Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculation

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculation
Post by Tim   » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Tim
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm

In the Honor section of this forum is a new interview with David Weber. At the end of the interview he provided some really interesting information about the Multiverse.

Here is the address. http://youtu.be/jCueWzQCMHk

Let the frothing and speculating begin. :)
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:28 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 pm

This starts at 1.54.56 and I agree that it is very interesting stuff though DW hedged massively about actually us seeing it as the current goal of the series is to do the originally planned 4 books involving Sharona and Arcana (not clear if this means 2 or 3 more as I also had the impression that he conflated books 1/2 together) with the rest being of the "if we get there" variety
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Some kind of a Transcript would be nice.
Some of us have visual equipment only.

HTM

Tim wrote:In the Honor section of this forum is a new interview with David Weber. At the end of the interview he provided some really interesting information about the Multiverse.

Here is the address. http://youtu.be/jCueWzQCMHk

Let the frothing and speculating begin. :)
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:49 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Sharona - Newtonian physics, infinite speed limit, aether
Arcana - no laws of physics but real magic
In-between universes waiting for sentience occupation to decide - eg more Sharonians settling an universe, more like Newtonian physics there, more Arcanans, more like magic

as Road to hell seems to be the next book on DW's schedule after HFQ, I assume a fast publication sometime next year and after that 2 more books that finalize the current conflict and leave the series at a good point

If possible (time/sales I guess), the continuation some 90 years later (per Krakatoa explosion hints from volume 1) when Arcanan dragons erupt in Georgia of our universe and time and even later when a 4th non-human player responsible for the Multiverse appears

That's the rough outline of the Multiverse part from the interview end
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you ever so much!
:)
Perhaps it is that Newtonian Physics and infinite
speed limit, that allows Flicking, and all TP-ing,
to take place. Perhaps it is what allows Telepathy
and its variations, too. :D

HTM

cnrd22 wrote:Sharona - Newtonian physics, infinite speed limit, aether
Arcana - no laws of physics but real magic
In-between universes waiting for sentience occupation to decide - eg more Sharonians settling an universe, more like Newtonian physics there, more Arcanans, more like magic

as Road to hell seems to be the next book on DW's schedule after HFQ, I assume a fast publication sometime next year and after that 2 more books that finalize the current conflict and leave the series at a good point

If possible (time/sales I guess), the continuation some 90 years later (per Krakatoa explosion hints from volume 1) when Arcanan dragons erupt in Georgia of our universe and time and even later when a 4th non-human player responsible for the Multiverse appears

That's the rough outline of the Multiverse part from the interview end
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by goglen   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:20 pm

goglen
Ensign

Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Tim wrote:Let the frothing and speculating begin. :)


Each side's "power" (magic vs 6th sense / teleportation) seems to decrease the farther/longer from your home universe.

However, the Sharonians do not RELY only on their gift... they push science. They're experimenting with combustion engines and even aircraft.

Science (physics) may not be "lost" when far from your home universe.
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

goglen wrote:
Tim wrote:Let the frothing and speculating begin. :)


Each side's "power" (magic vs 6th sense / teleportation) seems to decrease the farther/longer from your home universe.

However, the Sharonians do not RELY only on their gift... they push science. They're experimenting with combustion engines and even aircraft.

Science (physics) may not be "lost" when far from your home universe.


Excellent point, Goglen! Another way to look at it is the Arcanan gift of magic defines how they manipulate the universe around them. Sharonan talents do not. Instead they connect humanity in more powerful ways. Technology is available to both sides but truly additive to only one side, Sharona.

I doubt that science will be lost. Science tries to describe the fundemental rules of the universe and technology is physically applying those rules. Magic is the manipulation of those rules with mental talents.
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:53 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

We will see if Science is affected, when the Arcanans
test the captured Sharonan machines on New Arcana.

HTM

PeterZ wrote:
goglen wrote:
Each side's "power" (magic vs 6th sense / teleportation) seems to decrease the farther/longer from your home universe.

However, the Sharonians do not RELY only on their gift... they push science. They're experimenting with combustion engines and even aircraft.

Science (physics) may not be "lost" when far from your home universe.


Excellent point, Goglen! Another way to look at it is the Arcanan gift of magic defines how they manipulate the universe around them. Sharonan talents do not. Instead they connect humanity in more powerful ways. Technology is available to both sides but truly additive to only one side, Sharona.

I doubt that science will be lost. Science tries to describe the fundemental rules of the universe and technology is physically applying those rules. Magic is the manipulation of those rules with mental talents.
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6253
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Yes we will. I suspect that magic is additive the physics we understand. That is everything we understand about physcis is still true but with another element that allows the mind/soul to directly alter those laws.

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:We will see if Science is affected, when the Arcanans
test the captured Sharonan machines on New Arcana.

HTM

PeterZ wrote:Excellent point, Goglen! Another way to look at it is the Arcanan gift of magic defines how they manipulate the universe around them. Sharonan talents do not. Instead they connect humanity in more powerful ways. Technology is available to both sides but truly additive to only one side, Sharona.

I doubt that science will be lost. Science tries to describe the fundemental rules of the universe and technology is physically applying those rules. Magic is the manipulation of those rules with mental talents.
Top
Re: Surprised this place is not frothing with wild speculati
Post by bkwormlisa   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 am

bkwormlisa
Commander

Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:43 pm

PeterZ wrote:Yes we will. I suspect that magic is additive the physics we understand. That is everything we understand about physcis is still true but with another element that allows the mind/soul to directly alter those laws.

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:We will see if Science is affected, when the Arcanans
test the captured Sharonan machines on New Arcana.

HTM

Actually, the science does change. In the interview, DW said that in Arcana, magic works but "physics hardly works at all". And vice versa in Sharona. I'd guess that really means that the laws of physics work differently, since there do have to be some kind of laws explaining how things work. So Sharonaian guns probably won't work in Arcana. I wonder how they'll explain that?

BTW, he says Sharonian physics is Newtonian physics, complete with a speed of light that's instantaneous. Our gross tech would probably work there, but electronics might be different, and if we ever succeed at quantum computing it almost certainly wouldn't work. GPS relies on Einsteinium physics, so it's probably out too. I wonder what else?

He also said that the Arcanans are the first to figure out that the people inhabiting a universe can tilt the laws of that universe to the way they believe it will work. I'd been assuming it just changed slightly at each portal and it was fixed, but apparently not. I wonder how long it takes to start affecting it, and how they'll put that into play? But it makes it darn hard to conquer a heavily populated universe inhabited by the other side.

That may be how the war ends, at a stalemate due to the change in physics meaning neither side's stuff works to continue fighting. But then there's the problem that the Arcanans could learn to use Sharonian tech, while the opposite just isn't true. Not sure how helpful that would be, since they couldn't build it in a universe that was heavily inhabited by their own people.
Top

Return to Multiverse