Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

A Lot Of The Fine Posts Here Are WAY TOO LONG!

Alternate history buff? Wander on over for a discussion about Eric Flint's 1632 series!
A Lot Of The Fine Posts Here Are WAY TOO LONG!
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I do not have the time to read slowly read through them. Can you just please summarise? Also you are clogging up this great forum. Please do not kill the messenger.

I think developing a railroad at all is just too much, too fast and too resource intensive. How about just concentrating on good roads and a telegraph system? HB of CJ (old coot)

PS; Way back before the dawn of time, we as Cub Scouts were taught how to make two way radios out of junk, potatoes and vinegar. How about a $for-pay$ radio-comm system?
Re: A Lot Of The Fine Posts Here Are WAY TOO LONG!
Post by munroburton   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:50 am

munroburton
Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:I do not have the time to read slowly read through them. Can you just please summarise? Also you are clogging up this great forum. Please do not kill the messenger.

I think developing a railroad at all is just too much, too fast and too resource intensive. How about just concentrating on good roads and a telegraph system? HB of CJ (old coot)

PS; Way back before the dawn of time, we as Cub Scouts were taught how to make two way radios out of junk, potatoes and vinegar. How about a $for-pay$ radio-comm system?

These forums are already clogged up. That's the thing about forums - the number of posts will only go higher and higher. Like a car's mileage. Board statistics: Total posts 108937 • Total topics 3248 • Total members 2648

Long posts, as long as they're logically consistent, are fine with me. Better than the same amount of words spread out over ten posts, IMO.

Thing to remember about the alternate history slash time travel situations - those people are stuck there. They've only got the remaining span of their lives to drag humanity up by the bootstraps.

The railway revolution is largely responsible for acceleration of the industrial revolution. They made it easy to transport many many tonnes of goods, raw materials and humans across long distances.

In fact, given the sheer amount of mass that gets moved around when roads are built, it's likely that an established railway network would accelerate the construction of roads.
I Stand Corrected And Thank You
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

It is not the original posts that are too long...it is the long repeats of the original posts in the many answers that are too long and take too much time to read...over again.

Like already said much better than me before, rail roads are resource intensive. It takes a lot of infrastructure to let it all work. Thus the Grantsville problem.

No iron mines. No nickel or chrome mines. No blast furnaces. Maybe some coal, but no coke yet. No power grid to power the furnaces. No nothing to speak of except nasty neighbours.

Even a "wired" telegraph may be too much. I enjoyed the short story on such. As I see it, the hillbillies have a teck flow problem...going to the other side. My opinion only on this.

Ahh...British speeel chtz...neighbors separated by a common written language. Hee hee hee. :)
Post by smr   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Amen to the long repeat of posts! I have the same problem in the Wen Spencer forum about the Elfhome series.
Post by pokermind   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

And then there is Baen's Bar where if you do not delete the previous posts they get novel length!

Poker

smr wrote:Amen to the long repeat of posts! I have the same problem in the Wen Spencer forum about the Elfhome series.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to Assiti Shards