Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

e-Arc of RTH is scheduled for December 15th

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: e-Arc of RTH is scheduled for December 15th
Post by boballab   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:27 am

boballab
Captain of the List

I think you are confusing a Monthly bundle with E-Arcs. As someone that has purchased E-Arcs before you get the full book when you purchase it. The new books in the Monthly Bundle is offered in parts where you get the First half of the book one month, the next 1/4 the next month and then the full book on the 16th of the Month prior to publication.
What is an eARC?
An eARC is an Advance Reader Copy. This is an unproofed manuscript and is guaranteed to be full of typos and error. It is pretty much raw from the author's word processor. But you get the entire eARC well in advance of even the Monthly Baen Bundle release.

http://www.webscription.net/t-faq.aspx?tab=earc

How does the Monthly Baen Bundle Program work?
Each novel is published in three segments, one month apart, beginning three months before the actual publication date. Each month, several books are available. For each month purchased, you receive access to a directory containing these books.

Four months before publication, the Ebook is listed as Forthcoming.

Three months before publication, you gain access to the first Half of the books in HTML format.

Two months before publication, you gain access to the first Three Quarters of the books in HTML format.

One month before publication, you receive full access to the final quarter in all seven DRM-free formats, completing the books.

About two weeks after the last quarter is delivered to that month's Monthly Baen Ebook subscribers, bookstores around the country will begin to stock these titles (if the book is new).

http://www.webscription.net/t-faq.aspx?tab=bundles

So in the case of this book which will come out on the first Tuesday of March:

If you buy the bundle you can get the first Half of all the new books, not just this one, on December 16th. You will then get the next 1/4 of the book on Jan 16th and will have the full published version on Feb 16th.

If you buy the E-Arc when it is released you will get the full book on that date, however it is not the published version since it hasn't gone through final editing yet. So if they are going to put an E-Arc out for this book it will come out sometime between now and December 16th.

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:It says that that will be just the first half of it.
The second half will be out months later.

HTM

Down Under wrote:Hi Howard

Here is the wed address for Baen eArcs

http://www.webscription.net/default.aspx

Peter

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by boballab   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:31 am

boballab
Captain of the List

That is to buy the monthly bundle for $18 dollars not an E-Arc which will sell for $15. You can not buy the E-Arc yet since it hasn't been released yet.

Mil-tech bard wrote:This is a better Baen URL to get "Return to Hell" --

http://www.webscription.net/c-3-monthly ... ndles.aspx

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by boballab   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:42 am

boballab
Captain of the List

For those that are mixing up E-Arcs and Bundles I'll use a book that is currently the newest book to be released as an E-Arc at this time as an example. I'll give links to the pages for both the E-arc version and the Bundle version and you can see for yourselves what the difference is.

E-Arc version of Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen:
Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen - eARC
by Lois McMaster Bujold
Series: The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
Publisher: Baen Books

Published 10/21/2015
SKU: A9781476781228
Ebook Price: $15.00

http://www.webscription.net/p-2892-gent ... -earc.aspx

If you buy this you will get the full book as LMB turned it into Baen for final editing.

Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
Partial (1/2 Ebook now; full Ebook available 1/16/16)info
by Lois McMaster Bujold

W201602 February 2016 Monthly Baen Bundle (Last date to buy January 15, 2016) Price: $18.00

http://www.webscription.net/p-2895-w201 ... -2016.aspx

If you buy this you will get the First half of the book now, on Dec 16th you will get the next 1/4 of the Book and on Jan 16th you will get the full Final edited version of the book. You will also get the other 5 books with it.

E-Arcs and Bundles have different Sku numbers and publishing dates.

Post by DanNeely   » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:41 pm

DanNeely
Ensign

I strongly suspect Joelle was mistaken/confused in that post. Dec 15 is when the first half will be up in Webscriptions. EARCs almost always come out a few days to weeks before then. The only earc I remember coming out after the first halves were posted was either a Weber or Ringo that was a very late turn in; with the EARC and 1st half both going up a few days after the rest of the first halves were posted for the month.

The last 3 months of earcs were:
Title - earc date - days before first half
Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen - 10/21 - 24 days
Dark Victory - 10/14 - 1 day
1635: A Parcel of Rogues - 10/12 - 3 days
Unforgettable - 10/4 - 11 days
Storm front - 9/11 - 4 days
Comes the revolution - 9/11 - 4 days
Rhythm of the Imperium 8/18 - 28 days
Her Brother's Keeper - 8/10 - 5 days
Mission: Tomorrow - 8/3 - 12 days

That's an average of 10 days before release; but with a lot of variation and a lot more coming only a few days short than I remember.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

It is now the First day of December.
The Baen e-Books Page for Road *still* has no Sample Chapters! :(

HTM
Post by Henry Brown   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:03 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:It is now the First day of December.

HTM

And the snippets are not coming either. I hope this does not reflect a change in company policy...
Post by cnrd22   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:32 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Henry Brown wrote:
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:It is now the First day of December.

HTM

And the snippets are not coming either. I hope this does not reflect a change in company policy...

I think the sample chapters will appear when the earc or the 1/2 book will be available, so Dec 15 latest (one hopes for much earlier like tonight but...)

As for snippets, I think it is simply that DW has been way behind on his writing to deal with snippeting, while for this one particularly, the rumored dragon miscount at the front which needed to be corrected fast so the book could get into production and make the March 1st release, probably didn't help either

Return to Multiverse