Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Where did "Mister X" get his money?

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Where did "Mister X" get his money?
Post by Mycall4me   » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:31 am

Mycall4me
Commander

So, Lawrence Jefferson the traitor in Heirs of Empire, did quite a lot of things that would have entailed spending large amounts of money. As a couple of examples, there was the money that he used to bribe the maker of the graviton bomb, the bribe money for the mat trans operator. And the grav bomb maker said (to us readers) that money had been no object. And what about the large amount of money it would take to build and staff the duplicate mat trans? And there are other things that would need to be paid for.

He was a former US senator, and then the Lt Governor of earth. I think that there may have been a mention that he had family money, but I find it hard to believe that that could have financed all of the many things that required untraceable funds to pay for those things.
Re: Where did "Mister X" get his money?
Post by Louis R   » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:50 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

He was also one of Anu's top degenerates - in fact, probably the most senior to escape detection. He'd have known where a _lot_ of bodies were buried, and how to profit from them. He very likely also had access to, probably direct control over, some portion of Anu's covert funding mechanisms. And finally, it is remarkably easy for people working at that level in any government to create 'black' budgets and sidetrack huge sums, provided said sums amount to fractions of a percent of the total budget they're overseeing. For an entire planet, a G$ is a rounding error.

Mycall4me wrote:So, Lawrence Jefferson the traitor in Heirs of Empire, did quite a lot of things that would have entailed spending large amounts of money. As a couple of examples, there was the money that he used to bribe the maker of the graviton bomb, the bribe money for the mat trans operator. And the grav bomb maker said (to us readers) that money had been no object. And what about the large amount of money it would take to build and staff the duplicate mat trans? And there are other things that would need to be paid for.

He was a former US senator, and then the Lt Governor of earth. I think that there may have been a mention that he had family money, but I find it hard to believe that that could have financed all of the many things that required untraceable funds to pay for those things.

Return to Dahak