Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Is there a Map yet?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Is there a Map yet?
Post by ericth   » Wed May 27, 2015 4:00 pm

ericth
Commander

I'm rereading the Hell's Gate books and am always faced with the choice of ignoring/skimming any geographical reference or trying to look it up.

I know barflies such as Howard have compiled lists of places, but has anyone ever annotated a map with them yet?

It detracts from the enjoyment of the books when too many sentences end up something like "and the forests of <blah blah>" or "the Arpathian city of <blah blah> in eastern <blah blah>"
Re: Is there a Map yet?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed May 27, 2015 4:13 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Too bad someone couldn't put together maps of various critical points, such as gate locations. I would pay for that even if it were on sale on this website only. Heck, take a page out of that full on Red Bear commie Eric Flint's book and serialize such releases. Buy a subscription or buy them separately. I am game for either.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I believe that part of the difficulty is that Himself hasn't
ever really settled many of the correspondences. Also, a couple of the printed descriptions, going by the discussion we had when HG came out, had directions inverted, and I'm not sure he got around to sorting those questions out either. He implied at the time that some of his own mappings are quite detailed and others aren't - as always, he went as far as needed to tell the story.

That suggests that we won't get better maps until he's sure that pinning things down won't put a crimp in his plans down the road.

PeterZ wrote:Too bad someone couldn't put together maps of various critical points, such as gate locations. I would pay for that even if it were on sale on this website only. Heck, take a page out of that full on Red Bear commie Eric Flint's book and serialize such releases. Buy a subscription or buy them separately. I am game for either.
Post by DanNeely   » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:39 pm

DanNeely
Ensign

I did a pair of maps years back during my 2nd read through of the first two books (because I lost track of where things were the first time around).

There's also Howard's collection of place names which is more detailed than my maps. If I don't get some confirmation about official maps coming out at honorcon next week, I'll probably update my maps in the near future; since I want to do a rereading of the first two books before the eARC comes out (probably sometime next month).

As an advanced warning, my maps are ~6000x4000 pixels in size; so you'll probably need to pan and zoom across them.

http://orthogonaltonormal.com/midden/Arcana.png
http://orthogonaltonormal.com/midden/Sharona.png

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1446

Return to Multiverse