Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Why did Chava agree to the treaty?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Why did Chava agree to the treaty?
Post by cralkhi   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:11 pm

cralkhi
Captain of the List

I don't get it. If Chava is only interested in his own power, it seems to me that staying independent (the other nations couldn't afford to fight a war with Uromathia too) would be better than putting himself under Ternathian authority, even with a favorable political marriage for his heir.

Even if the Arcanans got to Sharona, he could probably make a deal/ally with them then.
Re: Why did Chava agree to the treaty?
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:30 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

cralkhi wrote:I don't get it. If Chava is only interested in his own power, it seems to me that staying independent (the other nations couldn't afford to fight a war with Uromathia too) would be better than putting himself under Ternathian authority, even with a favorable political marriage for his heir.

Even if the Arcanans got to Sharona, he could probably make a deal/ally with them then.

Chava Busar doesn't live in a vacuum. He knows - he has to know - that public opinion even in Uromathia is strong in favor of the unification. Maybe with some reservations, because it is Ternathia which will dominate the unified empire, but nonetheless. He would risk a civil war, should the majority of the Uromathians get the impression that he does not negotiate honestly. They sure as hell are in favor for the best possible conditions they can get, but they also don't want to be excluded and regarded as parias by the rest of Sharona.

So, the best remaining game in town, as far as Chava is concerned, is to make sure that his grandchild will rule Sharona ... only that that will not happen (because of Darcel Kinlafia's brainstorm - or so I hope, at least)
Re: Why did Chava agree to the treaty?
Post by Astelon   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Astelon
Commander

Chava wasn't simply trying to secure a position for his dynasty, he planned to have the emperor and others (anyone necessary) assassinated. Chava planned to control the heir and, through him or her, the entire planet. His plans continue in an even better position (or so he thinks).

Return to Multiverse