Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Any Word???

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
Re: Any Word???
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:55 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I for one have a hard time trying to understand what happens when writing for pleasure becomes writing for dead line or for contract obligations. What was once fun becomes just work? I hope this is not happening with the great authors providing us with great storylines.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Can't speak directly for the authors concerned - I can't recall seeing either of them discuss this - but as a rule, writers for whom fun turns into just work don't turn pro, or at least don't stay pro.

There are pros for whom writing is and always was just work, but they tend not to be story-tellers. Look for them under 'business' or 'general interest' [or don't bother, as their own names aren't the ones on the book anyway]

There are many authors who will readily admit that writing for publication is _also_ work, but when they're not having fun they go do something else. They're story-tellers, and you can't tell stories well when you don't enjoy the telling.

HB of CJ wrote:I for one have a hard time trying to understand what happens when writing for pleasure becomes writing for dead line or for contract obligations. What was once fun becomes just work? I hope this is not happening with the great authors providing us with great storylines.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:08 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

jtg452 wrote:
Dauntless wrote:and of course we all know how busy RFC is. I'm hoping when he gets the next hon or book sorted he can spare the time to go back Roger and co.

One would certainly hope.

I've developed a nasty habit over the last year or so of rereading all of the snippets posted when the new Prince Roger book was announced every few months in hope that either new ones were posted or some progress has been announced.

today john ringo posted a new roger snippet on his facebook page. not very long but promising

Return to Empire of Man