Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by Louis R   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:01 pm

Louis R
Commodore

Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:25 pm

That won't necessarily prevent Andrin from coming up with something inventive. It just means that the Seneschal won't be able to appreciate it properly.

Keith_w wrote:
ShrnR wrote:Both Arcanans and Sharonans repeatedly describe the other folks' tools and methods as "unnatural." I believe their complete rejection of those items in those terms indicates not just their insularity, but also the unconscious recognition that the laws of physics of their universe have been violated. As long as they have approached each new universe expecting their home rules to apply, apparently those rules HAVE applied. Until now. If Sharona got there first, then Sharona's rules apply, and vice versa.

Whether or not their use of Gifts and Talents has shaped the physics of their universes, it seems to be obvious that the home worlds are essentially safe from attack if the opposing technology is ineffective there. That leaves the war to be fought only in the intermediate universes where both sets of weapons will function. That may give us a nice, looong Weber/Presby series (yay!).

Personally, I enjoy the scenes set in Sharona a lot more than the ones in Arcana. I can't wait to find out what Andrin does to the Seneschal, and if Zindel is able to continue ruling.


You do realize he is dead don't you? - not having an actual (as opposed to an emotional) heart will do that to you.
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by justdave   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:25 pm

justdave
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

IIRC the MWM mentioned in the 3 horseman(?) interview that there was a very basic difference in the phyiscs

in Arcana the speed of light is instantaneous, ie infinite

which then caused considerable wailing and gnashing of teeth on another thread, lol
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:10 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

justdave wrote:IIRC the MWM mentioned in the 3 horseman(?) interview that there was a very basic difference in the phyiscs

in Arcana the speed of light is instantaneous, ie infinite

which then caused considerable wailing and gnashing of teeth on another thread, lol


Reference please?
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:38 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5134
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

Randomiser wrote:
justdave wrote:IIRC the MWM mentioned in the 3 horseman(?) interview that there was a very basic difference in the phyiscs

in Arcana the speed of light is instantaneous, ie infinite

which then caused considerable wailing and gnashing of teeth on another thread, lol


Reference please?

Here's one old thread linking to and discussing that interview. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7339&p=203300#p203142
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by tinfoil   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Given that there are likely many many many planets in each universe with sentient life on them (google "Drake equation" if this is news to you), why does the viewpoint of the denizens of a single planet like Earth dictate the 'physical laws' of an entire universe?
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:31 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

1: The Drake Equation has so many Unknowns in it,
that it is meaningless for serious predictions.

2: Beyond that, because the Authors say so!
They do not use the Drake Equation in their story.
They do not say that Physical Laws are the same in every
galaxy or solar system in any particular universe,
they do not even say that there is more than one galaxy,
solar system, or even planet in any particular universe.

For all that they have said in the three books, the "stars"
might all be mere points of light on the Celestial Sphere!
So far, these books are Planet-bound.

HTM

tinfoil wrote:Given that there are likely many many many planets in each universe with sentient life on them (google "Drake equation" if this is news to you), why does the viewpoint of the denizens of a single planet like Earth dictate the 'physical laws' of an entire universe?
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by jeremyr   » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:29 am

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:33 pm
Location: Corinth, TX

I believe that the Hell's Gate world is a nexus or loci where each portal leads to a universe with different physics. It would be interesting to know what kind of physics is down the other 3 portals. I suspect they'll never be developed as a plot line though.
We saw where the griffin handlers were having trouble with the griffins the further from Hell's Gate and their home universe they traveled. So far only Shylar and Jathmar have traveled completely to the end of another chain. It would be interesting to see how much Gadriel's magic diminishes as she traveled towards Sharona.
Someone said the guns worked perfectly when Gadriel changed her thinking. No they didn't. They fired, but it was not perfectly and the bullet did not travel all the way to the target.
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4931
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Reread that section. She fired twice. The first time she got a weak discharge. The second time after Jathmar reiterated the process, it fired perfectly.

jeremyr wrote:I believe that the Hell's Gate world is a nexus or loci where each portal leads to a universe with different physics. It would be interesting to know what kind of physics is down the other 3 portals. I suspect they'll never be developed as a plot line though.
We saw where the griffin handlers were having trouble with the griffins the further from Hell's Gate and their home universe they traveled. So far only Shylar and Jathmar have traveled completely to the end of another chain. It would be interesting to see how much Gadriel's magic diminishes as she traveled towards Sharona.
Someone said the guns worked perfectly when Gadriel changed her thinking. No they didn't. They fired, but it was not perfectly and the bullet did not travel all the way to the target.
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

::a Naughty Moose responds::
I did reread that section.
All that I found was, the second time,
the gun made the "CCRRAAAAKK" noise perfectly.
I did not see a mention of what the bullet did.

Naughty Moose

PeterZ wrote:Reread that section. She fired twice. The first time she got a weak discharge. The second time after Jathmar reiterated the process, it fired perfectly.
Top
Re: Spoiler! Gadriel's Realization Spoiler!
Post by jeremyr   » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:33 pm
Location: Corinth, TX

I will look for it tomorrow. But on a kindle will take some time. I've read the book twice already and had the impression it didn't fire perfectly.
Top

Return to Multiverse