Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Book 5 To Come?

Jerry Pournelle’s Janissaries series is alive and well. Drop in to discuss it and — especially— the latest addition: Mamelukes by Jerry himself with a little posthumous help from Phillip Pournelle and David!
Book 5 To Come?
Post by jlrice54   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:27 am

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 am

I just finished Mamelukes. I really enjoyed the book as I was always a fan of the Janissaries series. I would check his Chaos Manor column in Byte as much for news about new books as for Dr Pournelle's insight on the tech world. But questions come to mind.

Will there be a possible 5 Volume? It seems that were enough unanswered questions to provide hooks for Book 5.

What was the backstory of Lorraine "Spirit" Santori's reason for leaving Earth? Just being a disgraced cop shouldn't have caused that, there has to be more to the story.

There is still the question of the Five Kingdoms hanging out there as well as other populations either revealed or unrevealed. There were the Tongans, others past the territory of the Westmen and who knows what groups have been dumped in other areas of the planet. And Rick's prestige and power as Caesar, Emperor of Rome will surely have grown past Ganton's as Wanax of Drantos so how will that play out? I can see Ganton harboring some serious resentment.

How quickly will they be able to fast track technology research and development while concealing it from the Confederation? It's not just a century of research and prior art they will have to leapfrog but a millennium of progress. I know the materials in the container will help but they have 30 generations of progress to short cut.

I'm not sure what kind of notes, outlines or other documents about his ultimate plans to the story arc were left by JP but this just seems too much like a cliffhanger to be the end of the story.
Top
(Spoiler)Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

This should probably have a spoiler tag on it, as the hardcover has been out less than 1 month.

jlrice54 wrote:I just finished Mamelukes. I really enjoyed the book as I was always a fan of the Janissaries series. I would check his Chaos Manor column in Byte as much for news about new books as for Dr Pournelle's insight on the tech world. But questions come to mind.

Will there be a possible 5 Volume? It seems that were enough unanswered questions to provide hooks for Book 5.

What was the backstory of Lorraine "Spirit" Santori's reason for leaving Earth? Just being a disgraced cop shouldn't have caused that, there has to be more to the story.

There is still the question of the Five Kingdoms hanging out there as well as other populations either revealed or unrevealed. There were the Tongans, others past the territory of the Westmen and who knows what groups have been dumped in other areas of the planet. And Rick's prestige and power as Caesar, Emperor of Rome will surely have grown past Ganton's as Wanax of Drantos so how will that play out? I can see Ganton harboring some serious resentment.

How quickly will they be able to fast track technology research and development while concealing it from the Confederation? It's not just a century of research and prior art they will have to leapfrog but a millennium of progress. I know the materials in the container will help but they have 30 generations of progress to short cut.

I'm not sure what kind of notes, outlines or other documents about his ultimate plans to the story arc were left by JP but this just seems too much like a cliffhanger to be the end of the story.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: (Spoiler)Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by justdave   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:51 pm

justdave
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am

fallsfromtrees wrote:This should probably have a spoiler tag on it, as the hardcover has been out less than 1 month.

jlrice54 wrote:I just finished Mamelukes. I really enjoyed the book as I was always a fan of the Janissaries series. I would check his Chaos Manor column in Byte as much for news about new books as for Dr Pournelle's insight on the tech world. But questions come to mind.

Will there be a possible 5 Volume? It seems that were enough unanswered questions to provide hooks for Book 5.

What was the backstory of Lorraine "Spirit" Santori's reason for leaving Earth? Just being a disgraced cop shouldn't have caused that, there has to be more to the story.

There is still the question of the Five Kingdoms hanging out there as well as other populations either revealed or unrevealed. There were the Tongans, others past the territory of the Westmen and who knows what groups have been dumped in other areas of the planet. And Rick's prestige and power as Caesar, Emperor of Rome will surely have grown past Ganton's as Wanax of Drantos so how will that play out? I can see Ganton harboring some serious resentment.

How quickly will they be able to fast track technology research and development while concealing it from the Confederation? It's not just a century of research and prior art they will have to leapfrog but a millennium of progress. I know the materials in the container will help but they have 30 generations of progress to short cut.

I'm not sure what kind of notes, outlines or other documents about his ultimate plans to the story arc were left by JP but this just seems too much like a cliffhanger to be the end of the story.


Agree on spoiler tag, lol. As I posted earlier, I see recycled Jerry here, not a bad thing. Echoes of the end of Prince of Sparta and King David’s Spaceship.
Top
Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by jasonenberg   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:11 pm

jasonenberg
Midshipman

Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Great story. As you said lots left unfinished. Could be several more novels depending on how much they want to cover on Tran and how much / how soon they want to jump into the Galatics part of the story.

I suspect we won't see anymore. Most authors probably don't want someone else to continue their story. And probably most authors would prefer to write their own.

Its been a long time since 1987 when Storms of Victory was published. It is great to see more of this series. I really hadn't expected to see more after all this time but glad we did.

I certainly would buy book 5 if ever written.
Top
Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by justdave   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:23 am

justdave
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am

jasonenberg wrote:Great story. As you said lots left unfinished. Could be several more novels depending on how much they want to cover on Tran and how much / how soon they want to jump into the Galatics part of the story.

I suspect we won't see anymore. Most authors probably don't want someone else to continue their story. And probably most authors would prefer to write their own.

Its been a long time since 1987 when Storms of Victory was published. It is great to see more of this series. I really hadn't expected to see more after all this time but glad we did.

I certainly would buy book 5 if ever written.


check out the MWW’s YouTube channel and Baen’s for archived discussions on this, basically he and Phillip are planning on continuing the series
Top
Re: Book 5 To Come?
Post by jasonenberg   » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:44 am

jasonenberg
Midshipman

Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm

justdave wrote:
jasonenberg wrote:Great story. As you said lots left unfinished. Could be several more novels depending on how much they want to cover on Tran and how much / how soon they want to jump into the Galatics part of the story.

I suspect we won't see anymore. Most authors probably don't want someone else to continue their story. And probably most authors would prefer to write their own.

Its been a long time since 1987 when Storms of Victory was published. It is great to see more of this series. I really hadn't expected to see more after all this time but glad we did.

I certainly would buy book 5 if ever written.


check out the MWW’s YouTube channel and Baen’s for archived discussions on this, basically he and Phillip are planning on continuing the series


Good news. I listened to the Baen's YouTube channel as suggested. Part 3 of the Mamelukes chat had the details about continuing the series if anyone else is curious.
Top

Return to Mamelukes