Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Artillery Effectiveness?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Artillery Effectiveness?
Post by saintonge   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:13 am

saintonge
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Castenea wrote:BR, your question about targeting of Sharonian guns does bring up an interesting point. I remember no text ev that either side has telescopes or that Sharona in particular has optical range finders. I think that Arcana has spellware that can work as optical range finders, but am uncertain if it would work through a portal. Sharonian talents cannot penetrate a portal, and are degraded by proximity to the portals.

Very minor snerk:

SPACE

it is mentioned in The Road to Hell that Sharona has binoculars and telescopic rifles sights. Don't know about range finders, but the idea is rather obvious.
Re: Artillery Effectiveness?
Post by Castenea   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

I wrote that before Road to Hell was in publication ;)

I will simply remind that I found it interesting that there was no mention of any telescopes in either Hells Gate or Hell Hath no Fury. As for the building of range finders, the required tech is there, but there may be reasons why it has not been developed (talents sufficed for long range gunnery). For our world range finders were really developed in the late 1800s early 1900s for use with Naval guns. Guns for which range finding was needed were not developed until after 1875. You could have seen range finders easily as early as 1500 but those would be one off master works.

Return to Multiverse