Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

People with BOTH Gifts and Talents?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
People with BOTH Gifts and Talents?
Post by Max   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There are not that many people who might have both Gifts and Talents yet, so this is at best speculation...

There are three possibilities:

1) All Talented are Gifted but need a willingness to believe and some training and visa versa.

2) Gifts and Talents are mutually exclusive.

3) Gifts and Talents are independent in which case about 4% of the population should have both...
Re: People with BOTH Gifts and Talents?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Jean Lorrah did some work with this theme
in her Savage Empire Series.

HTM

Max wrote:There are not that many people who might have both Gifts and Talents yet, so this is at best speculation...

1) All Talented are Gifted but need a willingness to believe and some training and visa versa.

3) Gifts and Talents are independent in which case about 4% of the population should have both...
Post by cnrd22   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:25 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Max wrote:There are not that many people who might have both Gifts and Talents yet, so this is at best speculation...

I believe in a form of 1) above based on the universe they find themselves in (on our Earth none for example would work, on Arcana talents become gifted, on Sharona, the other way around)
Post by Max   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cnrd22 wrote:

I believe in a form of 1) above based on the universe they find themselves in (on our Earth none for example would work, on Arcana talents become gifted, on Sharona, the other way around)

I suspect that is the way RFC is going to take it myself, which is why I listed it first, but what evidence is there?
Post by brnicholas   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 am

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

I suspect #3 is going to end up being the truth. Note that 100 Thalmayr appears to be completely ungifted but that the healers who treated him thought that he was strongly talented. He would not have been a low ranking line officer if he was strongly gifted so if the healers are right this is proof, at minimum, that the strength of gifts and talents do not match up.

Nicholas
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:19 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Max wrote:
I suspect that is the way RFC is going to take it myself, which is why I listed it first, but what evidence is there?

I think that there is indirect evidence - the existence and similarity of humans, animals, Earth(s) strongly imply the laws of physics are same at the quantum level (otherwise life which depends on very tricky chemistry would be vastly different), so the Gifts/Talents are related to some macro feature involving sentience and it is highly unlikely there are two such features which are distinct; it makes more sense to assume there is one and sentience relates to it based on contingent factors -

on Arcana, some gifted (wjhat we would call witches or mages on our Earth) Mythalans appeared long ago and they were taken seriously so in time the "ether" was brought into manipulatable focus;

on Sharona, talented people (psy powers on Earth) appeared, were taken seriosuly and in time built channels through the "ether" through which the talents manifest but unconsciously as opposed to the conscious manipulation of the gifted

on our Earth, both groups were persecuted/not taken seriously as such people appeared scattered throughout history, so there was no critical mass of "consciousness affecting ether", so high tech but no magic or psy

So overall, i would say that the requirement of same life on all earths makes it unlikely there are two extra features of the Multiverse that are disjoint, as opposed to different facets of same feature

Return to Multiverse