Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

Reflecting Upon RTH -- SPOILER THREAD

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Reflecting Upon RTH -- SPOILER THREAD
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
n7axw wrote:
As I understand it, while all magic requires someone gifted to set up the spells, it can be set for useage by the non-gifted. In that event, it is hard to see why crystals set up as bombs couldn't be set up with non-magical trigguring mechanisms.

As for how expensive it might be, cost is set up by supply and demand. It us possible that the availability of magisters to set up the spells could drive up the cost of the crystals, especially if they were needed in large numbers.

Don

-

Not quite. Both Dagger Stones and the demolition charge spells required Gifted users to utilize. That implies that some limits of either complexity of the spell or power captured by a spell requires the Gift. Would arming a powerful bomb require a greater level of Gift than dragon riders usually possess? Perhaps.

Firing artillery would have the same limitations and we would add aiming the field piece to arming the shell/crystal. Not to mention actually propelling the shell/crystal a suitable distance. Consider the reaction to Jathmar's description of the pressures his small rifle cartridge generated at the firing range. That sort of pressure or motive force was unheard of. Heck, Arcanans use spell aided crossbows to launch small arms missiles. What would they do for large missiles?

I suspect that capturing the forces Gadriel described just before she shot the rifle is no mean feat for magisters. Likely a feat that would require a seriously gifted magister to create and some high level of Gift to event fire properly.

Interesting. Not arguing here... (unlike usual :lol: ) But the
crossbow users don't need gifts to use their weapons. Velvelig was able to arm a magically assisted crossbow. Or those crystals that Gadriel was showing Shaylar and Jathmar that apparently functioned like computers could be set for the nongifted to use? Is there a way of differentiating between what requires the gifted and what can be set up for everyone?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:17 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I recall repeated textev that some spells require the Gift to use. Not are designed to be used only by Gifted users. That suggests some limitations on non-Gifted users of pre-prepared spells. I am sure David is holding back on specific rules to retain some literary freedom.
Post by brnicholas   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:
Not quite. Both Dagger Stones and the demolition charge spells required Gifted users to utilize. That implies that some limits of either complexity of the spell or power captured by a spell requires the Gift. Would arming a powerful bomb require a greater level of Gift than dragon riders usually possess? Perhaps.

Firing artillery would have the same limitations and we would add aiming the field piece to arming the shell/crystal. Not to mention actually propelling the shell/crystal a suitable distance. Consider the reaction to Jathmar's description of the pressures his small rifle cartridge generated at the firing range. That sort of pressure or motive force was unheard of. Heck, Arcanans use spell aided crossbows to launch small arms missiles. What would they do for large missiles?

I suspect that capturing the forces Gadriel described just before she shot the rifle is no mean feat for magisters. Likely a feat that would require a seriously gifted magister to create and some high level of Gift to event fire properly.

Your question about larger missiles/projectiles is an interesting one. I tend to see it from a different angle.

If the Arcanans can make a warhead they appear to have all the other pieces for a cruise missile. The propulsion system can come from the slider cars. The spells for seeing where it is from recon crystals. The ability to make sense of the images from the image analysis spellware that has been mentioned in text. The programing for following a route from the PCs.

If they can make a warhead. They ought to be able to connect several crystals to a piece of wood and have it fly itself, possibly including right through portals, to where they want it to go boom.

Nicholas
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Astelon wrote:It is such an obvious tactic that there must be some reason they don't use it. Problems with activating the spell properly (outside of a gifted person's control) may be one reason. Their crystal (sarkolis?) may be to expensive to throw away as artillery and bombs for this use could also prevent it. Although they have shown so much of it (albeit only for reusable purposes) that I am not sure it could be prohibitively expensive.

As I understand it, while all magic requires someone gifted to set up the spells, it can be set for useage by the non-gifted. In that event, it is hard to see why crystals set up as bombs couldn't be set up with non-magical trigguring mechanisms.

As for how expensive it might be, cost is set up by supply and demand. It us possible that the availability of magisters to set up the spells could drive up the cost of the crystals, especially if they were needed in large numbers.

Don

-

It's also possible that's it's fairly trivial to disrupt set spell triggers once you know it's there. Dropping crystal bomb-spells down on Gifted armies would be a waste of time is they could throw up a counter-spell to disrupt or disarm the falling bomb-spell or its trigger...

It can't be that easy to do a universal disarm spell or the would have to carefully probe for trap spells; but when you can easily see/detect it falling through the air it might not be so hard.

Anyway just one more random attempt at an explanation for how it could be possible but still nobody had bothered before.
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

brnicholas wrote:
PeterZ wrote:

Your question about larger missiles/projectiles is an interesting one. I tend to see it from a different angle.

If the Arcanans can make a warhead they appear to have all the other pieces for a cruise missile. The propulsion system can come from the slider cars. The spells for seeing where it is from recon crystals. The ability to make sense of the images from the image analysis spellware that has been mentioned in text. The programing for following a route from the PCs.

If they can make a warhead. They ought to be able to connect several crystals to a piece of wood and have it fly itself, possibly including right through portals, to where they want it to go boom.

Nicholas

I don't see that. The sliders appear to need a guideway and they don't cross portals both of which would appear to limit their utility in the situation we are discussing.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by justdave   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:13 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Keith_w wrote:
They ought to be able to connect several crystals to a piece of wood and have it fly itself, possibly including right through portals, to where they want it to go boom.

interesting item from MWM on new Baen interview where he 'speculates' that Arcana 'might' figure out that while spells can't penetrate a portal the stone itself could pass thru and then activate, "tum de tum"
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

About the only thing we know with any degree of confidence is that the closer to the other guy's home world you get the less effective your weapons will be. A spell set off in Tajvana would probably as powerful as a soap bubble, or perhaps Jathmar's rifle in Portalis. I wonder if the Sharonians have any idea of that yet.

Just thinking about that, Velvelig has some Arcanan healers in his party. I wouldn't be surprised if once his party hooks up with the army, those healers get sent to Sharona, perhaps to help Zindel only to discover that their gifts don't work...wouldn't that be frustrating. Unless they manage to make the proper connection, no one will understand that Zindel needs to be transported out to Ft Salby to get the benefit of the healer's gift.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:50 am

Keith_w
Commodore

justdave wrote:
Keith_w wrote:
They ought to be able to connect several crystals to a piece of wood and have it fly itself, possibly including right through portals, to where they want it to go boom.

interesting item from MWM on new Baen interview where he 'speculates' that Arcana 'might' figure out that while spells can't penetrate a portal the stone itself could pass thru and then activate, "tum de tum"

Hi Dave, I'd like to point out that I did not write that, BRNicholas did. Thanks.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by brnicholas   » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:18 am

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

Keith_w wrote:
brnicholas wrote:Your question about larger missiles/projectiles is an interesting one. I tend to see it from a different angle.

Nicholas

I don't see that. The sliders appear to need a guideway and they don't cross portals both of which would appear to limit their utility in the situation we are discussing.

Regarding the need for a guideway. Addressing that is why I spoke of the guidance system coming from Recon Crystals, Image Analysis Spellware and PCs. I think they have the ability to set up way point movement based on overhead imagery.

As for sliders not crossing portals. Would you please post the text evidence for that.

I am not denying it, I still haven't been able to read RTH so for all I know it may say that and if it does that would trump earlier works. But until you post text I must go with the evidence I have seen and Chapter 1 of Hell's Gate, when discussing portal physics, says:
"it wasn't at all uncommon to see two lines of slider cars charging into a portal on exactly opposite headings—one from the east and the other from the west—at the exact same moment on what appeared to be exactly the same track. No matter how carefully it had all been explained before a man saw it for the first time with his own eyes, he knew those two sliders had to be colliding in the universe on the other side of that portal. But, of course, they weren't. Viewed from the side in that other universe, both sliders were exploding out of the same space simultaneously . . . but headed in exactly opposite directions."

That text seems quite clear that sliders can cross portals.

Nicholas
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:43 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

brnicholas wrote:As for sliders not crossing portals. Would you please post the text evidence for that.

I am not denying it, I still haven't been able to read RTH so for all I know it may say that and if it does that would trump earlier works. But until you post text I must go with the evidence I have seen and Chapter 1 of Hell's Gate, when discussing portal physics, says:
"it wasn't at all uncommon to see two lines of slider cars charging into a portal on exactly opposite headings—one from the east and the other from the west—at the exact same moment on what appeared to be exactly the same track. No matter how carefully it had all been explained before a man saw it for the first time with his own eyes, he knew those two sliders had to be colliding in the universe on the other side of that portal. But, of course, they weren't. Viewed from the side in that other universe, both sliders were exploding out of the same space simultaneously . . . but headed in exactly opposite directions."

That text seems quite clear that sliders can cross portals.

Nicholas
Heh, I'd forgotten that bit from Hell's Gate, and the authors might have too.

Here's the text from RTH that I believe Keith_w was thinking of
Road to Hell: Ch 18 wrote:Of course, motics can’t cross a portal threshold any better than a slider can, and that’s going to be an ongoing problem for their owners. You’ve seen the elaborate arrangements the slider stations have for transferring passengers between coaches at a portal, but how does the owner of a private motic manage that?” He shook his head.
“I think they’ll manage it in the end,” Gadrial said confidently. “There’s been some fundamental research into purely mechanical ways of getting entire sliders across thresholds, Jas. If we can make that work, we can scale it down for motics.

That seems completely at odds with the description from the earlier book.

Return to Multiverse