Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

One thing about the marriage that confuses me

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: One thing about the marriage that confuses me
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:18 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:There's Laws,
and there is What Actually Happens,
and then there is What People Expect To Happen.

I daresay that Chava's daughters-in-law have been slaves.
His daughters, OTOH, might be his senior agents, (or
maybe not, if he despises women too much).

The Caliraths might demand that Andrin's husband come to
them for the marriage, and live with them.
Chava would demand that Andrin come to his territory.
What then?
No marriage unless they meet *somewhere*!

HTM

I would think that Zindel would still hold the trump card here. Andrin is the actual heir to the throne while her husband is only the consort. That would pretty much mean that Andrin's status would compel her to live in the imperial capital, I would think.

That would mean that her consort would need to come and reside in the capital as part of Andrin's family to claim his bride.

On the other hand, there is no mistaking the amount of stress that the prospect of having one of Chava's sons as Andrin's husband places on Zindel and Andrin so I could have this wrong.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Astelon   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:53 am

Astelon
Commander

It would also be difficult to protect Andrin from her husband for multiple reasons. She must have a child to be the heir, and preferably more than one so they could have a spare. It could easily look bad in the eyes of the public, and make her look weak in the eyes of the nobles (even Ternathia has problems with some of their nobles). Making the husband a near outcast in the court could also lead to divisions and unrest within the empire (how would Uromathians react if they felt they were be slighted, as a race, by the crown).

Also the husband would have some duties within the government, he is supposed to support the crown princess after all, and denying him those duties would be a grave insult. Allowing a hoistile husband those duties gives him room for all sorts of intrigue and espionage.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Good Points, Astelon!

HTM

Astelon wrote:It would also be difficult to protect Andrin from her husband for multiple reasons. She must have a child to be the heir, and preferably more than one so they could have a spare. It could easily look bad in the eyes of the public, and make her look weak in the eyes of the nobles (even Ternathia has problems with some of their nobles). Making the husband a near outcast in the court could also lead to divisions and unrest within the empire (how would Uromathians react if they felt they were be slighted, as a race, by the crown).

Also the husband would have some duties within the government, he is supposed to support the crown princess after all, and denying him those duties would be a grave insult. Allowing a hoistile husband those duties gives him room for all sorts of intrigue and espionage.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Astelon wrote:It would also be difficult to protect Andrin from her husband for multiple reasons. She must have a child to be the heir, and preferably more than one so they could have a spare. It could easily look bad in the eyes of the public, and make her look weak in the eyes of the nobles (even Ternathia has problems with some of their nobles). Making the husband a near outcast in the court could also lead to divisions and unrest within the empire (how would Uromathians react if they felt they were be slighted, as a race, by the crown).

Andrin is the heir to become the Empress upon the death of her father. That is true whether she bears children or not. A child that she bears becomes her heir.

Apart from that, I agree with this post.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Astelon   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:54 pm

Astelon
Commander

I did mean HER heir when I wrote that.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:48 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Astelon wrote:I did mean HER heir when I wrote that.

I'm presuming that all of this is hypothetical sinse Andrin did marry the prince of her choice rather than one of Chava's sons.

But what options would the imperial family have should it prove that her husband was a security risk?

Don

-
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

He could be kept busy morning, noon and night pressing the flesh, opening war bond drives and building morale by reviewing the front line troops. All of which would mean he hadn't a scoobie about anything sensitive and was too tired to conspire with anyone.

'The Chava's son would abuse Andrin' is about the weakest and least believable bit of the whole opening. Zindel issues an Imperial decree that the heir and consort live in the palace, supplies all their guards and servants and the husband gets introduced to several burly Ternathian guards and left in no doubt what will happen to him any time he lays a finger on Andrin that she doesn't want him to. Zindel cannot hold off on investigating Chava's previous criminal activities forever; if Chava plays up that process and the subsequent executions happen much sooner. The Uromathian Empire, lacking anyone but Chava who can keep everyone else in line falls to bits. It's not pretty but it works.

Zindel chan Caliran 'stands between' and the poor, abused, downtrodden Uromathian people just became his responsibility. How long do you think Chava's got?
Last edited by Randomiser on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:39 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Not long at all. Assuming that Andrin has a hand in what happens, well, even less time and even less grace will be available. That however does not mean Chava will die.

I'll leave projective Privy Voices, compulsions and just deserts to the imagination of one who has read RTH.
Post by jchilds   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:23 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Nobody said they have to be rational fears.
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:54 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Perhaps in that culture the child of a dead mother is raised the fathers family. Which would make Chava very happy - a grandchild of his, on the throne, with him at his shoulder.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Multiverse