Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Sort of snippet

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Sort of snippet
Post by Ben Breeck   » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Ben Breeck
Midshipman

As far as I can tell, the only real Calirath House Law is that the Imperial Consort must be either A: Talented, or B: Come from a lineage rich with Talent, with a majority of siblings and/or cousins sporting such talents, making it most probable that s/he is harboring recessive Talent traits. Given sufficiently proven loyalty to the Empire of Ternathia and/or its Imperial Sovereign personally, everything else is negotiable.

I suspect it was that law that Kinfalia was referring to. I have my own personal candidates for Emperor-Consort of the Empire of Sharona, but at least one has already been introduced as of the second volume.
Post by SCC   » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:22 am

SCC
Commander

That's the beauty of things, the mandated marriage is UNABLE to produce issue, so any other children Andrin has will be able to inherit, and Chava gets EXACTLY what he wanted, at least publicly :twisted:
Post by bkwormlisa   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:59 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

Ben Breeck wrote:As far as I can tell, the only real Calirath House Law is that the Imperial Consort must be either A: Talented, or B: Come from a lineage rich with Talent, with a majority of siblings and/or cousins sporting such talents, making it most probable that s/he is harboring recessive Talent traits. Given sufficiently proven loyalty to the Empire of Ternathia and/or its Imperial Sovereign personally, everything else is negotiable.

I suspect it was that law that Kinfalia was referring to. I have my own personal candidates for Emperor-Consort of the Empire of Sharona, but at least one has already been introduced as of the second volume.

I was about to bring that up. In Hell's Gate, it specifically says that every Calirath bride (I assume in a broader context it means anyone marrying the Calirath heir, or maybe any Calirath) must be Talented. It also specifically says that Chava has no Talent at all. If his sons are equally Talentless, well, Andrin can't legally marry any of them. She'll have to find a Prince of Uromatha that does have Talent. And if that's one that Chava doesn't control, well, that's what the law requires after all. It has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to marry his sons, as anyone can obviously tell. ;)
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

That is *Ternath* law.
It might mean that a Chava-Andrin child could not
inherit *Ternath.*
However,
it is the inheritance of all *Sharona* discussed here!
The new Constitution For All Sharona, being worked out
at the Tajvana Convention, will determine the Law For
Inheriting Sharona!

I can imagine a heir to Sharona,
not also being the heir to Ternath!

Of course,
what I actually expect is a small-scale civil war.
Chava looks to be planning to murder the Calirath Royal
Family, except for one child-bearer he would control.
I expect such a Nefarious Plan to fail.

HTM

bkwormlisa wrote:
Ben Breeck wrote:As far as I can tell, the only real Calirath House Law is that the Imperial Consort must be either A: Talented, or B: Come from a lineage rich with Talent, with a majority of siblings and/or cousins sporting such talents, making it most probable that s/he is harboring recessive Talent traits. Given sufficiently proven loyalty to the Empire of Ternathia and/or its Imperial Sovereign personally, everything else is negotiable.

I was about to bring that up. In Hell's Gate, it specifically says that every Calirath bride (I assume in a broader context it means anyone marrying the Calirath heir, or maybe any Calirath) must be Talented. It also specifically says that Chava has no Talent at all. If his sons are equally Talentless, well, Andrin can't legally marry any of them. She'll have to find a Prince of Uromatha that does have Talent. And if that's one that Chava doesn't control, well, that's what the law requires after all. It has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to marry his sons, as anyone can obviously tell. ;)
Post by bkwormlisa   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:54 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:That is *Ternath* law.
It might mean that a Chava-Andrin child could not
inherit *Ternath.*
However,
it is the inheritance of all *Sharona* discussed here!
The new Constitution For All Sharona, being worked out
at the Tajvana Convention, will determine the Law For
Inheriting Sharona!

I can imagine a heir to Sharona,
not also being the heir to Ternath!

Of course,
what I actually expect is a small-scale civil war.
Chava looks to be planning to murder the Calirath Royal
Family, except for one child-bearer he would control.
I expect such a Nefarious Plan to fail.

HTM

I thought they had adopted Ternathian law wholesale, except for the clause of the marriage to Chava's house. That was the point; making a government where they wouldn't have to argue over and determine the laws, since the Ternathian model had worked. Were there other modifications?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

I do not recall that we were told many details.

It *could* have been "Ternath annexes the world,"
Or
it could have been "World Federation, Calirath Emperor
may not meddle in local matters" or "may only meddle
a little bit."
Or something else.
Many possibilities here.
We do know that they are in a hurry,
so they *probably* decide as little as possible.

But we don't know.
It is all too easy to take things for granted.

HTM

bkwormlisa wrote:I thought they had adopted Ternathian law wholesale, except for the clause of the marriage to Chava's house. That was the point; making a government where they wouldn't have to argue over and determine the laws,
since the Ternathian model had worked.
Were there other modifications?
Post by bkwormlisa   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:53 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:I do not recall that we were told many details.

It *could* have been "Ternath annexes the world,"
Or
it could have been "World Federation, Calirath Emperor
may not meddle in local matters" or "may only meddle
a little bit."
Or something else.
Many possibilities here.
We do know that they are in a hurry,
so they *probably* decide as little as possible.

But we don't know.
It is all too easy to take things for granted.

HTM

Yes, I'm making assumptions there. My scenario can't be confirmed with the information we have. I suppose the question is, does anyone know of anything that would disprove it?
Post by Spirit   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Spirit
Midshipman

With civil war started by Chava for his meddling in critical situation, what are chances that his "allies" to finally explode and start sending assassins,

(chava's saintly behavior certainly isn't reason that no one had no reasons to try),

whatever guard he have.

And/or chavas peoples starting revolution to remove chavas royal line from throne/face of sharona. Only bad thing said of chava's peoples is like uromathinan is no diffrent from other sharonan unless its chava and sons, only bad mark of uromathia that is mention to be is chava.

uromathias banks for example have good reputation if memory is right.
Post by Seawolf509   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

Thank you RFC!

Personally since she only has to marry one of the Princes, I say she marries the one closest to the father then kills him!
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:54 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Seawolf509 wrote:Thank you RFC!

Personally since she only has to marry one of the Princes, I say she marries the one closest to the father then kills him!

No. She marries a Uromathian prince that is not a son of Chava. Expect him to lose it and try to assassinate her. Allow her husband, an Uromathian Prince, to respond in a fashion that leaves not one surviving direct descendant of Chava alive. I am sure the Emperor Consort has no end of relatives that can step into the newly vacant roles Chava and his progeny held.

Return to Multiverse