Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Did Heirs to Empire lead to the Safehold series?

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Did Heirs to Empire lead to the Safehold series?
Post by Miracle Mechanic   » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:00 am

Miracle Mechanic
Midshipman

Going through the Dahak series and hearing a lot of the same church stuff and seeing the same mix of different generations of weapons in Heirs that you see in Safehold.

Just wondering if writing it gave RFC ideas on an expanded storyline that led to Nimue waking up in that cave.
Re: Did Heirs to Empire lead to the Safehold series?
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:05 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Miracle Mechanic wrote:Going through the Dahak series and hearing a lot of the same church stuff and seeing the same mix of different generations of weapons in Heirs that you see in Safehold.

Just wondering if writing it gave RFC ideas on an expanded storyline that led to Nimue waking up in that cave.

I have noted that also... Perhaps Dahak is a rough draft.

Both were well developed stories with entertaining characters and plots and Safehold would be evident to some eighth grader as the more mature work so, to me, it is irrelevant.

There are some other stories that David wrote with some of the same issues that Safehold discussed but I think they are important aspects of human behavior so, again I don't mind

I own more than 25 of his books either hard bound or Kindle and I find that I will re-read entire series after a few years have passed or when there is a new book in a series
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Re: Did Heirs to Empire lead to the Safehold series?
Post by Louis R   » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:45 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

There should be a FAQ for this one :)

As mentioned elsewhere, Safehold was one of a number of series that Himself outlined some 30-40 years ago. [II understand correctly, the Bahzell sequence starting with Sword of the South was another one] When he pitched several of them to Jim Baen, Honor Harrington won out. Since he didn't expect to have a chance to write it he reused the basic scenario in Heirs. So in a sense the book had it's origin on Safehold - not that the basic concept was original even then.

C. O. Thompson wrote:
Miracle Mechanic wrote:Going through the Dahak series and hearing a lot of the same church stuff and seeing the same mix of different generations of weapons in Heirs that you see in Safehold.

I have noted that also... Perhaps Dahak is a rough draft.

Both were well developed stories with entertaining characters and plots and Safehold would be evident to some eighth grader as the more mature work so, to me, it is irrelevant.

There are some other stories that David wrote with some of the same issues that Safehold discussed but I think they are important aspects of human behavior so, again I don't mind

I own more than 25 of his books either hard bound or Kindle and I find that I will re-read entire series after a few years have passed or when there is a new book in a series

Return to Dahak