Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Dates

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Dates
Post by CanoeSage   » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:00 pm

CanoeSage
Ensign

So because I am weak of will and can't resist spending money at Baen, I have both copies of RtH (the monthly bundle version and the E-ARC). The two versions are pretty much the same, with some appendixes (publishers note, glossary, cast of characters, Sharonian Talents, and a note on calendars) being added to the monthly bundle version.

There is one other small change that is however very thought provoking. Each chapter is begins with the Sharonan or Arcanan date (based on the nationality of the chapter) AND a Common Era data. So the book begins with:

CHAPTER ONE
Ternathal 10, 5053 AE
[November 29, 1928 CE]

Why 1928?!?! What are our beloved authors planning?
1928?? re: Dates
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:03 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

1928???????????

We'd all been figuring maybe 1904!!!!!!!!!!

H T Map-addict, erasing & redrawing

CanoeSage wrote:So because I am weak of will and can't resist spending money at Baen, I have both copies of RtH (the monthly bundle version and the E-ARC). The two versions are pretty much the same, with some appendixes (publishers note, glossary, cast of characters, Sharonian Talents, and a note on calendars) being added to the monthly bundle version.

There is one other small change that is however very thought provoking. Each chapter is begins with the Sharonan or Arcanan date (based on the nationality of the chapter) AND a Common Era data. So the book begins with:

CHAPTER ONE
Ternathal 10, 5053 AE
[November 29, 1928 CE]

Re: Dates
Post by cnrd22   » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:45 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

CanoeSage wrote:CHAPTER ONE
Ternathal 10, 5053 AE
[November 29, 1928 CE]

The current arc ends in the next book and then if the sales warrant it and there are more Multiverse books, they will start some 100 years later and include our Earth in the mix, so it figures that this being the plan, the date is plausible
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:19 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

100 years of technological development in a hot war, cold war or economic cooperation between Sharona and Arcana? Depending how this arc ends, the future societies of Sharona and Arcana will be an interesting melange of technology, psychic Talents and magic.

That alone tells me Toni will contract more books. Too many Baen readers will buy that sort of story.

cnrd22 wrote:
CanoeSage wrote:CHAPTER ONE
Ternathal 10, 5053 AE
[November 29, 1928 CE]

The current arc ends in the next book and then if the sales warrant it and there are more Multiverse books, they will start some 100 years later and include our Earth in the mix, so it figures that this being the plan, the date is plausible
Post by brnicholas   » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

The other interesting question the year raises is, what does the fact that one year can be given say about the nature of portals? Does this mean time is a constant across all universes?

On the subject of the story arc. I heard long ago that book 4 was supposed to be turned in about now. Does anyone know are David and Joelle going to make that target?

If so does that mean SNIPPETS?!?!?

Nicholas
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:30 am

Keith_w
Commodore

I think that the dates indicate that when the story picks up, 100 years following the next book, approximately 2029, that there will be portals on Earth, we will be exploring, and the F-35 will finally be working properly and be able to go in an blow the dragons out of the sky. (The last date mentioned in the book is Noristahn 14, 5054 (May 3, 1929 CE)

RTH starts on Ternathal10, 5053 AE, (November 29, 1928 CE), so covers approximately 5 months.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

PS, I really liked the CE date on Chapter 33: Feb 14, 1929. A day which will, I am sure, live in infamy, at least in Chicago.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Oh!

Missed that one!

Unfortunately, it looks as if Himself missed it, too.

Keith_w wrote:PS, I really liked the CE date on Chapter 33: Feb 14, 1929. A day which will, I am sure, live in infamy, at least in Chicago.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

CanoeSage wrote:So because I am weak of will and can't resist spending money at Baen, I have both copies of RtH (the monthly bundle version and the E-ARC). The two versions are pretty much the same, with some appendixes (publishers note, glossary, cast of characters, Sharonian Talents, and a note on calendars) being added to the monthly bundle version.

CHAPTER ONE
Ternathal 10, 5053 AE
[November 29, 1928 CE]

1928 sounds about right. We had a hint in (I think) the first book that let you correlate the timeline to Earth; the huge volcano that exploded simultaneously in every know universe corresponds to Krakatoa's 1883 eruption. And the reference gave the elapsed time since that of around 40ish years. The general Sharonan technology is a decade or two behind what Earth had in the early 20s (and more than that in places) but they were into the 20s in the first book.

Return to Multiverse