Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

New Book in this series

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Re: New Book in this series
Post by Owlish48   » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Owlish48
Midshipman

For the Dahak fans out there, I do have some 'old news' - in addition to other series the MWW has under contract, he has two more Multiverse novels due to Baen, so another Dahak is at least somewhat more remote than indicated above. Considering the frequency of Multiverse books, 'somewhat more remote' is not likely a variation on Soon.
Post by bkwormlisa   » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:33 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

He posted a brief list of projects last October (http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10280). Personally, I'm not too happy with it. I probably reread the Dahak books more than anything else he's ever written, but right now I don't really want him adding to them. I also love Apocalypse Troll and have reread In Fury Born several times, but I don't want to see those books either.

I wish he would actually wrap some things up (Safehold and Multiverse are on absolute cliffhangers right now, and Sword of the South just begs for resolution) before he even thinks about adding to worlds that are at least on decent stopping points (Dahak, In Fury Born, Apocalypse Troll, Excalibur Alternative, Out of the Dark, Prince Roger could have stopped at book four, on and on). And I wish he would finish things up (the Mesan Alignment) before he sprawls worlds out further (Alfred Harrington backstory).

It's gotten to the point that I honestly don't want to start his new things like Gordian Protocol because at this point I don't think he's going to finish all the existing storylines and I don't want any more frustration. DW won't live forever and I have this sinking feeling he's going to die with a dozen sprawling storylines with no resolution. :(
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

bkwormlisa wrote:He posted a brief list of projects last October (http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10280). Personally, I'm not too happy with it. I probably reread the Dahak books more than anything else he's ever written, but right now I don't really want him adding to them. I also love Apocalypse Troll and have reread In Fury Born several times, but I don't want to see those books either.

I wish he would actually wrap some things up (Safehold and Multiverse are on absolute cliffhangers right now, and Sword of the South just begs for resolution) before he even thinks about adding to worlds that are at least on decent stopping points (Dahak, In Fury Born, Apocalypse Troll, Excalibur Alternative, Out of the Dark, Prince Roger could have stopped at book four, on and on). And I wish he would finish things up (the Mesan Alignment) before he sprawls worlds out further (Alfred Harrington backstory).

It's gotten to the point that I honestly don't want to start his new things like Gordian Protocol because at this point I don't think he's going to finish all the existing storylines and I don't want any more frustration. DW won't live forever and I have this sinking feeling he's going to die with a dozen sprawling storylines with no resolution. :(

I might point out the Out of the Dark has a sequel that is due to drop in January from Tor - and I have seen a prelim copy and can say that it ends on a cliff hanger that absolutely requires resolution (even though it is a cliff hanger he has used before - which one you ask - I can only quote RFC - tum-te-tum).
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by bkwormlisa   » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:17 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:I might point out the Out of the Dark has a sequel that is due to drop in January from Tor - and I have seen a prelim copy and can say that it ends on a cliff hanger that absolutely requires resolution (even though it is a cliff hanger he has used before - which one you ask - I can only quote RFC - tum-te-tum).

I knew there was a sequel, actually. I said that mostly because I don't feel that it needed one. Of course, I was one of the ones that didn't much like that book's ending, which probably has something to do with it. Thanks for mentioning the cliffhanger; I think I will give it a pass until/unless he finishes the series. Then maybe I'll try it again.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:48 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

bkwormlisa wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:I might point out the Out of the Dark has a sequel that is due to drop in January from Tor - and I have seen a prelim copy and can say that it ends on a cliff hanger that absolutely requires resolution (even though it is a cliff hanger he has used before - which one you ask - I can only quote RFC - tum-te-tum).

I knew there was a sequel, actually. I said that mostly because I don't feel that it needed one. Of course, I was one of the ones that didn't much like that book's ending, which probably has something to do with it. Thanks for mentioning the cliffhanger; I think I will give it a pass until/unless he finishes the series. Then maybe I'll try it again.

Not to say there isn't a lot of resolution to things in this book, but there is definitely a hook for a future book as well.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Infantry66   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:22 am

Infantry66
Midshipman

I know it is a repeat question. I am sorry, if I didn't understand the replies to the question. I understand that may not be an interest in the Dahak series after so many years. I also understand the reason behind not wanting anyone without experience writing science fiction writing the sequels due for quality control purposes. However, I think I read some where that David Weber had two sequels planned. Is that still a valid statement?

PS: I started reading the Dahak series as a word file on a CD which came with one of the Honor Harrington hard cover books.
Post by orelsi   » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:59 pm

orelsi
Ensign

Sadly I don't see it happening in the next 5 to 10 years. RFC has too much on his plate as it is. Maybe after that :)

Return to Dahak