Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests

minor OAR question...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
minor OAR question...
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Does anyone remember what,
Or did anyone even notice _IF_,
there was given a reason why Nimue (ver. One) was awaken?

i.e.: Was it strictly a timer, or a machine observable event?

ERR
=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Re: minor OAR question...
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

From OAR October 1, 3249 The Mountains of Light, Safehold

"I've set the timer to activate this . . . depot, I suppose, seven hundred and fifty standard years after I complete this recording. I arrived at that particular timing because our best projections indicate that if the Gbaba didn't decide Kau-zhi's fleet was all of Operation Ark's units, and if their scout ships continued to sweep outward, it ought to take them a maximum of about five hundred years to pass within easy detection range of radio emissions or neutrinos from this system. So I've allowed a fifty percent cushion to carry you through the threat zone of immediate detection. That's how long you will have been 'asleep.'-"

End Quote

Definitely, a timer. :)

Ensign Re-read wrote:Does anyone remember what,
Or did anyone even notice _IF_,
there was given a reason why Nimue (ver. One) was awaken?

i.e.: Was it strictly a timer, or a machine observable event?

ERR
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Thanks.

Hmmmmmm...
So, how does the math work for that 1000 years (or year 1000?) number that we keep hearing about re the Temple's basement?

ERR

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by Dahak   » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Dahak
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Ensign Re-read wrote:Thanks.

Hmmmmmm...
So, how does the math work for that 1000 years (or year 1000?) number that we keep hearing about re the Temple's basement?

ERR

Part of the answer lies at http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Safehold/321/1

The Day of Creation was eighty four Safehold years before Year of God 1. This is mentioned in How Firm a Foundation after Merlin revisits the events of Paityr Wylsynn's introduction to the Inner Circle.
Post by DirkF   » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:18 pm

DirkF
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Also, in some other discussion (about the hidden journal of the reeducated people in Charis, don't remember the name) DW reported that he made an error that was corrected in the wrong way by an editor: when he changed the dating system while writing OAR, he forgot to change it in one place - and the editor thought that forgotten wrong date was the correct one and changed several other places back to the old dating.

The (new) sleep period was supposed to be 825 terran years, and the change back to 750 was one of the errors reintroduced by the editor if I remember that explanation correctly.
Post by Charybdis   » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

DirkF wrote:Also, in some other discussion (about the hidden journal of the reeducated people in Charis, don't remember the name) DW reported that he made an error that was corrected in the wrong way by an editor: when he changed the dating system while writing OAR, he forgot to change it in one place - and the editor thought that forgotten wrong date was the correct one and changed several other places back to the old dating.

The (new) sleep period was supposed to be 825 terran years, and the change back to 750 was one of the errors reintroduced by the editor if I remember that explanation correctly.

Fact checking fiction is surely a daunting task, getting proper cites and validation is a wee bit tricky! Continuity for this Weber Opus has probably turned more than a few grey hairs! :?
-----

What say you, my peers?

Return to Safehold