Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Questions about Book 5 Snippets (SPOILERS)

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
Questions about Book 5 Snippets (SPOILERS)
Post by jchilds   » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

It's very early days, but...

The two questions that come to mind so far about the not-so-set-in-stone snippets we've so far are :

1) Did Kostas have no family whatsoever? It seems strange that no relative of his was elevated to the Peerage. At least a mention of that they declined, or that had his relatives existed, they would have been ennobled, or something. It just doesn't seem like Roger to forget him.

2) The title Duke of Mars is bugging me. It's mentioned in We Few that :

The UOW was even older than the Empire of Man, having been a brief competitor for stellar dominance against the old Solarian Union. It still maintained "ownership" of Mars, some of the more habitable of the Sol System's moons, and several outworlds in Sol's vicinity—enough to retain its independence from the Empire and be officially considered the sixth interstellar polity. Its territory, however, was entirely surrounded by Imperial star systems.

So what exactly is the status of Mars? Is it UOW or Imperial territory or something in between? A brief clarification might be nice.

Anybody?
Re: Questions about Book 5 Snippets (SPOILERS)
Post by jtg452   » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

The Duke of Mars thing has been admitted to be a continuity mistake by the author. It will be fixed in the final draft.

I've been wondering about Kostas' family, too. I seriously doubt that Roger would forget them. I think that Ringo just didn't think about writing about it and putting it on paper what he did for the family.
Post by Brom O'Berin   » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Brom O'Berin
Captain (Junior Grade)

Or maybe Kostas was estranged from his family - possibly for maintaining his lengthy service with "that spoiled wastrel brat Roger who will never amount to anything..."

jtg452 wrote:The Duke of Mars thing has been admitted to be a continuity mistake by the author. It will be fixed in the final draft.

I've been wondering about Kostas' family, too. I seriously doubt that Roger would forget them. I think that Ringo just didn't think about writing about it and putting it on paper what he did for the family.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:33 am

namelessfly

Brom O'Berin wrote:Or maybe Kostas was estranged from his family - possibly for maintaining his lengthy service with "that spoiled wastrel brat Roger who will never amount to anything..."

jtg452 wrote:The Duke of Mars thing has been admitted to be a continuity mistake by the author. It will be fixed in the final draft.

Kostas might have been an orphan raised by adoptive parents. It wouldn't be unusual for there to be estrangement. It is not safe for my step siblings from my adoptive "parents" to be around me.
Post by AClone   » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:48 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Brom O'Berin wrote:Or maybe Kostas was estranged from his family - possibly for maintaining his lengthy service with "that spoiled wastrel brat Roger who will never amount to anything..."

Frankly, I don't think Ima Hooker's dad got a peerage.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Kostas' relative became New Madrid...
Post by Starsaber   » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

AClone wrote:

Frankly, I don't think Ima Hooker's dad got a peerage.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Kostas' relative became New Madrid...

That would work. Too bad there isn't another Prince level peerage available. It'd make sense to have Kostas and Pahner's relatives at the same level of official recognition.

Ah well, I can still hope for the first Imperial Heirs being Armand and Kostas MacClintock.
Post by bunyipbelle   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:04 pm

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

I think Ima Hooker's father is dead. I think it was mentioned in March upcountry
Post by WLBjork   » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:03 pm

WLBjork
Commander

Yeah, Ima Hooker's father is dead. Shame, as Roger wanted to kill him for what he did to her...
Post by MilSF   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 pm

MilSF
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

WLBjork wrote:Yeah, Ima Hooker's father is dead. Shame, as Roger wanted to kill him for what he did to her...

Everytime I see that name, I think of Ima Hogg - a major figure in late-19th/early-20th century Texas.
Post by saber964   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

MilSF wrote:
WLBjork wrote:Yeah, Ima Hooker's father is dead. Shame, as Roger wanted to kill him for what he did to her...

Everytime I see that name, I think of Ima Hogg - a major figure in late-19th/early-20th century Texas.

In my city we had a plumber by the name Russel 'Rusty' Pipes

Return to Empire of Man