user-friendly interface, or knowledgable assistance like yourself. There is an occasional joke on library mailing lists about people looking for "the blue book", and half-serious discussions about whether it would be useful for public libraries to make the color of the cover accessible in the catalog. My local library recently had a display of "blue books". :lol:
Post by jgnfld   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Simple solution: Just confidently lead the customer to a hard cover version of one of the books with the right title. They CAN'T blame you for for selling them what they asked for!!!

Olegreyowl wrote:Oh yeah books can have the same title. :roll: I get people in the store (work at Barnes and Noble) all the time "I'm looking for a book called Mercy". Me "Sure, now there are several authors who have used that title. Do you know the authors name or would you recognize it if I read it to you?" Them "No, it's just called Mercy, my friend told me about it." Me "Ok, well what's it about maybe I can narrow down the category." Them getting angry now "I don't remember. Look just show me the section where all the Mercy books are and I'll go through them." Me "Well ma'am the books are organized by category and then by author so all the books called Mercy won't be shelved together. Is there any information about the book you can remember?" Them "You're no help I'll just go elsewhere." True story.... :| Working at a book store is good in a lot of ways but you really get to see a LOT of stupid.
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:44 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

jgnfld wrote:Simple solution: Just confidently lead the customer to a hard cover version of one of the books with the right title. They CAN'T blame you for for selling them what they asked for!!!

Preferably the one with the largest profit margin, and/or the one that isn't selling otherwise.

If someone insists on being stupid, it's sad not to make money off it.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:10 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
jgnfld wrote:Simple solution: Just confidently lead the customer to a hard cover version of one of the books with the right title. They CAN'T blame you for for selling them what they asked for!!!

Preferably the one with the largest profit margin, and/or the one that isn't selling otherwise.

If someone insists on being stupid, it's sad not to make money off it.

Unfortunately - it's a short term solution. Most of them will take the book home, start to read it, and then bring it back, complaining that the stupid clerk sold him the wrong book, and ask for a refund. And then go through the whole process again. And to paraphrase Heinlein:
...shooting him will afford you only a momentary pleasure, and is bound to get you talked about
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Rajani Isa   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:48 am

Rajani Isa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

jgnfld wrote:They CAN'T blame you for for selling them what they asked for!!!

Never worked in retail, or do you also chant this while having nightmares at night? :lol:

Return to Safehold