Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Baen sample chapters (Spoilers)

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Baen sample chapters (Spoilers)
Post by SYED   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:05 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

There are more chapters out there post what this forum has. It helps advance the story, and it shows something really unexpected. It has the first eleven chapters.

I was wondering which world has the evil interrogators and the POW? I forget. I need it to check my theory for the future. The name not the people I mean, so I can place it on the map.
Re: Baen sample chapters (Spoilers)
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:12 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Arcana does. Sharona hasn't had anyone to interrogate, evilly or otherwise.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:08 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

There are Arcanan prisoners to interogate. IIRC they were taken when Sharona recaptured Hell's Gate. The most severely wounded ones were moved to the portal fort near Hell's Gate for medical treatment. These were liberated when Harshu launched his offensive. The others were shipped up the line toward Sharona.

The Sharonians are at a disadvantage in that they don't share the language of their prisoners, however. They will have to solve that for interrogation to take place.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:43 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Considering how quickly Shaylar learned Andaran, that should not pose a problem. I suspect that had the voices not been killed, the Sharonans would be further along in learning the language. Perhaps the diplomatic Voice at Fallen Timbers also sent his memories of the translated exchanges between diplomats. That would facilitate learning whatever language was used by the Arcanan diplomats. I assume it was Andaran.

Once Voices learn Andaran it would be relatively quick to disseminate the skill to other Talented individuals. Using Projectives it would be possible to teach un-Talented people.

n7axw wrote:There are Arcanan prisoners to interogate. IIRC they were taken when Sharona recaptured Hell's Gate. The most severely wounded ones were moved to the portal fort near Hell's Gate for medical treatment. These were liberated when Harshu launched his offensive. The others were shipped up the line toward Sharona.

The Sharonians are at a disadvantage in that they don't share the language of their prisoners, however. They will have to solve that for interrogation to take place.

Don

-
Post by n7axw   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:12 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Considering how quickly Shaylar learned Andaran, that should not pose a problem. I suspect that had the voices not been killed, the Sharonans would be further along in learning the language. Perhaps the diplomatic Voice at Fallen Timbers also sent his memories of the translated exchanges between diplomats. That would facilitate learning whatever language was used by the Arcanan diplomats. I assume it was Andaran.

Once Voices learn Andaran it would be relatively quick to disseminate the skill to other Talented individuals. Using Projectives it would be possible to teach un-Talented people.

This does make sense. I had forgotten about the role the talent played in Shaylar's case.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SYED   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:53 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

I meant the name of the world the arcanum forces are using as a base. It is one of the worlds they took when they advancde beyond hellsgate. They are set up in a fort they took.

Also, which world has that kid Voice hidden in the wilderness
?

So not only will dragons be strained prviding logistical support in addition to their military duties, they will also be slated to search out the mmixed forxe in the wild. So making tgem all the more vulnerable.

The crystals likely already have a translation program, while the voice network passed along some of tye negotiation talks so they are not starting from scratch.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Fort Ghartoum(sp?) At the portal between Thermyn and Nairsom.

SYED wrote:I meant the name of the world the arcanum forces are using as a base. It is one of the worlds they took when they advancde beyond hellsgate. They are set up in a fort they took.

Also, which world has that kid Voice hidden in the wilderness
?

So not only will dragons be strained prviding logistical support in addition to their military duties, they will also be slated to search out the mmixed forxe in the wild. So making tgem all the more vulnerable.

The crystals likely already have a translation program, while the voice network passed along some of tye negotiation talks so they are not starting from scratch.
Post by SYED   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:24 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

They have 2 options, go to hellsgate and get lost or head into the other chain tyat is not on the main path to the front line.
On one hand it allows them to meet up with the jegotiation team, but in hiding how will the ever know to return. The other route offers them a chance of sneaking past the front line to those not likely to simply shoot tyem out of hand hopefully.
I hope they meet that kid voice, that way it gives them a great advantage.
They will likely take as much gear as needed, but would they destroy what they leave behind. It would slow down any search attempts, enough to ensure they cna hide beyond the portal. If they mess with the logistical system not onoy could thry slow down tye seach, they could seriously hamper the supply line to the front.
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:20 am

Keith_w
Commodore

n7axw wrote:There are Arcanan prisoners to interogate. IIRC they were taken when Sharona recaptured Hell's Gate. The most severely wounded ones were moved to the portal fort near Hell's Gate for medical treatment. These were liberated when Harshu launched his offensive. The others were shipped up the line toward Sharona.

Don

-

forgot about them.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:03 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Keith_w wrote:
forgot about them.

It happens with age. Only I can't claim that sinse I've been doing it all my life! :lol:

Don

-

Return to Multiverse