Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoiler)

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Will talents switch???
Post by Knightfire   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Knightfire
Ensign

Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:05 pm

We know there is a large population of Arcanians who have no talent. Similarly there is a large population of Sharonians without a gift. Could it be possible that the Arcanians without talent would have gifts on Sharona and the Sharonians without a gift on Sharona would have a talent on Arcana? Each population that lacks a gift or a talent would be because there genetic gift/talent does not fit the universe they are in.
Top
Re: Will talents switch???
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Maybe.
That could eventually lead to lots of cross-migration,
as the Talentless in one Universe try out the other.
But that would defy Xenophobia.

Of course, another possibility is that Talent in one
place means Talent everywhere (or everywhere that a
Universe's Laws permit it).

HTM

Knightfire wrote:We know there is a large population of Arcanians who have no talent. Similarly there is a large population of Sharonians without a gift. Could it be possible that the Arcanians without talent would have gifts on Sharona and the Sharonians without a gift on Sharona would have a talent on Arcana? Each population that lacks a gift or a talent would be because there genetic gift/talent does not fit the universe they are in.
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by Astelon   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Astelon
Commander

Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 pm

n7axw wrote:The implications would favor Sharona pretty heavily. They would lose their Talents on Arcana. But that would primarily effect communications. Sharona's rifles, artillery and transportation should be just fine, whereas the same cannot be said of Arcana on Sharona.


If sharonian weapons and trains work in arcanan physics, then the arcanans can figure out how to duplicate them, while Sharona will not likely be able to produce dragons (or any other magical creature or weapon).
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:10 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5100
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Astelon wrote:
n7axw wrote:The implications would favor Sharona pretty heavily. They would lose their Talents on Arcana. But that would primarily effect communications. Sharona's rifles, artillery and transportation should be just fine, whereas the same cannot be said of Arcana on Sharona.


If sharonian weapons and trains work in arcanan physics, then the arcanans can figure out how to duplicate them, while Sharona will not likely be able to produce dragons (or any other magical creature or weapon).


Yeah, that would be true with the qualification that in a war it might require time they don't have. Their entire infrastructure seems to be geared around magic. In addition to that, they would have to figure out conventional physics and chemistry. The problem is that they have been using magic spells for almost everything. To dup Sharona's weapons, they can't do that. All of this is solvable, but can't be done over night.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by Astelon   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Astelon
Commander

Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 pm

n7axw wrote:The problem is that they have been using magic spells for almost everything. To dup Sharona's weapons, they can't do that. All of this is solvable, but can't be done over night.


I mostly agree with you, but they don't need to duplicate the manufacturing process to build the weapons. They can use whatever magic they want, or already use for manufacturing, to build them. The greatest problem they will have is figuring out the chemistry for gunpowder. Their is also a question of how much steel they can make, we have not seen any large scale use of steel by Arcana yet.
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5100
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Astelon wrote:
n7axw wrote:The problem is that they have been using magic spells for almost everything. To dup Sharona's weapons, they can't do that. All of this is solvable, but can't be done over night.


I mostly agree with you, but they don't need to duplicate the manufacturing process to build the weapons. They can use whatever magic they want, or already use for manufacturing, to build them. The greatest problem they will have is figuring out the chemistry for gunpowder. Their is also a question of how much steel they can make, we have not seen any large scale use of steel by Arcana yet.


Your modification of my thought is right, I think. Also, their magic weapons should work just fine...on Arcana. If they ate on Sharona that they would have the problem with magic.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Dismissing magic to easy
Post by Knightfire   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Knightfire
Ensign

Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:05 pm

There was a discussion that in doing Magic to make Dragons and other improvements, they were able to actually see the dna codes. If Magic is able to do that you would think it could be used to determine the chemical elements of gunpowder and duplicate it. Moreover, it might even be able to tell by looking at Sharonian steel why its better then Arcanan steel.
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by Astelon   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Astelon
Commander

Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 pm

I checked the passage in question, and what they have is "...a way to represent a living organism's characteristics in a fashion which could be visualized and manipulated..." Not sure how much difference it will make when examining the atomic structure of steel or gunpowder; it might require a completely separate (and undeveloped) set of spells, or it might not.

However just seeing the atomic structure of an object doesn't tell someone how to duplicate it, or to duplicate it efficiently.
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by Knightfire   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Knightfire
Ensign

Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:05 pm

The other advantage I think people are discounting for Arcana is they effectively have magic computers. The language program, the portal finding program, the way they can record and pass on information is vastly superior to Sharona. Sharona might be able to pass information faster because of the voice network but I think the data manipulation abilities of Arcana is far superior and should provide advantages.
Top
Re: Is Ft. Salby Arcanan high water mark? (potentially spoil
Post by n7axw   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:32 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5100
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Knightfire wrote:The other advantage I think people are discounting for Arcana is they effectively have magic computers. The language program, the portal finding program, the way they can record and pass on information is vastly superior to Sharona. Sharona might be able to pass information faster because of the voice network but I think the data manipulation abilities of Arcana is far superior and should provide advantages.


I thought of that too. The word play kinda gives it away... For PC we get personal crystal rather than personal computer. I don't recall any instances of connectivity between crystals. I could have overlooked it though.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top

Return to Multiverse