Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Why does it seem there is only one portal on Sharona?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Why does it seem there is only one portal on Sharona?
Post by Aegis99   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Aegis99
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I would guess the most logical (as far as magic in a fictional universal can be logical :D ) answer is that a second portal simply hasn't formed yet. We're told that the portal that Fort Salby defends was obviously several centuries old, while the swamp portal is believed to be relatively new (I seem to recall), so it could be that simple.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Yes.
We are told that more Portals are forming
(or being formed) one Portal at a time.

HTM

Aegis99 wrote:I would guess the most logical (as far as magic in a fictional universal can be logical :D ) answer is that a second portal simply hasn't formed yet. We're told that the portal that Fort Salby defends was obviously several centuries old, while the swamp portal is believed to be relatively new (I seem to recall), so it could be that simple.
Post by bkwormlisa   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:38 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

Mostly. The Hell's Gate cluster had at least two that probably formed very recently (dead tree still standing, jungle not recovered yet), so it's possible for several to form very close together - at least in a cluster.

But yes, other worlds have portals form that are centuries apart. That could easily be the norm, so it wouldn't be surprising that Sharona and Arcana both seem to have only one portal so far. I'm almost sure about Sharona, given the amount of book time we've spent on that world. Arcana had one portal form two centuries ago, but I don't think we have enough information to say if another has formed since or not.

I think all of the portal ages we have are "several centuries" or less. Either the characters don't know the actual ages, or the entire multiverse system (well, at least this part of it) is very new. Probably the second, if they really are being formed by a sentient species somehow.
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Yes.
We are told that more Portals are forming
(or being formed) one Portal at a time.

HTM

Aegis99 wrote:I would guess the most logical (as far as magic in a fictional universal can be logical :D ) answer is that a second portal simply hasn't formed yet. We're told that the portal that Fort Salby defends was obviously several centuries old, while the swamp portal is believed to be relatively new (I seem to recall), so it could be that simple.
Post by SYED   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:49 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

I wonder if the portals that were recently crteated will lead to the newer portals still. They might see the edge of the expansion and be there to see a portal form.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:24 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:I wonder if the portals that were recently crteated will lead to the newer portals still. They might see the edge of the expansion and be there to see a portal form.

That would be fun wouldn't it...although I'd rather observe at a safe distance...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by bkwormlisa   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:53 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

SYED wrote:I wonder if the portals that were recently crteated will lead to the newer portals still. They might see the edge of the expansion and be there to see a portal form.

It would be neat, but I'm not sure that would work. The Hell's Gate cluster is probably only a few years old, if that. The Sharona portal is eight decades old. In between them (close to Hell's Gate) are portals that are several centuries old, at least. Unless said portals are the oldest in existence and have been forming in both directions - the first part of which really which doesn't seem likely to me, and there also seem to be a lot more between them and Sharona than them and Hell's Gate, not evening counting the Arcanan side of the Hell's Gate cluster - I suspect that new portals can form near portals of any age. They might be more likely to form near newer portals (didn't one side or the other comment on how more connections might be formed because the Hell's Gate area seemed very active?), but I don't think it's likely they form only in a straight line, older to newer.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:45 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I'm wondering if universes can drift apart, closing the portal between them...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Astelon   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Astelon
Commander

We don't currently have any information why portals form, and we don't know what would cause one to close. We also don't have any evidence of a portal closing within the stories. Speculation based on interviews the author has given is that there is another race forming (and potentially able to close) portals as they desire.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:14 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Astelon wrote:We don't currently have any information why portals form, and we don't know what would cause one to close. We also don't have any evidence of a portal closing within the stories. Speculation based on interviews the author has given is that there is another race forming (and potentially able to close) portals as they desire.

A portal that closed could be an unpleasant experience for anyone stuck on the wrong side...

Don
Post by Astelon   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Astelon
Commander

Yes very unpleasant. If you had enough people, male and female, you could start a new civilization. At least you would mostly know what is and is not edible.

However just having a portal form could be "unpleasant" for anyone nearby. The differing air pressure, weather, climates, and maybe even rivers flowing through could all be extremely dangerous.

Return to Multiverse