Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Thoughts about upcoming events in the Multiverse....

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Thoughts about upcoming events in the Multiverse....
Post by Renegade13   » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Renegade13
Commander

While we still have a fairly long wait ahead for Book #3, there is hope that is on the way. I just reread both HG and HHNF, and I've been thinking about what might occur in the story.

#1 - We still haven't seen a battle between fully prepared and 'even' forces of Arcana and Sharona. Every combat so far has involved significant surprise or other major advantage for one side or the other. Even the last attack - where the Sharonians weren't really mentally prepared for what was coming (even if they had warning), and were seriously outnumbered; and all of the Arcanan plans were blocked by the presence of Janaki and his Death Glimpse.

So who will have the advantage when the real armies meet? Even the invasion force was a 'scratch-built unit'... odds and ends gathered from wherever they could be found.
Sharonian forces have advantages of range and individual weapons; the Arcanans have mobility and shock as their strengths. Of course, when both sides can bring their 'heavy artillery' to bear, the carnage will be massive.

#2 - The coming chaos for Arcana. The Mythalian plot to take control is going to cause a huge disruption sooner or later - the question is when? And how will Jasak and his companions be able to work against the plot when they feel its effects (even if they don't realize the depth of the plot itself)?

#3 - The coming chaos for Sharona. Chava Busar's plotting (and the various foreshadowing Glimpses) is obvious to me; he will back an assasination attempt on Zindel's life by forces loyal to the Seneschal - an attempt that will be successful. Andrin will take her place as Empress - and will immediately deal with her enemies in a very permanent manner. I really don't think that Chava or any of his sons will be around very long - and I think that the support that they think they have isn't there. Sunlord Markan is, I believe, only the first of many Uromathians who will become Sharonians, and fully support the Caliraths (whichever one is on the throne) over Chava.

#4 - It has already been brought up, but both sides will find that their particular abilities (magical Gifts/spells and Talents) will begin to fade/fail as the distance from their home universes grows. I think that Sharona will be able to more easily adjust, as Sharonian weaponry isn't dependent upon a Talent the way that some of the more important Arcanan weapons are (like their Griffons). But time will tell if those thoughts prove to be true or not! I can hardly wait!!!
Re: Thoughts about upcoming events in the Multiverse....
Post by rafael   » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:38 pm

rafael
Captain of the List

I wonder if Arcana can use magic to copy rifles and the munitions etc. At least once they have a sample. I was just reading the books and I noticed that when Jasak was describing their equipment he "look at how they are built without magic". And the Gadrial said that they can map DNA. So between these two I wonder if that is a hint on what the Arcanains can do once they get a sample. this will still take time but it will allow them to at least have weapons in Sharona's universe.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

The magic we have seen from Arcana so far is either
1 push/lift magic,
2 control/guide magic,
3 destruction magic,
4 or illusions.
If I Recall Correctly.

I do not recall any building/making magic.
The ship being built in "Cuba" was made of
pre-fabricated pieces being magically guided into
place, methods 1 and 2.

HTM

[quote="rafael"]
I wonder if Arcana can use magic to copy rifles and the munitions etc. At least once they have a sample. I was just reading the books and I noticed that when Jasak was describing their equipment he "look at how they are built without magic". And the Gadrial said that they can map DNA. So between these two I wonder if that is a hint on what the Arcanains can do once they get a sample. this will still take time but it will allow them to at least have weapons in Sharona's universe.
[/quote=rafael]
Post by rafael   » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm

rafael
Captain of the List

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:The magic we have seen from Arcana so far is either
1 push/lift magic,
2 control/guide magic,
3 destruction magic,
4 or illusions.
If I Recall Correctly.

I do not recall any building/making magic.
The ship being built in "Cuba" was made of
pre-fabricated pieces being magically guided into
place, methods 1 and 2.

HTM

rafael wrote:I wonder if Arcana can use magic to copy rifles and the munitions etc. At least once they have a sample. I was just reading the books and I noticed that when Jasak was describing their equipment he "look at how they are built without magic". And the Gadrial said that they can map DNA. So between these two I wonder if that is a hint on what the Arcanains can do once they get a sample. this will still take time but it will allow them to at least have weapons in Sharona's universe.
[/quote=rafael]

It was implied that they use it to make their clothes and whatever tools they use with it as well.
Post by viciokie   » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:26 pm

viciokie
Captain of the List

I do have curiosity if the sharonans can build bi planes similar to WW1 fighters like the sopwith camel so that in the air they can be somewhat on par to the arcanans.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

IMHO, with the kind of railroad locomotives they use,
they have the tech and engineering skills to make
airplanes, if it occurs to them to try, and in
particular to do wind tunnel experiments.
Their fastest locomotives must be dealing with
considerable wind resistance.

With all of the new Gates around, it is a question
whether they would *invent* a workable airplane before
they *meet* some world with workable airplanes!

Note that by 1914, eleven years after First Flight,
armies had planes useful for scouting, but not yet
able to fight either air-to-air or air-to-ground.
It would take more time for the Sharonans to learn
how to put machine guns that could be aimed,
onto their newly invented airplanes.

Howard T. Map-addict

viciokie wrote:I do have curiosity if the sharonans can build bi planes similar to WW1 fighters like the sopwith camel so that in the air they can be somewhat on par to the arcanans.
Post by viciokie   » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:17 pm

viciokie
Captain of the List

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:IMHO, with the kind of railroad locomotives they use,

Howard T. Map-addict

viciokie wrote:I do have curiosity if the sharonans can build bi planes similar to WW1 fighters like the sopwith camel so that in the air they can be somewhat on par to the arcanans.

True but isnt necessity the mother of invention much like WW1 was?
Post by viciokie   » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:25 pm

viciokie
Captain of the List

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:IMHO, with the kind of railroad locomotives they use,

Howard T. Map-addict

Also along the same line what about tanks such as in the WW1 model? granted they are not worth spit against a dragon but they will help in some respect to the arcanan heavy weapons.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Children born to a mother are not completely predictable.

Dragon weapons are line-of-sight, except for gas,
so a vehicle with an extra shield in front, on a
mobile arm, like an umbrella, might be useful.
Mostly it seems to be a matter of who shoots first,
and who has more shooters.

Dragons take more years to grow than guns take to build,
so the dragons are more precious, even before we
consider that they are living beings capable of love.

Howard T. Map-addict

viciokie wrote:

.... Necessity the Mother of Invention.
Also along the same line what about tanks such as in the WW1 model? granted they are not worth spit against a dragon but they will help in some respect to the arcanan heavy weapons.
Post by Jaxomfaux   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:56 am

Jaxomfaux
Ensign

the thing i wonder about is whether or not when arcana finds out how boned their about to be they break their ban on WMD's. they supposedly almost destroyed their own world with genocide weapons. my other curiousity is how the whales and dolphins are gonna go to war.... i'm betting there's some underwater portals they haven't brought up.

also the ship being built was done with magic enchanted saws cutting wood on it's own too.

i would assume a tank would be almost the ultimate sharonian weapons platform because ANY amount of cover negates dragon weapons and it can be sealed air-tight. considering that they just started making armored trains and have gas engines for dozers the idea will come about quickly i bet.

i'm positive that now that sharona knows they have a need for some sort of air power they'll figure something out quicky. maybe not bi-planes but at the very least blimps and balloons.

another brief thought, anyone know what the current speed of a train is? don't ours only go around 80-90 for our bullet trains? their paladins are supposed to go easily over a 100 with massive loads.... and on that note i just realized the easiest way for the dolphins and whales to be helpful. underwater construction/land maps neccessary for the railhead bridges across those evil water gaps slowing everything down....

sorry, just a few musings.

Return to Multiverse