Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

When will Multiverse#4 hit the shelves?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
When will Multiverse#4 hit the shelves?
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Ok, ok, I know - Number 3 isn't officially out yet. But if I remember correctly, HG and HHNF came out with no more than 3 months distance to each other ... so, what do you think are the chances that we get the 4th book still in 2016?

Imo the chances that the 4th installment goes public still in 2016 are slim - at best - regarding the workload, David faces. But I hope for book 4 for Spring or Summer 2017 - or, failing that, at least sooner than the 9(!) years, which passed between HHNF and RTH.

And - btw - what title the 4th book will have? My guess is "All Hell breaks out" - yours?
Re: When will Multiverse#4 hit the shelves?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

The second book came out so soon, because
it was written as part of the first book,
which then became too long for a single volume.
DW had reserved three (3) months of writing-time
a year later for book three, but Real Life came along
and took that time away. Before he could re-schedule,
Linda Evans got sick, so he waited for her to get well
enough to write ... which didn't happen.
Finally he accepted Joelle Presby as co-writer.

I figure that DW will need a three-month block to go
over whatever JP's first draft for Book 4. It might
be at least a full year, maybe two or three, before
he can make that much time. So, no Book 4 in 2016, or
2017. My guess is that 2018 is the soonest at all likely,
and maybe later. :(
If at all. :( :( :cry:

HTM

Eagleeye wrote:Ok, ok, I know - Number 3 isn't officially out yet. But if I remember correctly, HG and HHNF came out with no more than 3 months distance to each other ... so, what do you think are the chances that we get the 4th book still in 2016?

Imo the chances that the 4th installment goes public still in 2016 are slim - at best - regarding the workload, David faces. But I hope for book 4 for Spring or Summer 2017 - or, failing that, at least sooner than the 9(!) years, which passed between HHNF and RTH.

And - btw - what title the 4th book will have? My guess is "All Hell breaks out" - yours?
Post by DanNeely   » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:25 pm

DanNeely
Ensign

I think the biggest question is just how long will it take Joelle to write it. Digging around old messages on Baen's bar, it looks like it took between 9 and 12 months for her first draft (2/3rds done in early January 2014, finished in late April.) Revisions were still underway in late July. I don't have a date on when they were finally completed, but the March 2016 pub date suggests sometime in late 2014 to early 2015. Baen normally schedules about a year in advance; but scheduling the lead book for the month is more complicated than the other slots for the month so it might've had to wait a bit longer to get an opening. Between it being Joelle's first novel and David's chaotic schedule, I really doubt Toni put it on the schedule until it was complete.

Of course, since it's probably been well over a year since RTH was turned in, the question becomes what has she been doing since then? If David was able to get the outline done quickly enough, its possible he could have an initial draft sitting on his to edit pile now. In that case, late 2017'd be possible for the next one. OTOH if it hasn't been started yet, late 2018's starting to look optimistic.
Post by Max   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I just finished RTH. From the looks of it, there are enough lose ends for book #5. RFC writes multi-volume series so it is almost a given that there will be more than four...

Now I have to go back and re-read the whole series...
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Welcome to the Forum, Max!
We can always use another Multiverse fan!
It might help you to read all of the threads in this Forum.

HTM

Max wrote:I just finished RTH. From the looks of it, there are enough lose ends for book #5. RFC writes multi-volume series so it is almost a given that there will be more than four...

Last edited by Howard T. Map-addict on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by cnrd22   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:22 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Max wrote:I just finished RTH. From the looks of it, there are enough lose ends for book #5. RFC writes multi-volume series so it is almost a given that there will be more than four...

There is extensive evidence from DW's recent (fall 2015) talks that Multiverse 4 ends the current arc and future books if any (meaning sales good enough to warrant them) will start about 100 years later and include our Earth too (it would be in the late 2020's/early 2030's based on the dates in RTH and what DW said about the potential future Multiverse books)

As for book 4, right now my prediction is late 2017/early 2018 (December/January) as the next to last Honorverse will be (hopefully) this year (October sounds optimistic now but I still believe we will get that book in 2016), then the last Safehold of the current arc (ATSOT) in summer/fall 2017 (as DW hadn't started working on it by January from what was reported and Tor usually has 1 year turnaround at best) and then the last Honorverse is planned for April 2018, so that date would fit in well
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

cnrd22 wrote:

There is extensive evidence from DW's recent (fall 2015) talks that Multiverse 4 ends the current arc and future books if any (meaning sales good enough to warrant them) will start about 100 years later and include our Earth too (it would be in the late 2020's/early 2030's based on the dates in RTH and what DW said about the potential future Multiverse books)

As for book 4, right now my prediction is late 2017/early 2018 (December/January) as the next to last Honorverse will be (hopefully) this year (October sounds optimistic now but I still believe we will get that book in 2016), then the last Safehold of the current arc (ATSOT) in summer/fall 2017 (as DW hadn't started working on it by January from what was reported and Tor usually has 1 year turnaround at best) and then the last Honorverse is planned for April 2018, so that date would fit in well

End of Hell's Gate
End of Honorverse
End of Safehold
hopefully no out of the dark 2

OMG! What will RFC do! No writing! (ok, dictating)
Even worse, What will we do?
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Max   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:

Welcome to the Forum, Max!
We can always use another Multiverse fan!
It might help you to read all of the threads in this Forum.

HTM

All of them? Really? Some of them look like the people who wrote them haven't really read the series and I'd be tempted to be quite acidic in my commentary if I had to respond. If you don't mind, I'll skip some of the worst stuff...

Working through the FAQ at the moment...

Etiquette question:
I really dislike top-post responses. Is it OK to convert them to bottom-posts like I just did? :D
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:10 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Keith_w wrote:End of Hell's Gate
End of Honorverse
End of Safehold
hopefully no out of the dark 2

OMG! What will RFC do! No writing! (ok, dictating)
Even worse, What will we do?

Safehold current arc ends next, but then we have at least 2/3 more books about the reveal set a few decades later and then possibly something about the Gbaba

Current arc of Honorverse presumably ends in 2018, but then we most likely will have the new arc dealing with the final defeat of the alignment (I am fairly certain that the current arc will end with a peace in which the Renaissance League becomes the main successor state of the SL and the known bad guys like Detweiller, Anissimovna etc are dead or presumed so) and set decades later - 2-3, probably more books there

4 more Bazhell universe books to go

maybe more Multiverse

so lots more to come, but there will be some closure so DW can say he finished a series...
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:13 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

DanNeely wrote:I think the biggest question is just how long will it take Joelle to write it. Digging around old messages on Baen's bar, it looks like it took between 9 and 12 months for her first draft (2/3rds done in early January 2014, finished in late April.) Revisions were still underway in late July. I don't have a date on when they were finally completed, but the March 2016 pub date suggests sometime in late 2014 to early 2015. Baen normally schedules about a year in advance; but scheduling the lead book for the month is more complicated than the other slots for the month so it might've had to wait a bit longer to get an opening. Between it being Joelle's first novel and David's chaotic schedule, I really doubt Toni put it on the schedule until it was complete.

Of course, since it's probably been well over a year since RTH was turned in, the question becomes what has she been doing since then? If David was able to get the outline done quickly enough, its possible he could have an initial draft sitting on his to edit pile now. In that case, late 2017'd be possible for the next one. OTOH if it hasn't been started yet, late 2018's starting to look optimistic.

Saw a tweet from Joelle from a couple days ago saying that she's "halfway through the new novel's 1st draft"

So somewhere between your best (draft complete) and worst (draft not started) cases.

Return to Multiverse