Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Anthology of Dahak stories

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Anthology of Dahak stories
Post by MPCatchup   » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:08 am

MPCatchup
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 pm

I have come to accept the fact that there will not be another novel in this storyline but with that fact comes the realization that an anthology would be a great thing. Some nice short stories about the further exploration of the galaxy(s) and encountering new civilizations. Maybe something along the line of Eric Flint's Grantville Gazette. It could even have stories from more than one of Mr. Weber's storylines.
Also just wanted to post in this forum to help keep others interested. That is all carry on.
Top
Re: Anthology of Dahak stories
Post by Rod   » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:26 am

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm

One could Hope! With some short stories maybe we could find out what's happened with the kids. How's the reconstruction of Pardal going? I didn't see them (the kids) abandoning them.

I remember Colin saying how he wanted his kids to Do something and not just be given, because of who they are!
Top
Re: Anthology of Dahak stories
Post by JB744   » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:08 pm

JB744
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am
Location: South Carolina

How about retracing the Achultanni invasion route to aid civilizations/sentients that might be hanging on by a thread.

Track down surviving scout and main fleet units to prevent more destruction.

Just a couple of ideas in addition to the ones mentioned previously. The Dahak books are what got me interested in DW's work in general. Please give us more!
Top
Re: Anthology of Dahak stories
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:45 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

JB744 wrote:How about retracing the Achultanni invasion route to aid civilizations/sentients that might be hanging on by a thread.

Track down surviving scout and main fleet units to prevent more destruction.

Just a couple of ideas in addition to the ones mentioned previously. The Dahak books are what got me interested in DW's work in general. Please give us more!

Not sure that there are going to be any survivors along their path. They seem to have been willing to use whatever level of force was required to make sure that the sentients were exterminated, and given the nature of the Achultanni computer, would have detached individual ships to ensure that the destruction had been complete. The one thing it didn't want to do (particularly in the demon sector) was leave behind something that might grow up to challenge it in the future. It had to be aware that it had missed pockets of humanity in the past, and that was what kept making the demon sector so bad.
The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: Anthology of Dahak stories
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

MPCatchup wrote:I have come to accept the fact that there will not be another novel in this storyline but with that fact comes the realization that an anthology would be a great thing. Some nice short stories about the further exploration of the galaxy(s) and encountering new civilizations. Maybe something along the line of Eric Flint's Grantville Gazette. It could even have stories from more than one of Mr. Weber's storylines.
Also just wanted to post in this forum to help keep others interested. That is all carry on.

This is a nice idea, but the thought of taking David away from his other writing to edit The New Landing Times fills me with horror, since there are already so many other stories that he NEEDS to be writing, if only to satisfy my own cravings.
The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: Anthology of Dahak stories
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Florida

fallsfromtrees wrote:This is a nice idea, but the thought of taking David away from his other writing to edit The New Landing Times fills me with horror, since there are already so many other stories that he NEEDS to be writing, if only to satisfy my own cravings.


That's what "co-authors" are for. They can continue story lines when one particular person is too busy or otherwise engaged.

For example, there are books set in the "Terran Federation" universe (like Extremis) that are done by a co-author. That way the fans can be kept "happier", since there's no way any single author with multiple universes/story lines could possibly have the time to actually keep all the various fans HAPPY.
Top

Return to Dahak