Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

H Beam Piper

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
H Beam Piper
Post by steel2   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:53 pm

steel2
Midshipman

So in re-reading this series, has either author :?: ever acknowledged the direct use of various names from H.Beam Piper's Space Viking and other novels. Such as Marduke and deGlopper's fake merchie name of " Beowulf's Gift" There are a number of direct copies within the series. The aurthors could have at least credited one of Sci Fi's founding authoers
Re: H Beam Piper
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

steel2 wrote:So in re-reading this series, has either author :?: ever acknowledged the direct use of various names from H.Beam Piper's Space Viking and other novels. Such as Marduke and deGlopper's fake merchie name of " Beowulf's Gift" There are a number of direct copies within the series. The aurthors could have at least credited one of Sci Fi's founding authoers

I understand your sentiment but how far back should a contemporary author give credit to the giant shoulders upon which he stands? I bow to no one in my admiration of that all too tragically brief career of Mr Piper, but many of the themes he used were already in common use. Poul Anderson, in his "High Crusade", presaged Lord Kalvin as well as elements of barbarians becoming civilized using stolen technology. Besides much of this is REAL HISTORY as the Viking Norse became the Christian rulers of Sicily, Normandy and England.

And, unless the meme becomes a totally lost history and literature, Beowulf, as the first Anglo-Saxon Epic, will continue to be a known referent in history. I believe that RA Heinlein once said that much of successful writing is changing enough of some other's work as to effectively file off the 'serial numbers'. As for other 'direct copies', I'd have to see them and then refresh on Piper's "Space Viking" books.

So, in my own idiosyncratic view, Mr Piper's shade is probably unsurprised and not offended by your points. HOWEVER, I'll turn around and say that the authors would do their readers a favor by helping to publicize H Beam Piper's works in some fashion. His suicide was a very dark end to a very good author! RIP Mr Piper!
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Trevin   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Trevin
Ensign

I agree with everything you wrote, charybdis.
I Think Most Of Us Got The Reference
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:54 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I for one immediately thought of Mr. Pipers works when the aforementioned connections were presented in Mr. Webers books. I think Mr. Weber was indirectly honouring him. And while lots of alien animals might end up being found that have 6 legs...

It was Mr. Piper who did so long ago with his PARA TIME series. Now I want to re-read Mr. Pipers stuff. It has been long enough ago that it would be kinda like reading them for the first time....but not quite. HB of CJ. (old coot who has not watched TV for 20 years) I love it here. Thank you.
Post by Caseyorourke   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:07 am

Caseyorourke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

steel2 wrote:So in re-reading this series, has either author :?: ever acknowledged the direct use of various names from H.Beam Piper's Space Viking and other novels. Such as Marduke and deGlopper's fake merchie name of " Beowulf's Gift" There are a number of direct copies within the series. The aurthors could have at least credited one of Sci Fi's founding authoers

The name DeGlopper wasn't the creation of Mr. Piper. If this case the ship was named after Charles DeGlopper, who was the only soldier in the 82nd Airborne Division to be awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor during the Normandy Invasion, albeit posthumously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_N._DeGlopper
Post by crewdude48   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:39 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Caseyorourke wrote:

The name DeGlopper wasn't the creation of Mr. Piper. If this case the ship was named after Charles DeGlopper, who was the only soldier in the 82nd Airborne Division to be awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor during the Normandy Invasion, albeit posthumously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_N._DeGlopper

He didn't say DeGlopper came from Piper; he said that the false name of Beowulf's Gift came from Piper.

Return to Empire of Man