Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Dahak vs Empire of Men

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Dahak vs Empire of Men
Post by dahaakaa   » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 pm

dahaakaa
Midshipman

There is one thing which bothers me greatly....Lawrence McClintock Jefferson from Dahak series....and Miranda Mcclintock from Empire of men. Is there ant connection ? Or just simply coincidence ? I'd really love to know :)

Did one of Mcclintock's finally succeed and put them on throne ? Or what ? Is those series are even in one universe ?
Re: Dahak vs Empire of Men
Post by munroburton   » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 pm

munroburton
Admiral

MWW likes to reuse a few names across his many series. Either that or so many characters have been created that he's run out of unused names!

Dahak and Empire of Man take place in different, separate universes.
Post by Somtaaw   » Thu May 12, 2016 11:03 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Another one, is apparently Baen really, really seems to hate Joe Buckley. The poor guy can't seem to get a break, in all the Baen books I've read. They have zero real connection, but their base backgrounds arent really all that different, and there's also some Honorverse association too. But as munro observed, it's just name recycling and good themes being used over and over.

I'll have to reread all both the Dahak and EoM books before I can give the background parallels I've noticed previously, but never thought to actually note down. But off-hand, the EoM Earth and Fourth Empire Birhat can be loosely connected as 'similar', but again no real connection between them.
Post by Louis R   » Thu May 12, 2016 11:16 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

You need to read the Flint/Spoor Boundary books.

Not only does Joe live through them, he comes up trumps more than once.

And this has become what's known as a running gag - Joe is, I understand, actually friends with everyone who's killed him. No hate in sight.

Somtaaw wrote:Another one, is apparently Baen really, really seems to hate Joe Buckley. The poor guy can't seem to get a break, in all the Baen books I've read. They have zero real connection, but their base backgrounds arent really all that different, and there's also some Honorverse association too. But as munro observed, it's just name recycling and good themes being used over and over.

I'll have to reread all both the Dahak and EoM books before I can give the background parallels I've noticed previously, but never thought to actually note down. But off-hand, the EoM Earth and Fourth Empire Birhat can be loosely connected as 'similar', but again no real connection between them.
Post by drothgery   » Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Of course, LMB hasn't introduced (and killed) Jo Vorbuckley yet ...
Post by dwmdw45   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:20 pm

dwmdw45
Ensign

John Ringo explains the Joe Buckley thing here: https://www.baen.com/readonline/index/r ... 1625793577
Post by zuluwiz   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:21 pm

zuluwiz
Commander

When the Great Grand Master (Robert A. Heinlein) invented a character he really didn't like, he usually named him Monty.

Return to Dahak