Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

What will the next book be about

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Re: What will the next book be about
Post by Thome215   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Thome215
Midshipman

I'm just re-re-reading Heirs of Empire, and I too would love to read another few books in the series. But something both prequel and sequel.

Anything to do with Aku'Ultan will have to be centuries into the future. Personally, I would like to read about the Fifth Imperium encountering either a new alien race or another human empire.

For a prequel book, I would love to read about one of those ships that just happened to 'disappear' as the bio-weapon was doing its infernal job.

I actually sent a short story to DW's email address a few years ago on the subject. (All rights and properties dealing with the Dahak series are of course belonging to David Weber. Anything written by me using that 'universe' belongs wholly and completely to David Weber.) I didn't hear anything back, but then I didn't expect to anyway...

And no matter what, at least from reading all these posts, Mr. Weber knows the impact his stories have made upon us!
Post by biochem   » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:55 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Thome215 wrote:I actually sent a short story to DW's email address a few years ago on the subject. (All rights and properties dealing with the Dahak series are of course belonging to David Weber. Anything written by me using that 'universe' belongs wholly and completely to David Weber.) I didn't hear anything back, but then I didn't expect to anyway...

Unfortunately he would have had to delete it unread. There have been legal problems with several authors about rights etc. Even an attached statement isn't enough. Unless your phrasing was legally perfect, a good lawyer can find their way around it. It's basically a case of a few difficult individuals ruining things for everyone else.
Post by DDHvi   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:57 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

biochem wrote:
Thome215 wrote:I actually sent a short story to DW's email address a few years ago on the subject. (All rights and properties dealing with the Dahak series are of course belonging to David Weber. Anything written by me using that 'universe' belongs wholly and completely to David Weber.) I didn't hear anything back, but then I didn't expect to anyway...

Unfortunately he would have had to delete it unread. There have been legal problems with several authors about rights etc. Even an attached statement isn't enough. Unless your phrasing was legally perfect, a good lawyer can find their way around it. It's basically a case of a few difficult individuals ruining things for everyone else.

=Ecclesiastes 10:1
Dead flies cause the ointment to send forth a stinking savour; so does a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honor.

So this problem isn't new, just the particulars.

It would be nice to read a good alternate history story where Adam and Eve rejected the blandishments of the lie, steal, kill, and destroy enemy. Can you imagine how much further we could have advanced without the background of bad ethics that reality has? What would it be like to live where everyone just naturally tried to be creative and useful?

It is doubtful that there is any fiction author capable of properly handling such a theme. The various utopia stories certainly haven't done so.
:(
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Dahak