Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who or what is Permuster?

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
Who or what is Permuster?
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Hank Plantagenet
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Roger read the text message received by his toot and tried, again, not to smile. They must be having gibbering fits at the command post.

"To an extent, I agree," Roger said carefully. "And I'm sure—" actually, he was positive "—that my advisor on such things, Ms. O'Casey, also agrees."

"She does," From said. "Eleanora and I have had long discussions about the local political situation and your human political history. Our conversations and the points she raised were what convinced us to arrange this meeting. They gave us hope that you would . . . assist us in this endeavor."

* * *

Pahner's head turned like a tracking tank turret. His eyes nailed the chief of staff, who shrugged and held her hands out, palms up.

"How was I to know?" she asked.

"You didn't happen to give them a copy of Machiavelli or Permuster while you were about it, did you?" the Marine growled.



OK, I've tried to research Permuster and have come up empty. Machiavelli is easily recognizable enough, but I've tried looking up Permuster (with various permutations of spelling, ha) with no luck.

Does anyone know of an earthly political philosopher by this name, or should I chalk it up to authorial license?
Top
Re: Who or what is Permuster?
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:23 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:08 am

Hank Plantagenet wrote:Roger read the text message received by his toot and tried, again, not to smile. They must be having gibbering fits at the command post.

"To an extent, I agree," Roger said carefully. "And I'm sure—" actually, he was positive "—that my advisor on such things, Ms. O'Casey, also agrees."

"She does," From said. "Eleanora and I have had long discussions about the local political situation and your human political history. Our conversations and the points she raised were what convinced us to arrange this meeting. They gave us hope that you would . . . assist us in this endeavor."

* * *

Pahner's head turned like a tracking tank turret. His eyes nailed the chief of staff, who shrugged and held her hands out, palms up.

"How was I to know?" she asked.

"You didn't happen to give them a copy of Machiavelli or Permuster while you were about it, did you?" the Marine growled.



OK, I've tried to research Permuster and have come up empty. Machiavelli is easily recognizable enough, but I've tried looking up Permuster (with various permutations of spelling, ha) with no luck.

Does anyone know of an earthly political philosopher by this name, or should I chalk it up to authorial license?


I tried googleing it last time I read the series, with no luck. I more or less gave up and just kind of assumed that he was somebody from the Dagger Years, who expanded on Machiavelli.
________________
I'm the Dude...you know, that or His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
Top
Re: Who or what is Permuster?
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Hank Plantagenet
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:26 pm

crewdude48 wrote:
I tried googleing it last time I read the series, with no luck. I more or less gave up and just kind of assumed that he was somebody from the Dagger Years, who expanded on Machiavelli.


OK, I'm glad that I am not the only one!!! :)
Top
Re: Who or what is Permuster?
Post by BrianC   » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:31 am

BrianC
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Remember that this takes place hundreds of years into our future so Permuster then is presumably a Machiavellian like character from the future.

crewdude48 wrote:
Hank Plantagenet wrote:Roger read the text message received by his toot and tried, again, not to smile. They must be having gibbering fits at the command post.

"To an extent, I agree," Roger said carefully. "And I'm sure—" actually, he was positive "—that my advisor on such things, Ms. O'Casey, also agrees."

"She does," From said. "Eleanora and I have had long discussions about the local political situation and your human political history. Our conversations and the points she raised were what convinced us to arrange this meeting. They gave us hope that you would . . . assist us in this endeavor."

* * *

Pahner's head turned like a tracking tank turret. His eyes nailed the chief of staff, who shrugged and held her hands out, palms up.

"How was I to know?" she asked.

"You didn't happen to give them a copy of Machiavelli or Permuster while you were about it, did you?" the Marine growled.



OK, I've tried to research Permuster and have come up empty. Machiavelli is easily recognizable enough, but I've tried looking up Permuster (with various permutations of spelling, ha) with no luck.

Does anyone know of an earthly political philosopher by this name, or should I chalk it up to authorial license?


I tried googleing it last time I read the series, with no luck. I more or less gave up and just kind of assumed that he was somebody from the Dagger Years, who expanded on Machiavelli.
Top
Re: Who or what is Permuster?
Post by Taurus2   » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:18 am

Taurus2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 72
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 3:02 pm

BrianC wrote:Remember that this takes place hundreds of years into our future so Permuster then is presumably a Machiavellian like character from the future.


Basically, yeah. It's an abbreviated version of this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FamousFamousFictional
Top

Return to Empire of Man