Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Reseeding the bio weaponed planets.

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Reseeding the bio weaponed planets.
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:15 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

The planets of the Fourth Empire that were hit by the bioweapon are lifeless. But shouldn't the possibility of "terraforming: them after the fact exist?

They were, after all, once lifebearing worlds located in the appropriate locations in their star system's. The 5th empire could, starting at the most basic lifeform micro organisms and build up from there to more and more advanced forms. And all it would really take was tome. A long, long time, but still.

Birhat is a prime example of that.
Re: Reseeding the bio weaponed planets.
Post by Mycall4me   » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:04 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Uh oh. I just found out in Heirs of Empire that because the bio weapon killed all living things that that means that the atmospgere would not be able to be maintained. The only reason that Birhat survided was because her zoo/enviromental habitats escaped before the atmospete completely degraded.

So just forget I said anything.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:23 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Mycall4me wrote:Uh oh. I just found out in Heirs of Empire that because the bio weapon killed all living things that that means that the atmospgere would not be able to be maintained. The only reason that Birhat survided was because her zoo/enviromental habitats escaped before the atmospete completely degraded.

I think terraforming is still possible for all of those worlds, but you have to start with algae and work your way up (probably millennia rather than centuries).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Louis R   » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:18 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Agreed. Although conditions are now probably rather extreme, these remain places conducive to the survival of our kind of life. And almost certainly are _not_ conducive to life arising de novo - too much will have changed. There's probably still a great deal of dissolved oxygen in the seas, for example, as well as detectable amounts in the atmosphere. In fact, I'm not sure that 40,000 years is long enough for the O2 level to drop below ~10%, which is more than enough to support an effective ozone layer, and reseeding would be quite feasible with the empire's biotechnology.

Interestingly, there might be an issue with having enough CO2 some places, since weathering scours it out of the atmosphere pretty effectively if there's no active sources of it - but again, even without active vulcanism I don't think 40,000 years is long enough to sequester enough to make things unrecoverable.

Still and all, 40 millennia is long enough that another 40 to put things right is probably optimistic,

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Mycall4me wrote:Uh oh. I just found out in Heirs of Empire that because the bio weapon killed all living things that that means that the atmospgere would not be able to be maintained. The only reason that Birhat survided was because her zoo/enviromental habitats escaped before the atmospete completely degraded.

I think terraforming is still possible for all of those worlds, but you have to start with algae and work your way up (probably millennia rather than centuries).

Return to Dahak