Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Inter universe complications concerning abilities (spoilers

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Post by SYED   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:46 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

We know the spells controlling animals break down. Do the animals them selves suffer from the change? I bet crystals suffer, but I wonder if something with out active magic could be shared with the talented.
I wonder if interbreeding between the gifted and talented would allow the two systems to merge through their worlds.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

No data yet.

HTM

SYED wrote:We know the spells controlling animals break down. Do the animals them selves suffer from the change? I bet crystals suffer, but I wonder if something with out active magic could be shared with the talented.
I wonder if interbreeding between the gifted and talented would allow the two systems to merge through their worlds.
Re: Inter universe complications concerning abilities (spoi
Post by feyhunde   » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:No data yet.

HTM

We do know that if the spells are intrinsic, they break down, like the lifting spells on dragons.

So far, it seems the fantastic beast are not so much magical rather than made using magical tools. Dragons and Krakens made using magical genetic engineering and breeding. Unicorns from horses.

Otoh, the Jinn seem mostly magical.

I think we'll see the free rides some of the magical creatures get start to hurt. If a dragon depends on magic to fly, and doesn't have the right flight characteristics to actually fly, then it's going to have problems too far from home in operating at all.

Otoh, if a horse just depends on magic to have better endurance and require less food, then its more of a logistics and time table problem.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

feyhunde wrote:

HTM

We do know that if the spells are intrinsic, they break down, like the lifting spells on dragons.

So far, it seems the fantastic beast are not so much magical rather than made using magical tools. Dragons and Krakens made using magical genetic engineering and breeding. Unicorns from horses.

Otoh, the Jinn seem mostly magical.

I think we'll see the free rides some of the magical creatures get start to hurt. If a dragon depends on magic to fly, and doesn't have the right flight characteristics to actually fly, then it's going to have problems too far from home in operating at all.

Otoh, if a horse just depends on magic to have better endurance and require less food, then its more of a logistics and time table problem.

My impression is that dragons do not require magic to fly. However there are magic enhancements that allow them to carry heavier loads...an increase from 15 to 25 or 30 tons.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Astelon   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:43 am

Astelon
Commander

****** E-arc Spoiler ****

Gadrial does say that dragons require magic to fly.
Post by BrightSoul   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 am

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Potential Spoiler

I seem to recall references to control issues with the Combat Griffons.

HTM

SYED wrote:We know the spells controlling animals break down. Do the animals them selves suffer from the change? I bet crystals suffer, but I wonder if something with out active magic could be shared with the talented.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

That was in HHNF, at Fort Mosanak in Karys.

And then all those griffons fought to the death at Salby,
instead of striking and then flying away. Planned?
Or did the Recall Spell fail ... for each of them?

HTM

BrightSoul wrote:
I seem to recall references to control issues
with the Combat Griffons.

Post by Astelon   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Astelon
Commander

I believe that the griffons were to fight to distract the Sharonian resistance. They also died pretty fast when up against shotguns and pistols. It may not have been intended to have most of them killed, but that is the way it worked. The AEF still had some griffons, in fact in a later chapter, FROM THE E-ARC, a handler was injured by one.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:24 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Astelon wrote:I believe that the griffons were to fight to distract the Sharonian resistance. They also died pretty fast when up against shotguns and pistols. It may not have been intended to have most of them killed, but that is the way it worked. The AEF still had some griffons, in fact in a later chapter, FROM THE E-ARC, a handler was injured by one.

Wasn't there a distinction between attack griffons and those intended for recon?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:51 am

Keith_w
Commodore

n7axw wrote:
Astelon wrote:I believe that the griffons were to fight to distract the Sharonian resistance. They also died pretty fast when up against shotguns and pistols. It may not have been intended to have most of them killed, but that is the way it worked. The AEF still had some griffons, in fact in a later chapter, FROM THE E-ARC, a handler was injured by one.

Wasn't there a distinction between attack griffons and those intended for recon?

Don

-

Yes, Recon griffins are mostly female and more tractable, attack griffins are male and not so tractable.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Multiverse