Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

After reading all 4 books of Empire of Man in 2 days...

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
After reading all 4 books of Empire of Man in 2 days...
Post by PsyberTech   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:35 am

PsyberTech
Midshipman

David,

Kindle/Audible has this wonderful function on many titles called Whisper Sync or something that has lead me to find the works of many authors I might have never found. After a while I start to take notice of books narrated by the likes of Mark Boyett, Marc Vietor, Jeffery Kafer, Allyson Johnson, Oliver Wyman to be sure, and the great Ray Chase. Because of them, I find myself thumbing through other authors they have read for, and I tend to just buy a half dozen or more at random to both read and listen to.

At such a random pick, I started reading John Ringo and rather liked his style. When I went back to find some more from John, I was stunned to find that he had worked with David Weber on a four book series just over 10 years ago. I thought I had read everything from David, but somehow my searches missed these four. So, I just bought all four books and sat down to read. That was Wednesday evening. It is now Friday evening, and I have not slept since I turned the first page to the very last of the series. Just an emotional journey which happily, captured me.

Reading the Empire of Man series was like reading Honor Harrington with Edgar Rice Burroughs; Tarzan and Tanar of Pellucidar all rolled together in an entire new story of Neo-Barb Sci-Fi high adventure at it's finest.

There is a special bookcase in my house which holds paper copies of Burroughs, Tolken, Weber, Nathan Lowell and B.V. Larson etc.. Now I need to track down the paper copies of four more book to add to that wondrous collection. John Ringo has really moved up on my list of authors held favorite in my heart.

Thank you...
Re: After reading all 4 books of Empire of Man in 2 days...
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:12 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Well Ensign, welcome to this Excellent Literary Forum. The first six rounds of Old Tillman dark stout English ale is on us.

"Glug", "glug", "glug".

Ahh ... the memories of pulling "all nighters". Staying up all night reading, typing or studying. You are dismissed and carry on! :)
Re: After reading all 4 books of Empire of Man in 2 days...
Post by PsyberTech   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:24 pm

PsyberTech
Midshipman

HB of CJ wrote:Well Ensign, welcome to this Excellent Literary Forum. The first six rounds of Old Tillman dark stout English ale is on us.

"Glug", "glug", "glug".

Ahh ... the memories of pulling "all nighters". Staying up all night reading, typing or studying. You are dismissed and carry on! :)

Thank you Sir! May I have another? :)

Return to Empire of Man