Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Sharonian Aircraft?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Sharonian Aircraft?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:06 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Mil-tech bard wrote:People here are having some real order of magnitude error issues concerning Sharona's railway logistics.

snip

The Soviet Union's population was 196,716,000 in June 1941.

Sharona's population is 10 billion.

The Sharonans will cover a 1,000km distance in 100 to 150 days. That is three to five months. _Per workforce of 10,000 workers_

The mass that even a Sharonan single track railway delivers is a large multiple of what an Arcanian "Mage-way" can deliver.

Exactly how many of these 10K railway building units do you think the Sharonans can field given a 10 billion person population and a huge Multiverse spanning railway NGO corporation to pull railway experts from?

Don't know how many are possible. I would suggest that the number will depend on how much industrial production will be geared to producing war material. I doubt that devoting manpower to building unnecessary rail capacity is a mistake Sharonans will make. I can envision one or two such teams working to extend the lines forward and another one or two teams expanding capacity from Sharona.

Arcana will redeploy their transport dragons to support the front. I doubt there will be enough dragons and slider transport in place to stop the Sharonans before Hell's Gate. How quickly Sharona reaches Hell's Gate is a good question. My WAG is inside a year and a half or two books if there are no skips in time.
Railroads re: Sharonian Aircraft?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Thank you for these numbers, Mil-tech bard!

I numbered some of your points for ease in reply.

1 Where are you? You can use the
Profile-update page to list your location.

2 Both the Union and the Soviets were working near
farmers, who might have food to provide them.
They were also going through regions which had tools,
and many other supplies, possibly availible to them.
Of course they always knew where they were,
and what was near them.

4 The Sharonans are running their RRs through wilderness.
All their supplies, they must bring from Homeworld,
or at least a more inner Outworld, over those RRs.
This must slow them down "somewhat."

3 We are shown approximately how fast TTE constructs:
At the beginning of the story, the railhead has not yet
reached Fort Salby, and the bridge over the Strait of
Tears (Bab el Mandeb) is maybe-a-quarter-finished.

Book 2 (HHNF) begins with Darcel riding a train
through Traisum Cut to Salby, where he finds a Uromath
cavalry brigade which arrived by RR over Tears Bridges.
Perhaps six-eight weeks have passed.

By the end of HHNF:
3.1 The first Hummer-message has just reached New Arcana
3.2 Darcel has reached Tajvana, Sharona, via Larakesh
3.3 Div-Cap chan Geraith is 2 days from Salby
Anndddd ...............
3.4 The TTE Railhead is 200 miles from Ft. Mosanik,
which is more than 800 miles past Salby "as the crow
flies" not counting necessary detours.
Please note: miles, not kilometers.
EDIT: oh yes, and the TTE has 2,000 in that workforce.
(Their safety is exchanged for release of 300 POWs.)

Total time of both books: perhaps 3 months, more or less.
TTE seems to be track-laying a bit, but not much,
faster than the estimate here.
Which is veryclose indeed for a guess about DW's numbers!
Well Done, Mil-tech Bard!

Howard True Map-addict

Mil-tech bard wrote:1 People here
are having some real order of magnitude error issues concerning Sharona's railway logistics.

The American Civil War Union Army railroad construction force consisted of roughly 10,000, usually railway engineers plus whatever troops were on hand at the moment not needed for combat and garrison duty,
and as many of the local able-bodied black population who they paid or were willing to work for food. The skill set of any given Union volunteer regiment was astonishing.

They could repair or rebuild railways and bridges very quickly, with
1) A railway rebuild rate of around 7-10km a day,
2) A railway repair rate of 25km a day and,
3) A gauge change rate of 30km a day.

2 By way of comparison, the labor forces of the Union
and Central Pacifics engaged in building the first
trans-continental railroad, which was about 10,000 men.
It takes a population of about 100,000
to support 10,000 men in such an effort.

The 1862-1865 Union Army was backed up by a civilian agricultural and industrial population of 22-25 million people.

An idea of what a partially mobilized circa 1900 technology Sharonan military-railway organization could do comes from the Armchair General web site below:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... p?t=133563.

"A short description of Soviet logistical methods is that they depended entirely on railways for strategic movement up to the frontline. In order to achieve this the NKPS (Soviet State Railways) was fully integrated into the RKKA Rear Services Command and was under command of their VOSO Military Transport Directorate. The Railway Brigades were from 1943 under the NKPS to provide light engineering support while heavy engineering was provided by UVVR Groups of the GUVVR Directorate of the NKPS. Command ran through the military command structure while the civilian NKPS provided the railwaymen and materials. The RKKA Railway Brigades numbered around 30 and 250,000 men towards the end of the war and a similar number were in the Highway Construction Battalions.

To give you an idea of the size of this operation, the NKPS numbered around 2,500,000 men in peacetime and 4,000,000 during the war.

2 They achieved what the Union troops achieved during
the American Civil War, that they could repair or rebuild railways and bridges at a fantastic rate (even when they had been mined to prevent their rebuilding) with a rebuilding rate of around 7-10km, repairs at 25km and gauge change of 30km a day. Given that Combined Arms armies advanced at an average rate of 25km per day, the railways were mostly not far behind them. Of course Tank Armies advanced at 70km per day and so far outstripped the railways but then came to a halt on their objective and waited for the main force to catch up. They matched the Union troops claim that "They can rebuild bridges faster than the Rebs can burn them down." so although the Germans destroyed often 100% of the railways, they were back up and running in a matter of weeks. There are lots of examples in the Armchair General thread which go into the details."

The Soviet Union's population was 196,716,000 in June 1941.

Sharona's population is 10 billion.

3 The Sharonans will cover a 1,000km distance in
100 to 150 days. That is three to five months.
_Per workforce of 10,000 workers_

The mass that even a Sharonan single track railway
delivers is a large multiple of what an Arcanian
"Mage-way" can deliver.

4 Exactly how many of these 10K railway building units
do you think the Sharonans can field given a 10 billion person population and a huge Multiverse spanning railway NGO corporation to pull railway experts from?
Railroads re: Sharonian Aircraft?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

I guess that Sharona will need more RR capacity than
Peter guesses. Double-, even quadruple-tracked RRs!
Several in each Universe, lest one meet misfortunes.

I also guess more workcrews.
Of course, I am figuring 2000 not 10,000 per crew,
which allows for more crews.
I figure one crew building a double-tracked RR,
another behind it in the same Uni 4-tracking it,
and one or two more in each Uni going back to Sharona,
building the important alternate and side RRs.
Note that to properly use an Outworld,
RRs are needed over much of it!

As for number of books, consider that these books have
*not* sold as well as Honorverse or Safehold. :shock:
For whatever strange reason, Multiverse is not as
popular, despite being more interesting. :( :?: :|
So Weber&Presby have cause to finish the whole series
in the next book. We will be lucky if there are 2 more.

HTM

[quote="PeterZ"]

Don't know how many [TTE workforces] are possible.
I would suggest that the number will depend on how
much industrial production will be geared to producing
war material. I doubt that devoting manpower to
building unnecessary rail capacity is a mistake
Sharonans will make. I can envision one or two such
teams working to extend the lines forward and another
one or two teams expanding capacity from Sharona.

Arcana will redeploy their transport dragons to support the front. I doubt there will be enough dragons and slider transport in place to stop the Sharonans before Hell's Gate. How quickly Sharona reaches Hell's Gate is a good question. My WAG is inside a year and a half or two books if there are no skips in time.
[/quote=PeterZ]
Post by tonyz   » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:41 pm

tonyz
Lieutenant Commander

Coal, in particular, is goingto be a problem -- the railroads need fuel to keep running, which means that as they push forward more effort must go into either building side railroads to coalfields or shipping coal forward.

Fundamental tyranny of logistics: as you push forward more and more of the capacity of any logistics line must be used to keep the line itself operational. Coal for locomotives. Food for people. Spare parts for machines. More food and fuel and parts for the people and machines involved in moving the extra food and fuel and parts forward. Any, repeat any, new construction or military operations can only be done with capacity left over after the line sustains itself.

Logistics is like a constantly narrowing funnel. Now matter how much you pour in at the top, only a certain amount will come out the bottom -- at some point you have to build a bigger funnel. Or more funnels. A double-track line can ship a lot, enough to take care of an army group more or less, so for Sharona the big problem will probably be transshipment across the water gaps. No sign they've invented the modern shipping container yet...

Arcana may actually have a logistics advantage at some point, since so much of their capacity is self-transporting and self-feeding (though they're going to run into Issues at some point if they have to stay in one place -- dragons and griffons eat a lot of stuff.).
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

tonyz wrote:Coal, in particular, is goingto be a problem -- the railroads need fuel to keep running, which means that as they push forward more effort must go into either building side railroads to coalfields or shipping coal forward.

I was thinking along these lines in my original post, TonyZ. How much industrial support for the war is going to come from Sharona and how much will be developed in the universes closer to the front?

I can see trying to develop coal and iron deposits in universes that lie on the front side of any breaks in the rail line caused by large waterways. I suppose that food production would also be moved closer to the front and oil development as well.

The best mix for developing those forward resources and building rail lines have to be achieved. Not quite sure what the labor investment required would be to develop those resources, but at one point that amount is smaller than it would be to expand rail capacity.
Post by Castenea   » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 am

Castenea
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:
tonyz wrote:Coal, in particular, is goingto be a problem -- the railroads need fuel to keep running, which means that as they push forward more effort must go into either building side railroads to coalfields or shipping coal forward.

I was thinking along these lines in my original post, TonyZ. How much industrial support for the war is going to come from Sharona and how much will be developed in the universes closer to the front?

I can see trying to develop coal and iron deposits in universes that lie on the front side of any breaks in the rail line caused by large waterways. I suppose that food production would also be moved closer to the front and oil development as well.

The best mix for developing those forward resources and building rail lines have to be achieved. Not quite sure what the labor investment required would be to develop those resources, but at one point that amount is smaller than it would be to expand rail capacity.

Up to now, there would have been more or less organic growth of farming communities around every place the trains needed to stop and take on fuel and water. These communities would have produced at a minimum garden crops to provide the maintenance crews with fresh veggies. It is quite likely that once they passed a certain size they shipped grain, fuel (mostly wood) and fodder to larger town back on the line.

I will also note that the US army had a brigade in France in WWI whose sole duty was to provide timber products to the rest of the army.
Post by Mil-tech bard   » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Mil-tech bard
Captain (Junior Grade)

See the photos at the link below the following text:

COAL AND WOOD BURNING VEHICLES OF WWII

Due to severe shortages of gasoline, many civilian vehicles in Europe and Japan were converted to operate on gases generated from coal or wood. The gases would be condensed to liquid form and fed to the carburetor. The condensed liquid hydrocarbons would form a fuel of relatively high volatility that would be sufficient to operate the gasoline engine.

http://www.robertsarmory.com/gas.htm
Post by Mil-tech bard   » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Mil-tech bard
Captain (Junior Grade)

Then there is also the possibility of charcoal as a fuel for Sharonan vehicles. See this for how Filipinos survived the Japanese occupation of Manila:

http://jimayson.wordpress.com/2008/09/2 ... re-smokin/

My dad told me that when gasoline was in short supply during the Japanese Occupation of the Philippines in World War II, a lot of cars and buses were converted to running charcoal.

It’s difficult to find mention of this historical episode on the web, but I did run across this passage by Larry Henares (father of Atom, Juno, and Rosanna – and grandfather of Quark) posted on the Plaridel mailing list last March 27, 2008. Larry was reminiscing about the origins of the Jeepney, but he did throw in an item about the use of charcoal-powered engines during World War 2:

Larry Henares here. I am 84 years old, I was there. Before the war, we had the “Jitney” manufactured by Austin, a British firm. Jitney is a real English word, “a conveyance, especially an automobile, in which passengers are carried for a small fare.” It was re-built to accommodate 4 to 6 passengers, and was also called the “autobus,” as distinguished from the “bus.” An Ilonggo ditty went:

Inday upud ka, ilis bayo mo, Sakay sa autobus, I love you.

It did not survive during the Japanese occupation because
alcohol and gasoline were commandeered by the Japs, and the jitney could not accommodate the Gas Generator installed at the back of the car for use in generating power with the use of coconut charcoal. This was an invention of my father which he called IPOPI Charcomobile. It consisted of a furnace which burns charcoal in a limited supply of air to generate, not carbon dioxide, but carbon monoxide which is inflammable, and is filtered and directed to the carburetor and used to provide fuel to the car. It saved Manila from starvation. IPOPI stood for Industrial Products of the Philippines Incorporated — but people joked that IPOPI really stood for Itulak Para Omandar Pag
Last edited by Mil-tech bard on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post by Mil-tech bard   » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Mil-tech bard
Captain (Junior Grade)

Then there are the wood burning trucks of North Korea:

http://grist.org/list/2011-07-18-north- ... ng-trucks/

North Korea runs on wood-burning trucks
By Christopher Mims

If you've ever wondered what we'll do after we've run out of cheap oil, other than eat each other, you have only to look to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, a.k.a. North Korea. Ever since the shipments of crude from the USSR and China dried up, they've had to improvise.

So Dear Leader has once again demonstrated his Everlasting Beneficence and Ingenuity, pioneering the use of trucks that run on firewood and/or coal. Nowadays, if you see a truck, especially in a rural area, it’s probably running on “wood gas.” That’s carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas, produced by burning coal or wood in a low-oxygen environment — the resulting gas can be pumped into a diesel engine and in that form is a replacement for liquid fuels. Here are a bunch of images of these wacky, steam punk-ish vehicles. And a video.

The use of wood gas to run engines was invented in 1839 and it was quite popular during the fuel shortages of WWII. Near the end, the Germans had half a million vehicles running on wood gas.

But you don’t always want to follow the lead of Nazi Germany, you know? Wood gas is pretty terrible for air quality, and it involves coal or biomass, which is pretty much always bad for the climate.

Christopher Mims's dystopian non-fiction is sought after by an ever-growing roster of publications.
Post by Mil-tech bard   » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Mil-tech bard
Captain (Junior Grade)

This is likely the best one-stop place to find a background on wood-burning & charcoal burning vehicle technology:

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/ ... -cars.html

Key figures of merit:

1) "According to Nichols, one pound of wood (half a kilogram) is sufficient to drive 1 mile (1.6 kilometres), which tallies with the Volvo's 30 kilograms of wood per 100 kilometres."

2) "Despite its industrial appearance, a wood gas car scores rather well from an ecological viewpoint when compared to other alternative fuels. Wood gasification is slightly more effiicient than wood burning, as only 25 percent of the energy content of the fuel is lost. The energy consumption of a woodmobile is around 1.5 times higher than the energy consumption of a similar car powered by gasoline (including the energy lost during the pre-heating of the system and the extra weight of the machinery). If the energy required to mine, transport and refine oil is also taken into account, however, then wood gas is at least as efficient as gasoline. And, of course, wood is a renewable fuel. Gasoline is not."

They are not aircraft, but they will beat the hack out of Dragons, Unicorns and Magicked Uber-Clydsdales operating from a forward railhead.

Return to Multiverse