Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

About Mamelukes

Jerry Pournelle’s Janissaries series is alive and well. Drop in to discuss it and — especially— the latest addition: Mamelukes by Jerry himself with a little posthumous help from Phillip Pournelle and David!
Re: About Mamelukes
Post by buffalo24a   » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:20 am

buffalo24a
Midshipman

Very glad to see that this series will continue and be finished. Since we are all getting older, hope we all can survive long enough to read this story....
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 am

Peregrinator
Commander

Joat42 wrote:Finally!

I read the series a long time ago and had given up hope that the series would get a conclusion. Time for a refresher read then! :)

If I remember correctly, Jerry had written on Chaos Manor that the series would never get a true conclusion and wasn't meant to have one.
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:21 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Peregrinator wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Finally!

I read the series a long time ago and had given up hope that the series would get a conclusion. Time for a refresher read then! :)

If I remember correctly, Jerry had written on Chaos Manor that the series would never get a true conclusion and wasn't meant to have one.

Unfortunately Dr. Pournelle is no longer with us. If, perhaps, you are correct and he felt it should have no true conclusion, he should have concluded the series (not the story) sometime over the 20+ years he had to bring the series to an end. As it is, the story may be ended by the survival of Rick and the mercenaries, the permanent establishment of the University and the eventual overthrow of the Galactic league (or whatever it is called) by wild humans from Tran.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Mamelukes