Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

TV

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
TV
Post by LBD09   » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:57 pm

LBD09
Midshipman

I was just wondering if you personally own the rights to the Dahak series or if it's through a company like your publisher Baen? I've honestly believed for like 16 years or more that this would be great for an TV adaption. Regardless of all plethora of Science-Fiction shows out these days.
Re: TV
Post by Louis R   » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:24 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I'm obviously not Himself, nor do I speak for Him, but I happen to know that the media rights to any original book or series are owned by the author[s] - they don't get included in a normal publishing contract. In this case they were actually sold to a junior production company some 15 or so years ago. Some preliminary work was done, but ultimately the project, and the company, collapsed. I believe that their assets, including the Dahak rights, passed to another company, since there was a flurry of hope for a revival of the project, but in the end nothing happened.

At this point, I have no real idea what the situation is but, given the time that has passed, unless someone has continued to make payments to Himself for a property they aren't using or likely to use the contract has expired and the rights have long since reverted.

LBD09 wrote:I was just wondering if you personally own the rights to the Dahak series or if it's through a company like your publisher Baen? I've honestly believed for like 16 years or more that this would be great for an TV adaption. Regardless of all plethora of Science-Fiction shows out these days.
Re: TV
Post by kickasstimus   » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 am

kickasstimus
Midshipman

At some point there was a Mutineer's Moon anime that was in pre-production. Granted, this was 20 years ago, and I'm sure the rights aren't still held or optioned by that company -- if the company even exists anymore. The concept art was ... weird.

MM and AH work as a movies, but are little short for a series without weaving new stories out of whole cloth -- which, you could do with the goodies and baddies to some degree, just fleshing them out more. Then you get to HoH. There are enough threads there to make a series, easily.

I know of at least a couple of very solid screenplays based on it, but I also know neither has been submitted (yet) and only one of the parties has reached out to The Man Himself ... and that was over 20 years ago ... and I don't know how warm the reply was, if there was one. The other screenplay is still in revision.

The thing holding a Dahakverse series/movie back right now is how to end it -- a bit of a lack of source material. Whatever comes of any project will have to involve DW to develop an arc beyond HoH.

Return to Dahak