Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Arcanans and spell anchoring

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Arcanans and spell anchoring
Post by Tearose   » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Tearose
Midshipman

So something's been bugging me about certain Arcanan things.
It's been pointed out in the books multiple times that every beastie that the Arcanan's have active spells anchored to all have those spells anchored to sarkolis crystals that have been implanted in them. And that any spells not actively being cast by magisters/magistrons are all likewise anchored to sarkolis crystals.
What's been nagging at me is what was implicated in one of the first two books (when Nith mul Gurthak makes his report to his Mythalan higher ups) and in TRTH when Ulthar tells Velvelig about the locater spells, that there are spells anchored to every Arcanan soldier.
Does this mean that they have sarkolis crystals implanted in them?
Re: Arcanans and spell anchoring
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Tearose wrote:So something's been bugging me about certain Arcanan things.
It's been pointed out in the books multiple times that every beastie that the Arcanan's have active spells anchored to all have those spells anchored to sarkolis crystals that have been implanted in them. And that any spells not actively being cast by magisters/magistrons are all likewise anchored to sarkolis crystals.
What's been nagging at me is what was implicated in one of the first two books (when Nith mul Gurthak makes his report to his Mythalan higher ups) and in TRTH when Ulthar tells Velvelig about the locater spells, that there are spells anchored to every Arcanan soldier.
Does this mean that they have sarkolis crystals implanted in them?

There is a difference between an anchor for a speeds effects and the crystals that store inactive spells for use. I understood the locator spell to be cast on every soldier. Once triggered it sends out a signal. Even untriggered it remains an active spell awIting the trigger to "ping" a locator signal. That's different from crystals imbedded in animals and objects.

Return to Multiverse