Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

1632verse TV series possible, so Casting suggestions?

Alternate history buff? Wander on over for a discussion about Eric Flint's 1632 series!
1632verse TV series possible, so Casting suggestions?
Post by pokermind   » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:09 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hi all,

Eric Flint is in negociations to turn the 1632verse into TV series he posted on Baen's Bar in the 1632Tech forum some threads on this. He wrote:

Hi, all

The initial interest in doing a TV series based on the 1632 series that I reported here last year never came to fruition. That's why I haven't followed up on the steps I laid out here at the time.
Recently, however, a new party has approached me on the subject. Two parties, in fact, although I think one of them probably doesn't have the resources to really be able to do it. The other party, though, is a well-established TV production company that has already produced over half a dozen successful TV series or mini-series. It's still too soon to tell if a deal will be made, but it looks promising.
This new party has stated that they'd want to obtain the rights to the entire series, so that they could use material published in any venue--novels, paper anthologies, the electronic magazine, the works. The odds are low, of course, that they'd use much material beyond some novels, but they want to have as much latitude as possible.
For that to happen, I need to simplify the legal status of all material published in the series, insofar as it pertains to selling dramatic rights. Neither this production company nor any other on the face of the planet wants to have to negotiate rights with 114 separate people--and that's how many authors there are in the series as of today.

[Snip legal stuff for Grantville Gazette, and book co-authors]

There has been in this thread casting suggestions:

Me, "I wonder who Eric would choose to play Mike? Mat Damen perhaps?"

GaryH wrote:Good point, Charlie. An English-speaking audience is of course the primary target. However, efforts should be made to attract a German-speaking audience inasmuch as the action occurs during the Thirty Years War (which the Germans refer to as their first great war). In Germany, there is a considerable interest in the Thirty Years War and its times (e.g., The Hangman's Daughter series and Das Geheimnis der Rosenlinie (2 vols.) by Wilfried Esch). Casting German or Austrian roles, such as in the case of Gretchen Richter, by actors/actresses well-known in Central Europe but relatively unknown in the US and the member states of the Commonwealth would be a plus. Alexandra Maria Lara, Julia Jentsch, Felicitas Woll, Jennifer Ulrich, Nina Hoss and Louise Grinberg would be more than suitable in performing comprimario roles. Should this be a series on the order of Game of Thrones, ZDF and/or ORF would certainly be interested in distributing it, if not parties to its production. Indeed, consideration should be given to having the German premiere in Magdeburg.

Casting Rebecca Stearns would be the most difficult. There are a number of actresses with Sephardic roots (e.g., Daniela Ruah of NCIS Los Angeles). But, finding someone who is "drop dead" gorgeous, hyper-intelligent, highly educated with a compelling presence would be quite a challenge. I wouldn't rule out Bollywood as a source for casting this character.

Jemma Redgrave of the Redgrave clan would be a good choice for Melissa Mailey. She's about the right age (a bit younger perhaps) and could convincingly perform the role of a radical Boston Brahmin.

Prague is frequently used as a proxy for historic Vienna. The series Borgia: Faith and Fear (not the Showtime series) is filmed there. And, parts of Mission Impossible -- Ghost Protocol were filmed there as well. Locations in Prague would be suitabe for exterior stock shots, as well as would Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

How about the Siege of Magdeburg as the opening scene accompanied, perhaps, by an adaptation of Prokofiev's "The Battle on the Ice" from Alexander Nevsky?

Just thinking.

Gary

And others, so any speculation guys?

Who would you like to see play your favorite character, remember low budget casting?
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: 1632verse TV series possible, so Casting suggestions?
Post by dscott8   » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 am

dscott8
Commodore

Nathan Fillion as Mike Stearns:
Post by dscott8   » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 am

dscott8
Commodore

Israeli actress Moran Atias as Becky Stearns:
Post by GaryH   » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

GaryH
Midshipman

May I suggest Emilia Attias (born March 20, 1987) for the character of Becky.

Post by dscott8   » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 am

dscott8
Commodore

GaryH wrote:May I suggest Emilia Attias (born March 20, 1987) for the character of Becky.

Funny, she doesn't look Jewish.
Post by clancy688   » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

dscott8 wrote:Funny, she doesn't look Jewish.

Look at that ass and breasts, seriously, who the hell cares about whether she looks Jewish or not? The important things are obviously right! ;) (J/K)
Post by dscott8   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:12 am

dscott8
Commodore

clancy688 wrote:
dscott8 wrote:Funny, she doesn't look Jewish.

Look at that ass and breasts, seriously, who the hell cares about whether she looks Jewish or not? The important things are obviously right! ;) (J/K)

By that logic, Britney Spears should play Melissa Mailey. Besides, I don't see that Moran is any less sexy:

Post by namelessfly   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:49 pm

namelessfly

I vote for casting all of the women then put them in a shower scene together
Post by dscott8   » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:29 am

dscott8
Commodore

namelessfly wrote:I vote for casting all of the women then put them in a shower scene together

Somehow I knew you'd find this thread.....
Post by robert132   » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:I vote for casting all of the women then put them in a shower scene together

LOL! Can't put that on TV, but a limited edition DVD ... maybe ... please?

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Assiti Shards