Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Gbaba Facts

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Gbaba Facts
Post by kbus888   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:04 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/07/10=

RFC seems very busy on Honerverse stuff.

My guess is April/2015 for HFQ

R

n7axw wrote:(Sigh)I'd just be happy to know the publication date for HFQ!

Don
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by USMA74   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 pm

USMA74
Commander

n7axw wrote:(Sigh)I'd just be happy to know the publication date for HFQ!

Don

To borrow from the recent Battlestar Galatica TV series: "So say we all"
Post by cralkhi   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm

cralkhi
Captain of the List

JohnS wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:Well David Weber has said that there would be a separate series about the rematch between humans and the Gbaba.

I want this so much, that I'm telling myself you probably misinterpreted something. :D

Apocalypse Troll
Empire from the Ashes
Excalibur Alternative
In Fury Born
Old Soldiers
Out of the Dark
Safehold

Each of those involves an alien polity that "done us wrong" and in not a single one have we gotten to read the story of humanity's throwdown with them. (I know Old Soldiers is set in someone else's universe, but I'm on a roll here. Work with me. ;) )

It would be really nice if the Safehold series, or even better a spin-off, finished its version of that story.

I think The Armageddon Inheritance (Dahak/Empire from the Ashes) IS the big fight. When the 5thImp goes after the Achuultani home planets a couple of centuries down the line, the Achuultani probably wouldn't be able to put up much resistance.
Post by JohnS   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

JohnS
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cralkhi wrote:I think The Armageddon Inheritance (Dahak/Empire from the Ashes) IS the big fight. When the 5thImp goes after the Achuultani home planets a couple of centuries down the line, the Achuultani probably wouldn't be able to put up much resistance.

We don't know that. The command ship had weapons that the other ships didn't have. The main computer may well have much higher tech than any of the Sweeps are allowed. I imagine the main computer is acutely aware of the threat that a computer in charge of a Sweep fleet could pose. The Sweep fleets may be tiny compared to what it keeps at home to guard itself.

Anyway, my main point is that the Achuultani master computer is still in a position to keep exterminating species across the galaxy, including sending new Sweeps in our direction. I would like to see the end of the story.
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:02 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

This is just a theory, but I'm guessing the Gbaba are basically the CoGA writ large... and much more successful at preventing change and exterminating inconvenient kingdoms/races than Clyntahn could ever hope to be.

Which means Safehold becomes the "Merlin" of the future Gbaba war which would sort of follow the general broad outlines of the war against the CoGA.
Post by kbus888   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:54 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/07/25=
Hi Guys

??Did you forget "The Shiva Option" ??

R

cralkhi wrote:
JohnS wrote:
I want this so much, that I'm telling myself you probably misinterpreted something. :D

Apocalypse Troll
Empire from the Ashes
Excalibur Alternative
In Fury Born
Old Soldiers
Out of the Dark
Safehold

Each of those involves an alien polity that "done us wrong" and in not a single one have we gotten to read the story of humanity's throwdown with them. (I know Old Soldiers is set in someone else's universe, but I'm on a roll here. Work with me. ;) )

It would be really nice if the Safehold series, or even better a spin-off, finished its version of that story.

I think The Armageddon Inheritance (Dahak/Empire from the Ashes) IS the big fight. When the 5thImp goes after the Achuultani home planets a couple of centuries down the line, the Achuultani probably wouldn't be able to put up much resistance.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

the happiness of another
Post by n7axw   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:47 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Even with The Shiva Option, there is "the system which must not be revealed."

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kbus888   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/07/26=
Yes . . .

In that case, there may be more than one "throw down"

But, there was -- at least one -- war with an aggressive species that reached its conclusion --

R

n7axw wrote:Even with The Shiva Option, there is "the system which must not be revealed."

Don
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

the happiness of another
Post by JohnS   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:47 pm

JohnS
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kbus888 wrote:=2014/07/26=
Yes . . .

But, there was -- at least one -- war with an aggressive species that reached its conclusion --

Yeah, I certainly do count that. I've read In Death Ground and Shiva Option several times, so I love them as war stories. But the Bugs were many times described, both in-story and by authorial voice, as being more like a force of nature than an enemy. Even the Acchultani aren't that extreme since they show individuality even when under the computer's control.

Ironically, at least from my viewpoint, the next series most likely to show a "fight to the finish" is Safehold. In which the enemy is not understood by humanity despite the Federation capturing six Gbaba systems.

In the books/series that I listed, the enemy has a face we can understand and even empathize with. My favorite of the lot are the Rish from In Fury Born. What little we see of their society, and the individuals that we meet, shows that they are rife with story possibilities. Really, who wouldn't want a series comparable to the Honorverse involving the Rish or the early Orions, with viewpoint characters on the various sides such as we've seen in the Honorverse?

But short of prolong getting developed right now, and RFC correspondingly postponing retirement, I don't see it happening.
Post by fossten   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 pm

fossten
Ensign

JohnS wrote:
kbus888 wrote:=2014/07/26=
Yes . . .

Yeah, I certainly do count that. I've read In Death Ground and Shiva Option several times, so I love them as war stories. But the Bugs were many times described, both in-story and by authorial voice, as being more like a force of nature than an enemy. Even the Acchultani aren't that extreme since they show individuality even when under the computer's control.

Ironically, at least from my viewpoint, the next series most likely to show a "fight to the finish" is Safehold. In which the enemy is not understood by humanity despite the Federation capturing six Gbaba systems.

In the books/series that I listed, the enemy has a face we can understand and even empathize with. My favorite of the lot are the Rish from In Fury Born. What little we see of their society, and the individuals that we meet, shows that they are rife with story possibilities. Really, who wouldn't want a series comparable to the Honorverse involving the Rish or the early Orions, with viewpoint characters on the various sides such as we've seen in the Honorverse?

But short of prolong getting developed right now, and RFC correspondingly postponing retirement, I don't see it happening.

I doubt that RFC wants to go the route of Ender Wiggin here. Is that what you seek - the good guys extinguishing the bad guys? I must confess that I want to see that too, but after reading Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead I see similarities between the Gbaba and the Buggers. It'll be interesting how RFC settles this - most people want to see somebody actually WIN the fight, and yet the enemy must be EVIL enough to justify such a near-total genocide that would be necessary to settle things once and for all.

Does Safehold bomb them back to the stone age, or do they simply contain them as Colin MacIntyre does to the Achuultani, or as the US did to China in the 50s?

Return to Safehold