Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

SPOILER-Speculation for Road to Hell and beyond

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: SPOILER-Speculation for Road to Hell and beyond
Post by Terranovan   » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Terranovan
Ensign

Sharonan "Arpathians" seem to be known as "Andarans" in Arcana and "Native Americans" or "American Indians" in real life. Could a Calirath Emperor/Empress have arranged that on prompting from a Glimpse?
I doubt that RFC will reply to this with anything more than a grin and "Tum, te, tum, te, tum..."
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I thought Arpathians were from the Asian stepp? In other words they were Mongols undiluted by Chinese intermarriage.
Terranovan wrote:Sharonan "Arpathians" seem to be known as "Andarans" in Arcana and "Native Americans" or "American Indians" in real life. Could a Calirath Emperor/Empress have arranged that on prompting from a Glimpse?
Post by Terranovan   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Terranovan
Ensign

PeterZ wrote:I thought Arpathians were from the Asian stepp? In other words they were Mongols undiluted by Chinese intermarriage.
Terranovan wrote:Sharonan "Arpathians" seem to be known as "Andarans" in Arcana and "Native Americans" or "American Indians" in real life. Could a Calirath Emperor/Empress have arranged that on prompting from a Glimpse?

Hulmok Arthag refers to his family producing several "shamans". More to the point, we don't see (so far as I can remember) any natives of "New Ternathia" (Sharonan North America). Or, as a third option, we could both be right and they're somewhere between the two.
I doubt that RFC will reply to this with anything more than a grin and "Tum, te, tum, te, tum..."
Post by Louis R   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

If you're going on the use of "shaman", it's actually a stronger indication of a steppe origin than Great Plains, although i'm sure that Himself is more than capable of throwing it in precisely for the misdirection effect.

Shamanism is still current among the Mongols and their northern and eastern neighbours today, and the word itself comes from far-eastern Siberia via Russian and German. Although 'shamanic' it certainly an accurate descriptor it isn't in general use for native American cultures - I see it in use most often in Mesoamearican archaeological contexts, actually. Also, the fact that Arpathians are consumate horsemen argues for the Mongol connection: it would be pushing really, really hard for an otherwise completely divergent history to duplicate the Spanish invasion and conquest patterns closely enough to have turned Plains Indians into the same quality light cavalry seen in our world [since i see no reason not to thing that the horse went extinct in North America in the same way], without some pretty profound assimilation of other aspects of Ternathian culture that don't appear to be in evidence.

Finally, IIRC there's direct reference to conflict between Arpathians and Uromathians that wouldn't be likely if they weren't neighbours.

Terranovan wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I thought Arpathians were from the Asian stepp? In other words they were Mongols undiluted by Chinese intermarriage.

Hulmok Arthag refers to his family producing several "shamans". More to the point, we don't see (so far as I can remember) any natives of "New Ternathia" (Sharonan North America). Or, as a third option, we could both be right and they're somewhere between the two.

Return to Multiverse