Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Who has the military advantage in terms of technology?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Who has the military advantage in terms of technology?
Post by ThisName1   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:41 am

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Going back through the books and I can't decide if the arcanans dragons, drakes, unicorns and assorted magic gadgets is enough to overcome the Sharonians artillery and steam vehicles. At least without using overwhelming numbers.
Re: Who has the military advantage in terms of technology?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:15 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

My take has always been to look at the constraints surrounding the use of the different systems.

Dragons take upwards of 20 years to grow and train properly. Magic used out in the wilderness requires recharges that either depend on a magic net or highly powerful magisters. Effective magisters are a small portion of the Arcanan population. Building up the industrial capacity to make cannons, steam powered war vehicles, rifles, locomotives, rail cars, ships and the whole host of machines the Sharonans need on the other hand, may be built by anyone in their society. That and the shorter time requirements to build versus grow their weapons systems means that the Sharonans can offset any individual inferiority with quantity more easily.

As it stands there is near parity in individual effectiveness of each side's systems. That leads me to believe the Sharonans will be able to apply more force in the frontier universes than the Arcanas. That advantage will dissipate the closer to arcana the fighting proceeds.
Re: Who has the military advantage in terms of technology?
Post by ThisName1   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I hadn't even though of breeding and training times. If the war stretches on and is bad enough to cause a dragon shortage that would cripple the arcanans.

Return to Multiverse