Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Weltall File eARC is out

David's and Jacob Holo's newest alternate, cross history series.
Weltall File eARC is out
Post by turol   » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:09 pm

turol
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Who needs snippets when you have the eARC?

https://www.baen.com/the-weltall-file-earc.html
Re: Weltall File eARC is out
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:18 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

turol wrote:Who needs snippets when you have the eARC?

https://www.baen.com/the-weltall-file-earc.html

Out since Monday, the 6th. There are 8 chapters in the sample, one mentioned a feature in the terraforming of the Moon that should cause serious trouble (but, since I won't buy the eArc, I won't know if Weber and Holo realized this until June). The Moon's rotation was sped up to match Earth's. This means that there will be tides in what ever oceans the Moon has. BIG TIDES. I don't know how big, but Earth's tidal force on the Moon is about 20 times that of the Moon on Earth.

Some might consider the above to be a spoiler, but to those fussbudgets, I offer the following:

1) It is in the sample pages, available to anybody who looks
2) It is background, not plot (if it becomes a plot point would that be a spoiler)
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Jacob Holo   » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:28 pm

Jacob Holo
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:There are 8 chapters in the sample, one mentioned a feature in the terraforming of the Moon that should cause serious trouble (but, since I won't buy the eArc, I won't know if Weber and Holo realized this until June). The Moon's rotation was sped up to match Earth's. This means that there will be tides in what ever oceans the Moon has. BIG TIDES. I don't know how big, but Earth's tidal force on the Moon is about 20 times that of the Moon on Earth.

Please, have a little faith! ;)

Basically, SysGov spent around a century and a half fixing the moon’s rotation, terraforming the surface, and making some massive macro-level “landscaping” changes. Also, while the tidal forces are much stronger, the bodies of water are far smaller and more isolated. Land (and its potential for development) would be considered more valuable than large bodies of water, so the terraforming process would skew in that direction.

And, given that this is SysGov we’re talking about, they tend to view these sorts of things as opportunities rather than problems. Which is how we arrive at the second to the last scene in the book. :D
Post by nahihua535   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 am

nahihua535
Midshipman

I know about "A New Clan" in Stephanie Harrington series, and "A Call to Insurrection" in Travis Long series, but I was not able to find information bout planned books in the main / spies / Talbott Cluster series.

Return to Gordian Division