Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

The Calirath Talent-Spoilers

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: The Calirath Talent-Spoilers
Post by brnicholas   » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:27 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

It's your world so everything you say about it must be true and this makes perfect sense to me.

Still, it simply begs the question about the limits of the Calirath Talent. In another thread people were speculating that the reason for the Calirath decision to shrink the Terenthian Empire was that they had seen that if they did so in two centuries their ancestors would get to rule the world. That speculation seems to me to require more long range precision in seeing the future then the books have shown us but if that speculation is correct it is also possible that in all prior cases the Calirath Emperors saw that they could solve the problem without creating more active Calirath talents. If in this case they see that making the Calirath Talent more broadly available is necessary to save their people they could be expected to do it (assuming of course that it is possible).

Nicholas

runsforcelery wrote:Reflect.

If you are a dynasty which has ruled for thousands of years without making the Calirath Talent more broadly available (assuming that is possible), why might that be? Has there never been a time in Sharonian history when having perhaps a couple of dozen potential Glimpse sources organized and ready might have granted a critical advantage to the Winged Crown? I would submit that it's a statistical certainty that such moments have arisen, yet it's never been done.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, might there have been a reason for that [he wondered inoccently]? :roll: :twisted:

Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:53 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Actually, there were times when not having additional Caliraths almost certainly prevented them from solving a problem. Indeed, sometimes it led to the death of the current emperor/ess and/or other members of the imperial family. Nonetheless, the Caliraths have never opted for making their Talent generally available or even activating the Talents of all the potential members of the Calirath family.

brnicholas wrote:It's your world so everything you say about it must be true and this makes perfect sense to me.

Still, it simply begs the question about the limits of the Calirath Talent. In another thread people were speculating that the reason for the Calirath decision to shrink the Terenthian Empire was that they had seen that if they did so in two centuries their ancestors would get to rule the world. That speculation seems to me to require more long range precision in seeing the future then the books have shown us but if that speculation is correct it is also possible that in all prior cases the Calirath Emperors saw that they could solve the problem without creating more active Calirath talents. If in this case they see that making the Calirath Talent more broadly available is necessary to save their people they could be expected to do it (assuming of course that it is possible).

Nicholas

runsforcelery wrote:Reflect.

If you are a dynasty which has ruled for thousands of years without making the Calirath Talent more broadly available (assuming that is possible), why might that be? Has there never been a time in Sharonian history when having perhaps a couple of dozen potential Glimpse sources organized and ready might have granted a critical advantage to the Winged Crown? I would submit that it's a statistical certainty that such moments have arisen, yet it's never been done.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, might there have been a reason for that [he wondered inoccently]? :roll: :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Astelon   » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Astelon
Commander

I am certain that preocognitive generals, aids to high ranking officers, admirals, ambassadors, and even territory governors would have solved all sorts of problems for the empire. As long as those individuals stayed loyal to the crown they would have benefited the empire greatly, if they begin working for themselves they become a big problem for the empire. I subscribe purely human motives to the limited number of activated Calirath talents, limit those with the talent and limit those problems.
Post by brnicholas   » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:31 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

Are you saying that if Zindal chan Calirath knew (from his glimpses) that only more active Calirath talents could prevent Sharona from losing the war with Arcana and that as a result of that defeat the surviving Sharonas would live in poverty and misery for centuries he would still refuse to activate more Calirath talents?

Nicholas

runsforcelery wrote:Actually, there were times when not having additional Caliraths almost certainly prevented them from solving a problem. Indeed, sometimes it led to the death of the current emperor/ess and/or other members of the imperial family. Nonetheless, the Caliraths have never opted for making their Talent generally available or even activating the Talents of all the potential members of the Calirath family.

brnicholas wrote:It's your world so everything you say about it must be true and this makes perfect sense to me.

Nicholas

Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:27 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

And the last time I told you ahead of time that a character would (or wouldn't) do something which might prove critical to the plot was . . . ? :roll: :twisted: :lol:

brnicholas wrote:Are you saying that if Zindal chan Calirath knew (from his glimpses) that only more active Calirath talents could prevent Sharona from losing the war with Arcana and that as a result of that defeat the surviving Sharonas would live in poverty and misery for centuries he would still refuse to activate more Calirath talents?

Nicholas

runsforcelery wrote:Actually, there were times when not having additional Caliraths almost certainly prevented them from solving a problem. Indeed, sometimes it led to the death of the current emperor/ess and/or other members of the imperial family. Nonetheless, the Caliraths have never opted for making their Talent generally available or even activating the Talents of all the potential members of the Calirath family.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:And the last time I told you ahead of time that a character would (or wouldn't) do something which might prove critical to the plot was . . . ? :roll: :twisted: :lol:

*... skims furiously through all the old forum posts...
*... uses CO2 fire-extinguisher to cool down overheating computer...
*... uses multiple hyper-caffinated drinks to achieve Caffeine Bullet Time...
*... reaches end of posts...
*Collapses having failed to find a single post by RFC that specifically and unambiguously states that a named character will (or will not) undertake a specified action for an upcoming book.
Of course, the number of actual misdirections, Exact Word statements, deceptive truths and extremely vague hints thrown out is quite incredible...
And there are enough Tum Te Tum's to perform the Imperial March with...
:lol:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by akira.taylor   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:14 pm

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

[quote="runsforcelery"]Reflect.

Of course not. It is just a random chance. Very unlikely events happen all the time. ^_^
Post by brnicholas   » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:53 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thank you! I find this a much more satisfying answer then the last one.

Nicholas

Edited to add:
PS - After posting this I realized that it could be interpreted as sarcastic. This is not sarcasm but a factual statement of my reaction. I am much more satisfied with a flat refusal to answer then with an answer that either because I didn't ask the question sufficiently clearly or by choice evades the core of my question. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me RFC!

runsforcelery wrote:And the last time I told you ahead of time that a character would (or wouldn't) do something which might prove critical to the plot was . . . ? :roll: :twisted: :lol:

brnicholas wrote:Are you saying that if Zindal chan Calirath knew (from his glimpses) that only more active Calirath talents could prevent Sharona from losing the war with Arcana and that as a result of that defeat the surviving Sharonas would live in poverty and misery for centuries he would still refuse to activate more Calirath talents?

Nicholas

Post by Mil-tech bard   » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:12 am

Mil-tech bard
Captain (Junior Grade)

Alright, The Calirath Imperial house has three activated Calirath talents to support the empire.

For RFC to be revealed reasons, this is likely the maximum number of activated Calirath talents to support the house

1. The current emperor in this case Zindel chan Calirath.

2. Heir-Primus -- the now deceased Crown Prince Janaki chan Calirath.

3. Heir-Secondary -- Adrian Calirath, now grand imperial princess and current Heir-Primus.

With the death of Heir Secondary, we can expect another of the Calirath line to be "activated" as Heir-Secondary.

How much of that is "on-screen" in the next book remains to be seen, but we can now expect the middle daughter, Razial, to go through the Calirath Talent activation protocol.

Razial is only 15 years old to Adrian's 17, and is a 1st rate poet to boot.

Predictive Calirath Illiad class epic poems for the war with Arcania, anyone?
Post by tinfoil   » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:28 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The Calirath talented are actually Sith, with a spare...

Return to Multiverse