Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Have Sharona and Arcana be contacted by the United States of

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Have Sharona and Arcana be contacted by the United States of
Post by howlar51   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:35 am

howlar51
Midshipman

Why not complicate matters? Suppose in 2060 American scientists discover a multiverse portal, explore portals over the next century, and "now," in 2160, discover the Arcanan and Sharonan multiverses at war. Lots of possibilities, including bringing space travel and sophisticated technology into the picture. Would Arcana and Sharona be lesser cultures than America in 2160? Would the arrival of a third party motivate Arcana and Sharona to ally?

Maybe the first portal that America discovers suddenly appears in Los Angeles and disrupts Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

Just an idea.
Re: Have Sharona and Arcana be contacted by the United State
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Have you noticed the C.E. date translations? Not necessary unless they wish to introduce our timeline at some point.

howlar51 wrote:Why not complicate matters? Suppose in 2060 American scientists discover a multiverse portal, explore portals over the next century, and "now," in 2160, discover the Arcanan and Sharonan multiverses at war. Lots of possibilities, including bringing space travel and sophisticated technology into the picture. Would Arcana and Sharona be lesser cultures than America in 2160? Would the arrival of a third party motivate Arcana and Sharona to ally?

Maybe the first portal that America discovers suddenly appears in Los Angeles and disrupts Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

Just an idea.
Post by howlar51   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

howlar51
Midshipman

Thanks for the reply! :D No, I hadn't noticed the anno Domini time translation. Where can I find it? I just started with the forum...been reading "Hell's Gate" for the past few days and ordered the other two books in the series.
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:29 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

howlar51 wrote:Thanks for the reply! :D No, I hadn't noticed the anno Domini time translation. Where can I find it? I just started with the forum...been reading "Hell's Gate" for the past few days and ordered the other two books in the series.

Look at the chapter headings in Road to Hell. They bounce back from Arcana time and Sharona time, yet translate both into C.E. The story ends May 3, 1929.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
howlar51 wrote:Thanks for the reply! :D No, I hadn't noticed the anno Domini time translation. Where can I find it? I just started with the forum...been reading "Hell's Gate" for the past few days and ordered the other two books in the series.

Look at the chapter headings in Road to Hell. They bounce back from Arcana time and Sharona time, yet translate both into C.E. The story ends May 3, 1929.

It's been a while since I read them, but even before the 3rd book added the explicit CE dates you mentioned David had intended people to notice that the giant volcanic eruption mentioned in the original books synced with (IIRC) Krakatoa.

He's talked at cons before that the original plan was to jump fast forward 20-30 years at some point and have the multiverse open a portal to Earth. (And then as Earth tech got closer to Sharona or Arcana our high tech would start misbehaving as the laws of physics and magic are alter)
Post by ShrnR   » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:32 pm

ShrnR
Midshipman

I feel certain that those CE dates were included because our universe is going to intersect either Sharon or Arcana, or both. Mr. Weber has been known to change his mind about what happens when or how, so I wouldn't be surprised if our universe intersects the others in the 1930s, when our technology is only slightly in advance of Sharona's.

I feel that Sharona would be our natural ally, because ESP is a whole lot less scary than MAGIC. Also, Earthers of the 30s were already familiar with weapons similar to Sharona's, and would probably be horrified at Arcana's decision to burn people alive instead of just shooting a hole through them.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:04 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I am thinking the US in the 1950's is a better matchup. The conventional military advantage against Arcana is not that large. Sharona would be closer to the mid WW period of the 1920's The most important thing is that the US would have the a-bomb. That means there is a deterrent to using WMDs against the US or Arcana. Sharona is SOL. This would true in the battle ground world's. One suspects that neither Arcana's nor the US a-bomb can work in Sharona. Really, none of a civilization's core tech can work in the other civilizations' homes.

Tactical military confrontations would favor the US and Sharona. Air warfare favors Arcana and the US. Now, assuming RFC throws a curveball we can have the USSR in the 1950's or 1960's, then Arcana and Sharona would be almost forced to join together. Of course, RFC can have Hitler achieving a post WWII standoff with the US after he defeats the USSR and the US defeats Japan. That would make a much nicer enemy for our current combatants. I can see a scenario where Hitler and the US develop the a-bomb simultaneously and each uses it to defeat their respective enemy. It would be very interesting if Britain survives and ends up controlling Africa when the a-bombs are used. Two portals open up as an indirect result of the a-bombs. One near Moscow where Hitler nuked the Soviets and one off the cost of Japan.
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

howlar51 wrote:Why not complicate matters? Suppose in 2060 American scientists discover a multiverse portal, explore portals over the next century, and "now," in 2160, discover the Arcanan and Sharonan multiverses at war. Lots of possibilities, including bringing space travel and sophisticated technology into the picture. Would Arcana and Sharona be lesser cultures than America in 2160? Would the arrival of a third party motivate Arcana and Sharona to ally?

Just an idea.

Why has it to be an american scientist? Let it be a russian or chinese one - and bring a russian or chinese co-author (or at least an author with russian or chinese roots) into the story to write that part! Wouldn't that be fun?
Post by thanatos   » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:17 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Or perhaps, the US or the USSR have a portal open for them in certain interesting locations, like say Roswell, New Mexico or Tunguska. That might explain why those areas are still off limits. And neither would realize at the time what they had in their hands.

Return to Multiverse